Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be fair I sound a lot posher than my background would suggest (given that I think I’m common as muck). As does my mum. People would probably be able to place my accent if they met me but there are people in my area who talk through their nose like they are a character from chewing the fat. Accents can vary dramatically even in a few miles.
I know what you mean about the variation in how people speak. I lived in Glasgow for a few years and there's quite a range, just like there is my home town. My ex is from a WC background, comes from a part of the country where there's a very distinctive local accent. He doesn't have it - very much wc made good.

Just a theory of mine, but I think how you are educated (private school, comprehensive, level of education and so on) has an impact on how you speak.

Am conscious of starting to waffle on irrelevantly so I'll leave things there!

Reactions: 11
Mine changes depending on who im with. The usual 'work' voice change but when im around people i grew up with, and from the area i was from, itll revert back to that. OH would always laugh at how it changed, but he was the same when he got round his scottish family
I’m one of these people whose accent never changes.

Even if I emigrated I don’t think I would lose it.

In fact anytime I’ve been out of Scotland for a short time my accent gets stronger.

I am ridiculously Scottish but to be fair I’ve never lived away from Scotland

My pal went to live in Canada when she was in her late 20s and she came home with this Canadian accent.

My wee brother went to uni in Dundee and he actually acquired a Dundee twang.

To his pals up there he was a weegie and me and my mum were like, what’s happened to your accent

He lost it as soon as he came home though but it was funny.

I used to date a guy from the east end of Glasgow which is about 17 Miles from me.

The accents are like night and day. Nothing like mine.

Reactions: 15
I'm from a middle-class background and went to private school, but one in a part of South London not known for its poshness. I code-switch like mad and it's not even vaguely deliberate, but I roam up and down the scale of accents like Paul Young looking for somewhere to hang his hat,. I think my 'normal' accent - the one I use with my partner (though he's privately educated at a very posh school so tends to drag me upwards), my close friends and my family, is very similar to Jack's.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
A06EDD14-4783-4B76-B57F-5E3547C5FD79.png

the Christmas thing bugged me so I googled. I knew I’d read before that she went to her parents’ house. In another she says she sent him to his dad’s. plus she got paid for the articles where she says she can’t buy him anything, in December 🤷‍♀️ After that she got the first book deal. She lies so much!!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
Nearly a thousand pity ‘likes’ and so many people patting her on the head. It’s so patronising.

• Angry
Reactions: 19
In case anyone forgets what a bleeping liar she is: https://threader.app/thread/1244753809773035527

'If it weren't for that boy, i'd probably still be in the fire service. Halfway to my 25 year service medal, paying into my pension, ironing my epaulettes.'
ME, ME, ME, I, I, I....

One measly sentence right at the end to say that her son is a joy. What a way to mark your son’s 10th birthday.

ETA- this was not the gif I chose, but I like it

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
ME, ME, ME, I, I, I....

One measly sentence right at the end to say that her son is a joy. What a way to mark your son’s 10th birthday.
And she made him a crappy pancake with candles stuck in it as a birthday cake, then took photos of it before he could have it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I'm from a middle-class background and went to private school, but one in a part of South London not known for its poshness. I code-switch like mad and it's not even vaguely deliberate, but I roam up and down the scale of accents like Paul Young looking for somewhere to hang his hat,. I think my 'normal' accent - the one I use with my partner (though he's privately educated at a very posh school so tends to drag me upwards), my close friends and my family, is very similar to Jack's.
Babe, similar. At uni they said I was either So Solid Crew or the railway children. Nothing in between.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
That ain't no Estuary twang...
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]

Last edited:
  • Heart
Babe, similar. At uni they said I was either So Solid Crew or the railway children. Nothing in between.
Haha. Yes, that's very familiar. I do it mid-sentence sometimes, because apparently some words/phrases need to be said in certain way according to my subconscious. I cringe inwardly every time I catch myself doing that particular trick.

• Haha
  • Heart

Cotswold company
Dear old Viv Westwood looking down on us
The Emin

She is not working class right now, it’s that simple. She’s so flipping manipulative.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
If you’ve not watched rab mcglinchey interpreting for the neds on chewing the fat you’ve not lived.

I really like Kevin Bridges and on his last tour he did a sketch about coming home from a night out and his new posh neighbours had a gazebo up and he thought someone had been murdered

He was like in Clydebank we call that a crime scene.

I first saw him in Newcastle and it took a while for the audience to get it.

Except me.

His best sketch without a doubt is life in Scotland

‘Imagine naming your daughter after the nightclub she was conceived in’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
She was training to be a firefighter when she fell pregnant yes?

Possibly unfulfilled ambitions.

I don’t think she’s ashamed of it.

When I was 21 I was at uni. Living at home and my grant back in the day was 30 quid a week.

Don’t get me wrong I loved it. But there’s no shame in earning what she did at that age.
she was on £27k there would be no shame in that at any age. And I know all about pride but duck I had to take money off my Nana rather than take my kids under with me and you know what I’d do it again, for their sake

edit- I sound dead horrible she just enrages me soz

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Does everyone else love when the thread takes a tangent that means that you discover a little something about people posting, like a vague age or accent?

Or am I creepy little weirdo?

I'm not trying to triangulate you, I promise!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.