Jack Monroe #433 Let them eat copies of Thrifty Kitchen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The free ebook is going to have 10 recipes from Grifty, and the rest are from previous titles. I bet we could probably guess at all of them.

I bet the bleeping peach and chickpea curry will feature, the salad bag of botulism, and probably one risotto made with the wrong rice.
Since it's pretty easy and quick to put together an e-book of previously published material, it would not surprise me in the least if the publisher's staff are looking through the Slopalong posts to ID those very few recipes that got passing scores.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 62
So I did a bit more digging on the free e-book that's (allegedly) going to be released along with Thrifty Kitchen. Its formal title is 30 Thrifty Meals for Less (which is redundant, the meals wouldn't be thrifty if they didn't cost less) and according to the press release in the trade magazine, it can be downloaded from the publisher's website and from the Trussell Trust website.

But like most things Jack, this doesn't make sense. If the Trussell Trust wants to encourage people to buy Grifty Kitchen so it can be donated to about 100 unlucky food banks, why is it giving away a free e-book with at least some of the same slop recipes?
That big green book shop is selling signed copies for the RRP £19.99
The promotion at £18.99 is really guilt trippy because out of the people who will actually buy this who's gonna buy themselves a copy for half price on Amazon but then not 'pay it forward' for less then the book 'should' cost. Seems like the RRP was set at that just for this promotion honestly, being the highest RRP so far.
Also there's no info on how well received thr previous 'sponsored' books were, given how this bloke can't give two copies away for free after months of trying. Are they all just sat in the back rooms of food banks somewhere.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I just don't buy the shitting dog as a sex worker, she'd get eaten alive in the first hour. She's nowhere near assertive enough to control a client.
Or she'd start getting snarky with them about how she told them things to get them excited and it's not her fault that didn't work DO THEY WANT HER TO STOP BREATHING

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Because its a desperate attempt by her management/pr/publisher to try and regain some credibility?

I do feel sorry for her because even though it is 100% her fault, it does seem like her whole life has collapsed over the last few months now the grift is up. It must be really hard to try and deal with that 180 shift in direction even/particularly when you are griftmeister extrordanaire and that is your whole plan.
I do have a degree of sympathy for her, certainly more than she'd have for me or anyone else if we were undergoing a similar public humiliation. I'd like to think she'll learn from it but I've thought that a lot since I realised what she was. She deserves everything she's brought down on her head and in the long term she'll be fine. I just feel sad about all the great opportunities she's squandered and wish they'd gone to someone who could have made something of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I do have a degree of sympathy for her, certainly more than she'd have for me or anyone else if we were undergoing a similar public humiliation. I'd like to think she'll learn from it but I've thought that a lot since I realised what she was. She deserves everything she's brought down on her head and in the long term she'll be fine. I just feel sad about all the great opportunities she's squandered and wish they'd gone to someone who could have made something of them.
This is the thing isn’t it? She would have no sympathy for someone going through the same and would probably stick the knife in even further. She’s long participated in the circular firing squad of Twitter and made a career out of it. And now she’s probably shocked that it’s turned on her. (Not a death threat BTW, before anyone turns the Essex police celebrity division on me.)

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Not sure she’d take him to court for full time access…. There’s a risk she’d win, then what would she do? She wouldn’t be able to go for last minute coffees in Dublin and have 6 hour sex marathons with burger boys.
I bet she'd use it as a threat still. She'd just have to come up with more excuses about why SB needs to stop at his dad's and not hers.

Reactions: 26
I do wonder what Jack will do next. She can't rattle the jar anymore. I don't think she will be able to maintain a twitter presence, at least not under her real name or the Bootstrap name. I doubt many publications or TV programmes will be booking her for a very long time. Really, what is next?

Is there a chance she could re-evaluate her life and do a course at college (catering maybe 😅), move closer to SB's dad for a fresh start, get a job earning honest money?

Is there a small chance she will look back one day and realise the scale of what she's done and how much she wasted? Not just in a financial sense but also the opportunities, the chance of truly becoming the person Nigella claims she is - 'a force for good in the world' and, most importantly, how much time she wasted arguing on the Internet when she could have been spending it with her child. 😞
She could get a Fuxking job the lazy twit. She’s worked max 6 years of her life (I’m giving her about 3 years more than she deserves here). I don’t consider anything she’s done since she had SB (or left the fire service) a job. She’s dicked about with photography, crafts, writing etc, only something someone from a very privileged position would even contemplate, until she’s landed on her feet with a rich partner to support her and/or grifting from people on the internet.

She encompasses everything middle class, a working class person or indeed anyone who has felt true poverty wouldn’t be sat day dreaming about what “arts” they could take up to fill that void in their rent payments. They’d be applying for and getting a job…because they would be too proud to be begging and they certainly couldn’t afford to buy the equipment needed to dabble in these hobbies, she’s called work, hoping they might be or get good at some stage in order to fund their life. She’s a lazy privileged little princess who lives like some wealthy spinster in a Brontë novel!

• Heart
Reactions: 100
I do wonder what Jack will do next. She can't rattle the jar anymore. I don't think she will be able to maintain a twitter presence, at least not under her real name or the Bootstrap name. I doubt many publications or TV programmes will be booking her for a very long time. Really, what is next?

Is there a chance she could re-evaluate her life and do a course at college (catering maybe 😅), move closer to SB's dad for a fresh start, get a job earning honest money?

Is there a small chance she will look back one day and realise the scale of what she's done and how much she wasted? Not just in a financial sense but also the opportunities, the chance of truly becoming the person Nigella claims she is - 'a force for good in the world' and, most importantly, how much time she wasted arguing on the Internet when she could have been spending it with her child. 😞
BIB my theory is she's going to ride this out for a bit longer (until the book drops) then rebrand as something else like she did with 'a girl called jack' to 'bootstrap cook'. It'll probably be a Jack Monroe thing but a new brand, and she's softening up the patreons now for when she swaps it and rejigs the rewards etc. The patreon is so lucrative she'd never give it up willingly but I think she's getting to the point where she knows the bootstrap brand is too played out. Note she changed the patreon username from 'onabootstrap' to 'jack monroe' since 2020 (per the archives) so this is set up to an extent. Maybe it will be the vimes boots index brand who knows, she's still banging on about that for a reason compared to most things that are never mentioned again.

Reactions: 48
BIB my theory is she's going to ride this out for a bit longer (until the book drops) then rebrand as something else like she did with 'a girl called jack' to 'bootstrap cook'. It'll probably be a Jack Monroe thing but a new brand, and she's softening up the patreons now for when she swaps it and rejigs the rewards etc. The patreon is so lucrative she'd never give it up willingly but I think she's getting to the point where she knows the bootstrap brand is too played out. Note she changed the patreon username from 'onabootstrap' to 'jack monroe' since 2020 (per the archives) so this is set up to an extent. Maybe it will be the vimes boots index brand who knows, she's still banging on about that for a reason compared to most things that are never mentioned again.
Perhaps she'll reinvent herself as something to do with bunny boiling or socks. Who can say, what will happen in the blizzard?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
As a newish Frau, I decided to review a random early thread or two today. I read part of the one where she was crying about not receiving SEISS during lockdown. Where she actually took a photo of herself fake crying in front of folders labelled with Patreon and Daily Kitchen Live (I’ve seen the photo before but seeing it in context was really appalling). And where she tweeted personal information about SB’s siblings.

I don’t think she’s a master criminal. I do think she’s a thoroughly horrible sociopath who has been given a veneer of competency by MSM and high profile celebrities.

On an entirely unrelated note, vlad has been taking photoshop lessons from Jack.

7FC59A7F-5B45-48F6-8BF7-B57E80F14365.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
A chap I used to work with kicked off a standing ovation by mistake when he had to leave quickly to catch a bus at the end of a Q&A with an author. He stood up whilst clapping to be polite, this made his mates stand up and before they knew it, the whole place was on their feet. It wasn't Jack but it's a possible explanation for her standing ovation.
🤣🤣🤣That is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard!

• Haha
Reactions: 43
The FAQs about the TT thing are interesting. If the promo finishes before end of Jan, we’ll know she’s sold 1,000 copies through that particular seller. Although technically, I’m guessing it’ll be 2,000 ‘sales’ for the purpose of reporting.

How many books will be donated to The Trussell Trust as a result of the promotion?
For each copy of Thrifty Kitchen sold via the site, Bookshop.org will donate a copy to The Trussell Trust. Bookshop.org expects to donate up to 1,000 copies of Thrifty Kitchen to food banks in the Trussell Trust's network as part of this promotion.

How long will the promotion run for?
The promotion goes live on 24 November 2022 and will run until 1,000 copies are sold or the end of January 2023, whichever comes first.
So they are aiming for sales of 2,000 books (1,000 bought + 1,000 “donated”) by the end of January, i.e. within 3 weeks after publication. Which would push it up the bestseller list, wouldn’t it? So the publisher saves face, and so does Jack. While Jack also gets paid in full.
I mean, it’s a bit dodgy isn’t it ..?

Obtaining <whatever> by deception. Only tangentially a legal frau, but I'd think the general definition of fraud was in that ballpark.
One example: I would think that taking money for her “legal fund” when she wanted to sue that MP would be sailing close to fraud, if not actual fraud. Anyone who donated to her PayPal in the belief that this would go towards Jack’s “fighting fund” might well be able to argue fraud - because they gave the money for a specific purpose and that money has clearly not been used for that purpose.
I think Jack might (possibly) be able to defend this on the grounds that, at the time she collected the money, she wasn’t being dishonest because she genuinely believed she would sue the MP (🤔), and that argument would probably succeed, on balance, but it’s shaky ground.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Still pages behind, but I feel like I should apologise for my expression of glee at this week's cancellations. I confess to being petty at times and I do enjoy it when unfortunate things happen to nasty people.

To my mind the grift won't come to an end until people are disabused of the notion that "she does so much good". And I just can't see that happening until she stops being invited to speak on behalf of people she is completely unqualified to represent, on issues where she brings absolutely nothing to the discussion (other than yet another rehash of a mostly made up poverty saga) and until places like The Guardian stop propping her up and lending her credibility. So yes, I am happy she lost those gigs. But I'll try to be less outwardly joyful about it.

May all your chaos wishes come true Fraus!
Hopefully not too much for me to catch up on later.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Still pages behind, but I feel like I should apologise for my expression of glee at this week's cancellations. I confess to being petty at times and I do enjoy it when unfortunate things happen to nasty people.

To my mind the grift won't come to an end until people are disabused of the notion that "she does so much good". And I just can't see that happening until she stops being invited to speak on behalf of people she is completely unqualified to represent, on issues where she brings absolutely nothing to the discussion (other than yet another rehash of a mostly made up poverty saga) and until places like The Guardian stop propping her up and lending her credibility. So yes, I am happy she lost those gigs. But I'll try to be less outwardly joyful about it.

May all your chaos wishes come true Fraus!
Hopefully not too much for me to catch up on later.
Dearheart I completely relate, I actually worry about her mental state quite a lot. I think she’s as manipulative as they come, but the fact that she’s acting so deranged does bother and concern me.
BUT I have been drawn in by narcs in the past and got badly burned, so I’m hardly an expert?
The way I see it, she may genuinely think that she deserves more sympathy than anyone else in the world, that every single bad thing is in no way her fault! In my experience people like that do exist. She will feel entitled to being a victim no matter how much that hurts other people. But in the end she doesn’t, she’s brought this on herself and been given so many opportunities to do the right thing.
So what I’m trying to say is that I’m hoping the people who feel pity for her know that they’re putting themselves out there and she might very well be unable to feel that same empathy to them as they do to her.
I just want slop to be honest 💔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
TBH these threads are in a weird place right now. Last year Jack's inactivity led to the threads being very quiet. This week, there have been three full threads since she deactivated, which is kind of mad.

I get that there are a lot of newer posters who like to hash out the history, which those of us who've been here a while have seen many, many times before, but whatever. There's also a lot of repetition, which is inevitable as this community has grown.

Beyond that, the tone has changed quite drastically - it used to mostly be LOLing at slop and lies, but now it feels like more people genuinely believe that Jack is some kind of criminal mastermind. We used to be a lot more conscious of not giving attention to the handful of trolls who would follow Jack around. Now some people are celebrating them?

I think we do have to acknowledge that there are plenty of bad actors calling Jack out. The Echo comments don't have ANY interesting bits of local gossip (unless you are quivering with excitement at the knowledge that Jack once worked in a fish & chop shop I guess), they are just Tattle in-jokes and "she/he/it" bigotry.

I also feel that it's easy to underestimate how many people are motivated by attention-seeking. There are a lot of people popping up desperate to be the protagonist of the Fall of the House of Monroe. Dopamine is a hell of a drug.
Let's lighten the mood, Fraus and Herrs?

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I know it’s awful that Jack is getting another book out but who else is excited to read her shite tips? I’m guessing it’ll be a cross between Take a Break’s top tips page and the diary of a Victorian mad woman.
But think of the fun we’ll have with them. It’s bound to be even better than Viz Top Tips. Plus the aftermath of Squigs following the advice: ‘Jack, I put a load of ring pulls on my hangers like you suggested & baking trays in my bed. I’m now a sheet, a bedcover and 3 hangers down (total cost £50 but actually £70 with the book) and I have lost half a finger to the hanger trick. I hate to ask but do you have any thrifty tips for how to make plasters or hangers out of scorched bedding & make £70 quickly? Oh and also £400k as my house burned down thanks to all the tumble drier fluff. Thanks so much #BeKind

• Haha
Reactions: 64
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.