Jack Monroe #433 Let them eat copies of Thrifty Kitchen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you for sharing this, it’s really interesting! Do they have a price point for the book at all pls?

The only way I can imagine this working is the bookseller are selling copies at “full” RRP at £20, but the publishers have already slashed that down to a tenner for pre orders so actually you’re buying two copies but it’s not labelled as such?

Agreed this is really weasel-y writing and an unclear mechanic, eg who funds what and what gets paid out to publishers, authors, etc from the primary copy and the gifted copy? But you can’t write out the truth cos it shows what a fucked up profiteering exercise it is.
Good point. On Bookshop it’s £18.99, on Amazon and WH Smith it’s £10.

This is the page the email links too. Have posted the archived version in case it gets swiftly pulled.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Good point. On Bookshop it’s £18.99, on Amazon and WH Smith it’s £10.

This is the page the email links too. Have posted the archived version in case it gets swiftly pulled.

So it’s a quid out but still really quite devious that they’re duping people into believing that a book is being donated on their behalf rather than a second copy purchased being dispatched to another location? Idk if I’m being a pedant here but personally think it’s an important distinction especially when book sales are chart reported, so additional/some may say artificially generated sales benefit her profile and generate more organic sales as a result. That’s not a wholly altruistic activity and should be properly declared…?

• Heart
Reactions: 84
No offence, but I can’t get my head around Leggy and Jack as a couple. They just look bizarre together 🤷🏻‍♀️
It’s like a manic pixie imp with rub on tattoos standing next to a character from the Raggy Dolls.
Cool aunty taking in niece and showing niece how cool they could be if they are like cool aunt

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Is the echo article/comments worth reading? They seem to take the local paper tactic of having so many adverts that you can't see the content

Reactions: 15
Cool aunty taking in niece and showing niece how cool they could be if they are like cool aunt
Like my partner is older than me but not as much of a gap as Leggy and Jackie but that photo also just screams power imbalance doesn't it.

Reactions: 47
Thanks for choosing my thread title!

GROUP HUG!

Honestly feel like the Trussell Trust book thing should be looked into more deeply.

On what basis was this book chosen to be distributed? Have they actually asked food bank users if this is something they'd like / use?

It just reeks of a massive scam to boost book sales and pre-orders and legitimise JM on the backs of food bank users who may or may not want anything to do with this piece of garbage.

Didn't Jack once appropriate the disability rights slogan "Nothing about us, without us"?

Well who asked foodbank users if they wanted this book? Maybe there's another book they'd prefer, or would rather have the cash, or a voucher?

It's a marketing ploy and nothing more and it's sickening.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 102
Is the echo article/comments worth reading? They seem to take the local paper tactic of having so many adverts that you can't see the content
It's mostly silliness but there are two or three half decent comments. I'm just checking in for Iqbal, Borbora or one of the other villains of the Monroeverse.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Thing is, I’m not trying to be a Cnut (it’s natural, etc etc)….but if we can’t talk about her past when she was known as M*lissa to locals, we can’t talk about The Echo, we can’t talk about Molly or the Parody, and Jack is doing nothing to talk directly about…

…then what is the point of this thread? Shouldn’t it just be locked until something ‘new’ happens?

Sorry to be that person but, meh 🫤
TBH these threads are in a weird place right now. Last year Jack's inactivity led to the threads being very quiet. This week, there have been three full threads since she deactivated, which is kind of mad.

I get that there are a lot of newer posters who like to hash out the history, which those of us who've been here a while have seen many, many times before, but whatever. There's also a lot of repetition, which is inevitable as this community has grown.

Beyond that, the tone has changed quite drastically - it used to mostly be LOLing at slop and lies, but now it feels like more people genuinely believe that Jack is some kind of criminal mastermind. We used to be a lot more conscious of not giving attention to the handful of trolls who would follow Jack around. Now some people are celebrating them?

I think we do have to acknowledge that there are plenty of bad actors calling Jack out. The Echo comments don't have ANY interesting bits of local gossip (unless you are quivering with excitement at the knowledge that Jack once worked in a fish & chop shop I guess), they are just Tattle in-jokes and "she/he/it" bigotry.

I also feel that it's easy to underestimate how many people are motivated by attention-seeking. There are a lot of people popping up desperate to be the protagonist of the Fall of the House of Monroe. Dopamine is a hell of a drug.

• Heart
Reactions: 150
Troll

literally nobody who is really struggling has ever purchased her book or made a single one of her recipes.
Realistically, at most you’d cook one or two of the recipes, realise they don’t work, they taste like tit and you’re still hungry afterwards, give up and go back to your (unrinsed) beans on toast. You wouldn’t keep going until you were suffering from malnutrition.

Reactions: 43
I asked them to clarify about the cost of the book and stuff. I also commented about the cost of the book...
They sent this.

Screenshot_20221125-114623-01.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Please remind me to never ask Patricia Niven to create my brand, yeah? Yeah?
View attachment 1759240

Mithering ninnies' nail report, please
Iirc Patricia Niven actually has the measure of Jack and has definitely been in comments under tweets making that known.

Iirc she’s also photographed Jack at the Thorpe bay manor so ??? must have happened for her IRL.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Please remind me to never ask Patricia Niven to create my brand, yeah? Yeah?
View attachment 1759240
Look I know this is hardly the most important aspect of the Jack story but I'm never getting over that wig. Why would you want such a thing on your head? What was she thinking? She looks like she's about to threaten to box an apple cheeked urchin's ears for getting under her feet whilst she's preparing supper for the master.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 83
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.