Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband is half Spanish and goes ridiculously dark skinned at the first hint of sunshine (while I go a lovely bright pink, not jealous at all)

He is, however, white and he never looks like his hands are dirty either.

Edit: Does this mean we aren't allowed to have anymore Grunka thread titles?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I dont understand why she says she failed grammar school. She passed the exams to get there and left with 4 GCSES. She used to go on about it being 4 and a half because she did a module in something.

There would have been zero to stop her doing A levels as a mature student. I know someone who grew up in difficult circumstances, left school with no qualifications and graduated last year with a first class honours degree in law.

Loads of people don’t do that well in school and get qualifications later on.

Of course that would be too simple and would mean she would have to remove one of the many chips from her shoulder.
You are 100% right! It doesn’t feed well into her expectant attitude. It’s very MC and spoiled, and something I’ve seen a lot. People don’t feel they should have to scrabble for things like night classes/adult learning because they think they’re better than that, and should be handed everything on a plate because they’re just SO wonderful

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I really dislike the way she labels mental health issues. Bonkers, mad etc. Grow up.
This upsets me a lot as well. Really terrible advocacy.
As well as the way she behaves and then blames her ADHD/ASD/illness of the day.
I have said this before here, but it really does have a bad effect on the way these illnesses are perceived and means that people who are having genuine problems are not taken seriously.

Reactions: 41
You are 100% right! It doesn’t feed well into her expectant attitude. It’s very MC and spoiled, and something I’ve seen a lot. People don’t feel they should have to scrabble for things like night classes/adult learning because they think they’re better than that, and should be handed everything on a plate because they’re just SO wonderful
Yes, a very good point. She's had a lot of opportunities. She didn't do well in school - ok, many people don't. Possibly because she has ADHD or some other condition. JO has often talked about how cooking kept him on the straight and narrow, as he was rubbish at school (I think he was undiagnosed dyslexic?). Like others have pointed out, he went to college, learned how to cook, washed pots, etc. and worked his way up. And then got discovered for TV by chance. So, as with most successful people, he had opportunities, worked hard and had a very hefty dose of luck. Big difference is, he doesn't come across as entitled and he very quickly used his status to bring others up. Remember 15? You could tell it was real passion project (and I believe it's still going), as he could see himself in those teens and had enough self-awareness to know that EVEN THOUGH he had difficulties at school, because of his family, skin- colour, sex, etc. he was given certain opportunities. 3 on the other hand has 'lived experience' of all the worst types of abuses and injustices. And despite owning 394 sideboards, has never helped anyone.

I guess they were so honoured to have been approached they didn’t read what it was they were asked to sign. Idiots!
I think it's more likely they agreed with the message, but then disagreed with the views of some other signees and hence couldn't agree with the message anymore, because that would be wrongthink.

• Heart
The amount of time she spends screaming all over twitter she could have completed endless online courses.

I know a girl with two degrees and a master's and is working in a job not related to any of these things because when she dipped her toe into the career she hated it. It's ok to realise the job, you think you wanted Isn't for you. Retrain and look for something else.

• Heart
Coincidentally she’s replying to someone who said her cat needed splints. 🤔
I thought she worded it very carefully, that the kitten had been "looked over" by a vet.
It sounds like she means she took it to the vet, but it could also mean it was on video or even on Twitter. Deliberately ambiguous.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Well, slightly o/t but this link just came up on my Google feed and I thought it was somewhat relevant - about Roald Dahl.

Funnily enough, all the quotes from people saying how awful he was are from folk who supported Jack's critique of DW.

Fwiw, I think Dahl did have some awful views. I also suspect he was something of a contrarian who enjoyed the reaction he got for saying outrageous things. Remind you of anyone...?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Thinking of books we read when we were 10 - Half my class had read flowers in the attic in the last year of junior school which had murder, neglect, incest (!) and abuse. I didn’t, but I heard other (quite posh - more than half my class went on to private secondaries) girls chatting about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
She might have failed grammar school but it looks sadly like she’s bitter about anyone else taking joy in more scholarly pursuits. It’s a disgrace.
I think it's genuinely really sad how little *proper* joy she takes in anything. It's no way to live.

And sad that in recent times the thing we've seen her take the most energy from was attempting an assassination of someone else's work/character. That's not a good look. Whether or not DW's books are good or whether or not he is a good human being, I don't know, but there shouldn't be so much glee about it either way.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Thinking of books we read when we were 10 - Half my class had read flowers in the attic in the last year of junior school which had murder, neglect, incest (!) and abuse. I didn’t, but I heard other (quite posh - more than half my class went on to private secondaries) girls chatting about it.
Ooh that book has everything all of her books are quite similar. The prequel to flowers in the attic is also a bit out there.

Reactions: 11
I remember a raunchy Parr in The Fog getting passed around the school.

Books should not be censored.

Reactions: 22
I think it's genuinely really sad how little *proper* joy she takes in anything. It's no way to live.

And sad that in recent times the thing we've seen her take the most energy from was attempting an assassination of someone else's work/character. That's not a good look. Whether or not DW's books are good or whether or not he is a good human being, I don't know, but there shouldn't be so much glee about it either way.
Beautifully put @Flumps, I totally agree. As we edge towards a little bit more “normality” every day why doesn’t she take her son to the park or beach? Bake with him? Simple things like getting an ice cream are all more plausible now. Instead she is putting all her energy into character, and professional, assassination of someone she doesn’t know.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Very much WC here but I read the whole series too at a similar age. And I might be biased, but I think I turned out alright!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Aye, there's an entitlement there. I went to a good school and got good grades, but dropped out of University, because I was a bit of tit when I was 18. I like learning, and always felt sad that I didn't have a degree. I suppose I could have shouted about the unfairness of that on the internet, but instead I did the OU (and took a v long time over it), but eventually came away with my degree. I have plans to go further, but can't afford them in time/money at the moment, but I don't get all bitter about it, because that's life, innit?

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I think she means her and her son. I really hope the kitten gets its treatment started soon. The sooner the better I always think.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.