Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm just going to defend call handling. It can be extremely harrowing. I'm not going to upset anyone by listing the calls I took, but imagine the worst reasons people would call 999 and then imagine being the person talking to them whilst they wait for help to arrive.

(It can also be extremely boring for very long periods. Is definitely not as dramatic as her accounts of it. You do not become a fire expert/ doctor/whatever).

And yes, you wear epaulettes, there's still ranks within control rooms. People take the calls, people send the vehicles, people oversee it all. And you should give them a quick little iron, you scruffy fuckers 😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
What I get from her attitude is that she is very much I will do this on my own, I don't want or need/ help. She seems very much a person who wants to do it her way or no way.

Reactions: 16
I'm just going to defend call handling. It can be extremely harrowing. I'm not going to upset anyone by listing the calls I took, but imagine the worst reasons people would call 999 and then imagine being the person talking to them whilst they wait for help to arrive.
I can well imagine, thinking about what 999 call handlers are likely to deal with - I don't think anyone would dispute that it's a very challenging job.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

(It can also be extremely boring for very long periods. Is definitely not as dramatic as her accounts of it. You do not become a fire expert/ doctor/whatever).

And yes, you wear epaulettes, there's still ranks within control rooms. People take the calls, people send the vehicles, people oversee it all. And you should give them a quick little iron, you scruffy fuckers 😉
I’m really sorry if it came across that I was piss-taking. I really wasn’t. It was about her pretending she was a firefighter. I can imagine call-handling is pretty bleeping awful at times.

ETA appalling grammar and word repetition

• Heart
Reactions: 28
She likes to make herself seem much older than what she is.
It’s so she can sound more accomplished which is the opposite of what most celebs do. Whenever old articles are shared i’m struck by how young she looks and still is.

Reactions: 17
To be fair I sound a lot posher than my background would suggest (given that I think I’m common as muck). As does my mum. People would probably be able to place my accent if they met me but there are people in my area who talk through their nose like they are a character from chewing the fat. Accents can vary dramatically even in a few miles.

My gran grew up in a very working class family and she was always very well spoken

I honestly would not be able to tell how posh someone was from their accent

Unless it’s Prince William

Ps. I’m not criticising anyone with a different accent to mine. Just saying that people can sound posh when they aren’t and less posh when they actually are. I wouldn’t judge Jacks class from how she speaks.

• Haha
Reactions: 23

This is one of the things I don't get though, there's no shame in the job she had so why is she so shady about it? It is an important and vital part of the emergency services.

How are epaulettes crumpled?! Do you.... wash them?? If you take them off as soon as you finish shift and keep them flat, they stay brand new looking.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m really sorry if it came across that I was piss-taking. I really wasn’t. I was about her pretending she was a firefighter when she wasn’t. I can imagine call-handling is pretty bleeping awful at times.
Absolutely none taken. Her accounts of it make me roll my eyes because she is so ridiculously dramatic about everything. It almost undermines how hard it is because she has to push everything to such an extreme.

This is one of the things I don't get though, there's no shame in the job she had so why is she so shady about it? It is an important and vital part of the emergency services.

How are epaulettes crumpled?! Do you.... wash them?? If you take them off as soon as you finish shift and keep them flat, they stay brand new looking.
Hahah, I could never think of somewhere convenient to store them so I chucked them in the wash with my shirts 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
To be fair I sound a lot posher than my background would suggest (given that I think I’m common as muck). As does my mum. People would probably be able to place my accent if they met me but there are people in my area who talk through their nose like they are a character from chewing the fat. Accents can vary dramatically even in a few miles.

My gran grew up in a very working class family and she was always very well spoken

Ps. I’m not criticising anyone with a different accent to mine. Just saying that people can sound posh when they aren’t and less posh when they actually are. I wouldn’t judge Jacks class from how she speaks.
Mine changes depending on who im with. The usual 'work' voice change but when im around people i grew up with, and from the area i was from, itll revert back to that. OH would always laugh at how it changed, but he was the same when he got round his scottish family

Reactions: 17

I must admit I often been mistaken for being from a posh background because of the way I talk. This always makes me laugh because I am from northern Ireland and to me there is nothing posh about that accent. I just speak correctly and rarely use slang( as I hate it) 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15
She was training to be a firefighter when she fell pregnant yes?

Possibly unfulfilled ambitions.

I don’t think she’s ashamed of it.

When I was 21 I was at uni. Living at home and my grant back in the day was 30 quid a week.

Don’t get me wrong I loved it. But there’s no shame in earning what she did at that age.

Reactions: 8

A friend of mine was an ambulance call handler for about five years. Her stories were harrowing. However, now,,many years later, I don't think many people even know she was a call handler. Because she does something else now. And isn't defined by a job she did 15 years ago. I know, what a weirdo.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I think we can't really know what went on with her parents and her family. And just because they are middle class/respectable doesn't mean things were good. My mum, who I suspect is a narc, makes me very wary of accepting help from my parents because it comes with strings. I will do everything I can to avoid ever being in the circumstances where I have to stay in my parents house again. If poverty was more attractive to Jack than staying with her parents, I suspect its because there is more going on there than we can know.

Regarding short term poverty. I had a few years where I was struggling to make my career. I'd used my savings on a masters degree to get me into a specific industry and the next four years was going from one short term, poorly paid job to another. Each job was in another part of the country and my finances slowly dwindled. I ended up with depression and anxiety as I felt myself a failure, I berated myself for not being good enough to get decent jobs, and I had no support network to fall back on because of the moving (and above family problems).

Eventually I found another career route and I got out of that industry and I'm now in a better situation. However, I get rather terrified of being in that situation again - so I can understand the fear and trauma that even a short time on benefits can induce. However, I wouldn't call myself 'working class' due to four years of (and in one case less than) minimum wage work. I also wouldn't count myself as poor because I can only afford to live in shared houses. I also wouldn't think it my place to advise people who live their entire lives in that situation because I had (comparatively) 5 minutes of struggle. In that respect, Jack can come off as a middle-class saviour.
Her parents are absolutely lovely, they were also foster carers and regardless of how Jack's relationship was with them at the time, she did not have to put her child through what she sa

I agree with you. However when someone bangs on about how Working Class they are, and that they have been discriminated against due to that, yet they have had a very middle class upbringing and speak with an accent to match, they are clearly lying about the discrimination. Not to mention hugely insulting to those that actually have.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
She was training to be a firefighter when she fell pregnant yes?
Not quite, she had applied. So had begun the application process. Although on a now deleted Mumsnet thread, someone said she'd failed one of the stages (can't remember which) of the application anyway. She certainly never completed the application.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
A friend of mine was an ambulance call handler for about five years. Her stories were harrowing. However, now,,many years later, I don't think many people even know she was a call handler. Because she does something else now. And isn't defined by a job she did 15 years ago. I know, what a weirdo.
Well, that is quite mad. Surely she still carries her epaulettes with her at all times?!

I only mention it now to tell my two favourite men wanking stories!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.