Jack Monroe #403 It’s hard to believe anything Jack Monroe says anymore

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Worked for a company that had business dealings with ML in 05/06. Miserable egotist who cared about one thing and one think only “what’s in it for me?”

His FMs were like Jacks. We used to get weird emails from them threatening “police action” )We had a similar name to his company, but had been around for 2 years earlier than him, which they didn’t seem to understand).
We also used to get the odd email from people thinking we were him and inviting us to weddings and Christenings etc. it was all really weird and mad and he did nothing to tone it down on his forum

Anyway, this is a Jack thread.
Whilst I think he probably does do good, I have concerns. I am a regular listener (47 year old frau - still looking fabulous) to Gabby Logan's 'the Mid-Point' podcast and he was on there earlier this year. Definitely has a messiah complex - at one point he said 'I am the only person who can do what I do'. Let's hope that's not true. Worth a listen on a freebie for Jack-adjacent content and really makes you think.

Reactions: 30
How long can porridge in a drawer last without mould? My air fryer I found lasts about 6 minutes 🤔
It makes me think of the time spent scraping weetabix off tit when child was toddler. Who would do this? Would it leave a film in the drawer? Is it a money saving tip that leads to you chucking furniture out? Can you add dried fruit to make it a bit like a wobbly sugarless flapjack?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
This made me 🍾🦉 as it is

(squig not squigged as he’s a stand-up and this is v funny and he deserves credit)

But for ‘bay leaf’ you could substitute ‘Jack Monroe’

DEF98867-F41F-4CB6-9FCF-834720F421E2.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 74
Not sure what to do with this, but feel it's important as I've not seen this kind of escalation before.

Screenshot_20220924-223303.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 120
Possibly! It was in the 80s. I actually think it was a "thing" at the time because he wasn't the only one. He was a film student.
Yeah, my tutor told the same story about a Scottish housemate! They studied film. It’s just porridge drawer/pocket porridge

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Regarding the porridge:. I knew a guy when I was at college who spent most of his grant on clothes snd going out, in the first week.

He made a huge vat of porridge and poured it into a drawer and let it set then cut a slice for each meal, as he had no money left for food.

I guess you COULD just eat porridge but it would be truly awful
I have so many questions about drawer porridge.

Is the drawer lined with tin foil or are you getting a nice layer or drawer debris on the bottom?
Is this eaten cold?
How long until it goes mouldy?

Eh actually I only have three questions about drawer porridge.

On topic: did anyone get to hear any of her keynote? Was it just a rehashing of (one of) her (many) origin stories or did HH2 get some airtime?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Not sure what to do with this, but feel it's important as I've not seen this kind of escalation before.

View attachment 1602990
Oof, I think she's only going to weaponise that. She's claiming people are harassing her and people in her life and this squig has just delivered her a receipt to back up her claims. I suspect it's going to get messy.

• Sad
Reactions: 47
Every time someone says Bellfield I think of Levi and get confused. Also. The drawer porridge would have to be made with water, wouldn’t it. Milk porridge would be rank from a drawer.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Yeah, my tutor told the same story about a Scottish housemate! They studied film. It’s just porridge drawer/pocket porridge
In a similar vein I had a housemate at uni who just lived on bread and butter. Every meal. Except about once every 6 weeks when he would work his way determinedly through a box of all-bran :sick:

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
Interesting how Jack has made poverty a thing about feeling. It paves the way for justifying what she does. She feels poor and working class and therefore can't be co-opting things.

She is such a Dozal.

Dwelling on feelings also means that as an expert she doesn't have to know statistics or keep up to date about policies (not that she did anyway). You can just be an expert then by wanging on about how bad you felt when SB wanted another slice of toast with jam.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Drawer porridge is/was a thing in Scotland. Hubby's Granda had it as a child during WW2. The drawers were especially for the porridge and usually lined so it was quite clean. And in a super economical move, the drawer above was used to put newborn babies in to keep them warm.

In Sweden which has a similar climate to Scotland, oats are a big deal too. My Swedish family grew up with Christmas porridge which is a rice pudding porridge mixture served warm with syrup or cinnamon. In Scotland you were lucky to get salt.

ETA-link

OT, remember Jack's bloodbath massacre of afterbirth oats?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
In the rice vs oatmeal wars - one of my grad school classmates would buy a gigantic bag of rice at a South Asian shop at the start of every semester, and then have some of it every day with whatever veg or meat he could afford to buy. Despite all the horrid rice-diet effects the smol pixie warns about, he still managed to finish his classwork and his thesis, and graduate with honours.

However, universities are great places to find free food, because you can sneak into receptions, guest lectures, etc and nosh on the free snacks (as long as you don't mind eating the same appetizers over and over again). So my classmate's experience may not be comparable to what JM predicts for the poors and their sad bowls of rice day in and day out.

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.