Jack Monroe #433 Let them eat copies of Thrifty Kitchen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone I know very well did an trial afternoon on a telephone sex chat line. She didn't bother going back, and thus didn't get paid. I could believe JM spinning something like that out into "sex worker."
I know this is off topic but I'm dying to hear about the deets.

Reactions: 14
She has said she was a sex worker. This was before she had SB apparently, and later in 2013 she “turned to prostitution to survive”. She also claims she has worked in a brothel. we don’t have any further information. However bear in mind she claimed to have invented Sure Start vouchers and the Vulcan Boombox Institute and they were lies so…

• Haha
Reactions: 83
I doubt any of us would have cause to ever mention SB if Jack had not made him such an integral part of Jack Lore.

I am not a huge fan of the way she uses him to make some clout chasing point about herself, for example the dino snores incident, the smashing of the woman of the year award, mamapapa you look like a princess.

I personally would not discuss my “several s****de attempts” in the direct context of being a single parent to my young son, in a national newspaper. It’s a horrible way to find that out about your parent. I wouldn’t reveal that my child was seeing a therapist on social media either.

It’s not really SB that we’re gossiping about on these threads, it’s Jacks stupid, insensitive narratives about him.
I know I'll mention that he doesn't live there when Jack's being a dick* but I am honestly seriously uncomfortable with how much information she's put out there about him. She paints him as vulnerable and makes him easy to find (uh, if he were there regularly). I cannot wrap my head around parents who are so bleeping useless with online safety. Don't even want kids and if proper gives me the rage. Like, most of us probably had some creep try to groom us online when we were 12, right? Right?? 😭

*Gotta say though, if she was my mum I wouldn't want anyone thinking I actually lived with her.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 66
I know I'll mention that he doesn't live there when Jack's being a dick* but I am honestly seriously uncomfortable with how much information she's put out there about him. She paints him as vulnerable and makes him easy to find (uh, if he were there regularly). I cannot wrap my head around parents who are so bleeping useless with online safety. Don't even want kids and if proper gives me the rage. Like, most of us probably had some creep try to groom us online when we were 12, right? Right?? 😭

*Gotta say though, if she was my mum I wouldn't want anyone thinking I actually lived with her.
I really hope the kid isn't with her the majority of the time. The house has no signs of a kid there at all. I know 12 year old don't have the toys of younger kids, but there would be something, surely. I passed kids of around year 7 age (11-12) in Asda looking at the toys, the Lego and the Minecraft stuff things.

I understand tidying up for photos, but even the photo of the jigsaw puzzle she posted showed a boring design. I'd be doing a Star Wars one, or Jurassic World or whatever the kid is interested in.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I really hope the kid isn't with her the majority of the time. The house has no signs of a kid there at all. I know 12 year old don't have the toys of younger kids, but there would be something, surely. I passed kids of around year 7 age (11-12) in Asda looking at the toys, the Lego and the Minecraft stuff things.

I understand tidying up for photos, but even the photo of the jigsaw puzzle she posted showed a boring design. I'd be doing a Star Wars one, or Jurassic World or whatever the kid is interested in.
Plus she's such a hoarder...she keeps gu pots and ring pulls etc but there's no kids toys lurking, or games kit, or school uniform, books etc. The only thing she seems to have is that lion that she pulls out for a woe is me tale.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
The discount code is useless anyway, because it refers to part of her site which is defunct*. Has she not posted out anything from that photo she took where it was all ready to go to the post office, I wonder? She just makes things worse and worse for herself. But hopefully that one post will have reminded patrons that they're still paying her and receiving nothing in return. No evidence they're even helping her with her non existent ~behind the scenes campaigning work~. I'll never understand how she's so shameless but after years and years of taking money other people's money for nothing, I guess she feels somehow entitled to it?

*ETA I wonder how much she managed to squeeze out of her followers when she repeatedly asked them to donate to her paypal in order to fix the website. Which never happened either.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
I don’t think anyone has received anything in the post since she sent those roast beef Monster munch to Australia, and three twixes to a squig who is stand-up comedy adjacent.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
Fraus, has she ever talked about going on the council housing list back in the pov days? Vulnerable single mother would be high priority.
I understand there is horrendously long lists but she would have been offered a place by now.

If a secure home for SB is number one priority, why not? Totally unnecessary drama and upheaval.

I cannot imagine insisting on everything happening the hard way for internet sympathy and grifts.

ETA: Unless she was deemed to be voluntarily homeless maybe? Leaving your well paid job because you refuse external childcare wouldn’t garner much sympathy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
Maybe she thought Grandpa would cough up money in response to her ads for the Big Sell? Grandpa sounds like a bit of a horror show, tbf, from Jack's own loving stories of him.
My thoughts exactly. Grandpa’s about to fall off his perch, cue Jack and a locally advertised Open House to sell all of her worldly possessions. Timing not co-incidental, she was after a cut from his estate.

Reactions: 46
I’d just like to add one thing. I’m not sure why so many on here unquestioningly believe those sort of tweets ‘I’ve sent you my carers allowance Jack’ and use them as evidence that Jack takes from the poor. We have no idea of the real circumstances behind any social media account and I’m convinced that some of them are those absolutely deranged trolls that follow her around the internet. They’ve made it their life’s work to bring her down and are in many ways worse than Jack.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
In a weird conspiracy theory plot twist I wonder if the grift was known and encouraged by the family. Maybe big Dave is a Walter Mitty type too.
Definitely something off about Big Dave... not sure if he's a Walter Mitty but men with an ego the size of his are not to be trusted. Super bad vibes from him.

Reactions: 36
I remember watching a documentary about sex phone workers who would slosh around a can of paint as ‘sexy’ noises…maybe this is why all Jacks food so…sloppy…

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
What happened to all those envelopes and prints? Where they props? OR will she blame posties strike for the missing deliveries? Because sure as hell they’re not accessible anywhere during the hecking huge declutter/move.

Reactions: 40
Because its a desperate attempt by her management/pr/publisher to try and regain some credibility?

I do feel sorry for her because even though it is 100% her fault, it does seem like her whole life has collapsed over the last few months now the grift is up. It must be really hard to try and deal with that 180 shift in direction even/particularly when you are griftmeister extrordanaire and that is your whole plan.
I am most interested in whether she is buying somewhere and if so, how her mortgage repayment plans will be affected by the (presumable) drop in her income now she’s become toxic to brands.
Or is she just funding it via her Patreons who seem happy to sub her for literally nothing in return?

Reactions: 28
I’d just like to add one thing. I’m not sure why so many on here unquestioningly believe those sort of tweets ‘I’ve sent you my carers allowance Jack’ and use them as evidence that Jack takes from the poor. We have no idea of the real circumstances behind any social media account and I’m convinced that some of them are those absolutely deranged trolls that follow her around the internet. They’ve made it their life’s work to bring her down and are in many ways worse than Jack.
I tend to believe the older ones where people commented on her blog saying stuff like that. A lot of the newer ones on Twitter feel more questionable. Although there was the one Jack eventually refunded, so they'd definitely given money although we don't know if was from their fuel allowance (or whatever)

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Fraus, has she ever talked about going on the council housing list back in the pov days? Vulnerable single mother would be high priority.
I understand there is horrendously long lists but she would have been offered a place by now.

If a secure home for SB is number one priority, why not? Totally unnecessary drama and upheaval.

I cannot imagine insisting on everything happening the hard way for internet sympathy and grifts.

ETA: Unless she was deemed to be voluntarily homeless maybe? Leaving your well paid job because you refuse external childcare wouldn’t garner much sympathy.
There was a post on here a few threads back where Our Jack mentioned finding a private rental somewhere and setting aside the council house forms "with relief," which is another of those "no poor person would actually do/say/think that" moments for me as local authority housing is generally cheaper and more stable than private lets. She (and SB) wouldn't have had to move so many times if she had actually filled in those forms, but the impression from her phrasing seemed to be that getting a council house was a terrible prospect, full of disappointment and shame. I know the rules vary from place to place but around here 🔺if you become homeless with a young child in your care the council have to get a roof over your head immediately, which usually means putting you into a bed and breakfast (just like Old Grandfather Jack ran, so possibly JM knew this and the sort of conditions she might have to put up with in that situation?), and you'd basically go straight to the top of the housing list, because obviously it looks awful if a local authority let a child sleep on the streets. Do any Southend Frauen have any insights into the council house situation in that area?

And she could have painted the walls any colour she liked in that council house too!

• Heart
Reactions: 73
Just want to clear up some things before I head off to buy some ready brek.

1. I didn’t mean to cast shade on the new Cotswold furniture. We all have our own tastes and I certainly didn’t want to imply that the Cotswold stuff was ugly because I was fully aware people on here might like it. I have stuff from JL ffs. I meant it as a joke because she has so many of their items which kind of defeats the purpose of them being an aspirational company.

2. When I said I used to like Jack I was trying to say that at one time or another some (many?) of us have been taken in by her. It was a while ago, I was busy, didn’t have the time to be fully discerning and so feel guilty and foolish particularly when I look back. Lots of us are here because of the recent chaoses but lots of us are here because Jack was someone who touched us in some way, and things started to not add up. Looking back at the blogs, the old (old) Instagram page makes me feel nostalgic for the time I was naive to her cons, but also for the me I was then. It is all locked up together. When I feel sorry for her, like others, I feel sorry for what she has missed out on, but what also is now coming to pass.

3. The early days of these threads were simpler but I think that is tied up in the fact that we were in lockdown. Those times were unique in so many ways. When we look back at what we discussed here we cannot compare it to the current situation when as well as the Jack chaos there is the literal bin fire of our own and the world’s chaos.

I apologise for long, rambling post. Lack of sleep, perspective, anything much really has led me here.

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 103
It's also often a grift in and of itself:

Jack: "help, website broke"
Sad Sack: "oh you poor thing, I've sent you my last tenner, good thing we have enough leftover dog food and toothpaste to feed my 5 kids until March. We can take it in turns to share the one pair of shoes we have"
Gullible Onlooker: "oh Sad Sack, you are clearly such a good person! Send me your Paypal, Karma has a little treat coming your way..."

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.