Jack Monroe #452 Pulped Fiction

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tender Frauen I've taken one for the team and transcribed the Sonia Poulton piece below. Is it worth adding to the wiki (if so could a powerful Frau do that)?

Video here, starts at about 37 minutes: https://brandnewtube.com/watch/zXJ7KWuAOUgsR8u

Jack Monroe. Are you familiar with Jack Monroe? She is basically the sort of acceptable face of what UK poverty is supposed to look like. And I promise you if I hadn’t seen all of this happen with my own eyes I wouldn’t believe it. But I know one day that her story is going to be one of those Netflix features, sort of some big exposé in its own right.

She basically appeared about 10 years ago; I was working at The People’s Voice at the time, and one of the journalists on my team said ‘have you heard of Jack Monroe?’ which wasn’t actually her name; her name was… well she changed it to Jack Monroe but she was born M****** H**********. And he was very middle class and she was very middle class and very much supported by The Guardian who made her, really, the face of British poverty. She’s been backed by all these establishment sort of nepo-babes such as Tom Parker-Bowles, son of the Queen, Camilla; Nigella Lawson, daughter of former Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Lawson.

These are upper middle class chefs who don’t understand poverty and so they crown a middle class person ‘The Saviour of the Poor’. But the thing is for Jack Monroe is along the way her words and actions and backstory have captured the attention of a lot of people who have found lots of inconsistencies with what she has been saying; most noticeably the website Tattle who have meticulously captured her with her own words. And honestly, it’s damning, absolutely damning.

Yesterday she released her 7th cookbook, Thrifty Kitchen, and frankly it’s a howler. It’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. So bad has been the backlash that Monroe and those involved with the book have attempted to put a brave face on things, but it’s difficult to when you start to read what is actually in this book. To such a degree, that the publishers Pan MacMillan released a statement saying there will be amendments and, more, Trussell Trust which is a national chain of foodbanks… they were due to receive a copy of the book for every copy sold through a particular bookseller and they tweeted that they won’t be distributing any books in its [sic] current form. It will have to be subject to amendments and addendums, and it’s really an astonishing story.

This is a woman who is apparently… she… I mean she’s basically sort of this poverty tourist, she really comes from a very middle class background. Her grandfather and her father are landlords; her father has an MBE for I think work with fostering children, and… she… I come from poverty. I know what real, grinding poverty is and Jack Monroe is not it. But because she’s been supported by all these establishment people, as I say she’s the acceptable face of poverty.

But it’s all now coming on top because you cannot maintain this for… for that long and this has been a decade of her doing this and basically, some of the tips that she has in this book are absolutely shocking. People can literally harm themselves with these tips, such as sanding down a tuna tin for egg rings.

Now, as I say, I was born in poverty; we were lucky if we had eggs, much less egg rings. Egg rings make these perfectly circular fried eggs, right? No poor person thinks about that and they certainly aren’t about to be sanding down a tuna tin to make egg rings: that’s ridiculous. The other thing she said is if you don’t have a tin opener, use a mallet and a sharp knife; again, absolutely ridiculous, insane tips, that no person in poverty, not in true poverty, would even consider doing.

I seriously wonder if she was of… to be fair… sound mind writing this but the people who are most culpable are those around her who have facilitated this, right? Pan MacMillan, the editors… these establishment chefs; Nigella Lawson who has written, in the book, advocating for Jack Monroe.

And it’s really bad because actually what Jack Monroe has been, is… she has been a prop to Tory austerity for 10 years. She tells people ‘oh, you can feed a family for twenty quid a week’. This is nonsense. It is not for middle class people to tell impoverished people that they should be managing their money better. That is an establishment ideal.

Me personally, I’m really happy to see Jack Monroe being shown in this way. It’s time. It’s really important because she has avoided scrutiny for years. She has a number of tactics, a playbook of tactics that she uses as soon as people start to ask questions about the numerous outstanding issues including her Patreon, including what’s happened with fundraising money. She resorts to victimhood. She infantilises the situation. She comes up with a new medical condition. She claims people are attacking her because she’s working class – she’s not. She claims that it’s because she’s non-binary and trans. She says it’s because she’s tattooed. She says it’s because she’s autistic, which is highly questionable. Whether she is or she isn’t.

But what I do know is that she is somebody who raises up all these things as soon as the questions start to get a little bit too hot. So I wanted to bring her to your attention, because you may or may not be familiar with her, but certainly you will hear a great deal about her over the next few days because her story is now going into the stratosphere; that is what’s happening here.

And I think it’s an important story that needs to be covered, and I just want to read a little bit from this statement from Pan Macmillan; so they put it out, they didn’t care that this was going to ‘poor people’ until there was a backlash on social media. And their statement talks about the hacks, some of which I’ve referred to, saying ‘they came from when Jack found herself in extreme circumstances of food poverty and necessity required creative solutions to overcome the obstacles’. She was on benefits for, I think, a matter of months, a year and a half at most. And when you have that sort of family situation around you, you’re never really in extreme poverty.

This is cosplay. And I object to it. Coming from poverty, I object to people cosplaying my experience. And that is my position on Jack Monroe. I don’t like what she’s done and I’m glad to see that it’s finally all coming on top, frankly.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 138
Imagine arguing about a dangerous book on Twitter and attending every argument and then bolstering your arguments with more lies. A life beyond your wildest dreams eh? Come on Fraus and Herrs, y'all are jealous that you can't do this all day long every day.

On another note, yesterday's chaos has already won the Sloppies 2023.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 82
I consider myself a lefty so it pains me to say it but that Simon Harris is such a VS PRICK! I had to mute him he makes me rage!
I have convinced myself all these people are part of a right wing plot to make the left look like fuds. It makes it easier to bear, somehow.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Someone really needs to amend that bloody press release for GK where it claims to be “guaranteed to save you money”. I’ve seen it repeated in so many places and that one sentence alone is such a blatant lie.
Guaranteed to save you money IF YOU DON'T BUY IT, lol

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
It’s quite astonishing that her publisher and the organisation she has got a tie in with have both made public statements about GK but she hasn’t. I’m guessing she‘s out of contract with Bluebird.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Jack, you multilingual singing talent, how do you say in Italian "my very round egg has metal scraps in it"?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 86
I hope her Patreons see all this speaking fee stuff. I mean no wonder she doesn’t give a tit about fulfilling any of it, it’s just small change to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Tender Frauen I've taken one for the team and transcribed the Sonia Poulton piece below. Is it worth adding to the wiki (if so could a powerful Frau do that)?

Video here, starts at about 37 minutes: https://brandnewtube.com/watch/zXJ7KWuAOUgsR8u

Jack Monroe. Are you familiar with Jack Monroe? She is basically the sort of acceptable face of what UK poverty is supposed to look like. And I promise you if I hadn’t seen all of this happen with my own eyes I wouldn’t believe it. But I know one day that her story is going to be one of those Netflix features, sort of some big exposé in its own right.

She basically appeared about 10 years ago; I was working at The People’s Voice at the time, and one of the journalists on my team said ‘have you heard of Jack Monroe?’ which wasn’t actually her name; her name was… well she changed it to Jack Monroe but she was born M****** H**********. And he was very middle class and she was very middle class and very much supported by The Guardian who made her, really, the face of British poverty. She’s been backed by all these establishment sort of nepo-babes such as Tom Parker-Bowles, son of the Queen, Camilla; Nigella Lawson, daughter of former Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Lawson.

These are upper middle class chefs who don’t understand poverty and so they crown a middle class person ‘The Saviour of the Poor’. But the thing is for Jack Monroe is along the way her words and actions and backstory have captured the attention of a lot of people who have found lots of inconsistencies with what she has been saying; most noticeably the website Tattle who have meticulously captured her with her own words. And honestly, it’s damning, absolutely damning.

Yesterday she released her 7th cookbook, Thrifty Kitchen, and frankly it’s a howler. It’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. So bad has been the backlash that Monroe and those involved with the book have attempted to put a brave face on things, but it’s difficult to when you start to read what is actually in this book. To such a degree, that the publishers Pan MacMillan released a statement saying there will be amendments and, more, Trussell Trust which is a national chain of foodbanks… they were due to receive a copy of the book for every copy sold through a particular bookseller and they tweeted that they won’t be distributing any books in its [sic] current form. It will have to be subject to amendments and addendums, and it’s really an astonishing story.

This is a woman who is apparently… she… I mean she’s basically sort of this poverty tourist, she really comes from a very middle class background. Her grandfather and her father are landlords; her father has an MBE for I think work with fostering children, and… she… I come from poverty. I know what real, grinding poverty is and Jack Monroe is not it. But because she’s been supported by all these establishment people, as I say she’s the acceptable face of poverty.

But it’s all now coming on top because you cannot maintain this for… for that long and this has been a decade of her doing this and basically, some of the tips that she has in this book are absolutely shocking. People can literally harm themselves with these tips, such as sanding down a tuna tin for egg rings.

Now, as I say, I was born in poverty; we were lucky if we had eggs, much less egg rings. Egg rings make these perfectly circular fried eggs, right? No poor person thinks about that and they certainly aren’t about to be sanding down a tuna tin to make egg rings: that’s ridiculous. The other thing she said is if you don’t have a tin opener, use a mallet and a sharp knife; again, absolutely ridiculous, insane tips, that no person in poverty, not in true poverty, would even consider doing.

I seriously wonder if she was of… to be fair… sound mind writing this but the people who are most culpable are those around her who have facilitated this, right? Pan MacMillan, the editors… these establishment chefs; Nigella Lawson who has written, in the book, advocating for Jack Monroe.

And it’s really bad because actually what Jack Monroe has been, is… she has been a prop to Tory austerity for 10 years. She tells people ‘oh, you can feed a family for twenty quid a week’. This is nonsense. It is not for middle class people to tell impoverished people that they should be managing their money better. That is an establishment ideal.

Me personally, I’m really happy to see Jack Monroe being shown in this way. It’s time. It’s really important because she has avoided scrutiny for years. She has a number of tactics, a playbook of tactics that she uses as soon as people start to ask questions about the numerous outstanding issues including her Patreon, including what’s happened with fundraising money. She resorts to victimhood. She infantilises the situation. She comes up with a new medical condition. She claims people are attacking her because she’s working class – she’s not. She claims that it’s because she’s non-binary and trans. She says it’s because she’s tattooed. She says it’s because she’s autistic, which is highly questionable. Whether she is or she isn’t.

But what I do know is that she is somebody who raises up all these things as soon as the questions start to get a little bit too hot. So I wanted to bring her to your attention, because you may or may not be familiar with her, but certainly you will hear a great deal about her over the next few days because her story is now going into the stratosphere; that is what’s happening here.

And I think it’s an important story that needs to be covered, and I just want to read a little bit from this statement from Pan Macmillan; so they put it out, they didn’t care that this was going to ‘poor people’ until there was a backlash on social media. And their statement talks about the hacks, some of which I’ve referred to, saying ‘they came from when Jack found herself in extreme circumstances of food poverty and necessity required creative solutions to overcome the obstacles’. She was on benefits for, I think, a matter of months, a year and a half at most. And when you have that sort of family situation around you, you’re never really in extreme poverty.

This is cosplay. And I object to it. Coming from poverty, I object to people cosplaying my experience. And that is my position on Jack Monroe. I don’t like what she’s done and I’m glad to see that it’s finally all coming on top, frankly.
Superb and fairly succint. It will be interesting to see if this does become stratospheric and result in a Netflix doc 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.