Jack Monroe #351 Nobody should be donating to a character from a Pulp song

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been thinking about Jack's response to this shitstorm.

Even if she genuinely believes that the Thing wasn't an explicit plea for donations because it didn't literally include the words "Please give me money", surely the sheer number of people donating in response (and sharing so their own followers do the same) should have given her pause to reflect on how the blog was interpreted by a wider audience.

But no - as ever, she honestly thinks she's done nothing that can be called into question. So she folds her arms, digs in her heels and does the usual "Show me where I ~asked~ people to send me money" thing. Then, of course, attempts to write off any pushback as an orchestrated smear campaign by Tories/transphobes/trolls.

She's utterly incapable of self-reflection or admitting she was wrong, ever. One might have hoped the three therapists on speed dial and the months of private dayhab would have helped, but I suppose therapy is only effective when the subject actually wants to engage instead of just being told how wonderful and unfairly maligned they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 78
I have missed out on a few threads because it was getting to much for me. Can anyone post the salient points for me?
What is “Molly’s thread”?
Thanks
I'm quite jealous, I wish I could be reading Molly's thread again for the first time.

A user called Awfullymolly (mods I assume it's ok to name them as they were unsquigged in previous screenshots) has posted a thread of Jack's inconsistencies using screenshots of her own tweets and links to her own articles. It's gained quite a bit of reaction, but not yet been picked up by MSM

Jack has said she's not going to respond to it.

Then she responded saying that the watch she for for her 21st birthday actually only cost £600.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I’m sure I read one of Jacks interviews where she said her Grandfather was really furious when he found out she was living in poverty. I really wish I could remember which one. Perhaps a Frau knows?
Doesnt exactly square with her assertion that she and her son were sleeping on a mattress in a shared house after his death.
I think he was furious that she'd gotten pregnant because she had 'so much potential'...he must be halfway to australia by now what with all the spinning in his grave.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
A bit like the logic of not owning something if it's been "gifted" to her. I've never known anyone be gifted so much. And so much expensive stuff 🤔
Schroedinger's Jack, both impoverished and owns things which are gifts at the same time.

Reactions: 41
Given it was posted 12 hours ago and she has 55k followers, Natasha Devon’s thread has hilariously little traction.View attachment 1468185
This is such a stupid bleeping take and I’ve seen it more than once from multiple people. Wherever you stand on Martin Lewis, he’s done far more to tangibly help than Jack ‘poor people can eat for £20 a week’ Monroe, and what Marcus Rashford has achieved goes without saying. Where are their takedown threads?

• Heart
Reactions: 63
It was down for a bit, I meant to have a check for edits but haven't had the time what with everything going up in flames.
Just had a flick it looks the same, OH telling her she was too broken really was the straw that broke thee camels back, before that i think everything that was said to her negatively was ignored but he seems to have gotten through to her that big changes needed to happen.

I honestly think its more a case of broken pride than heart. Until he chucked her she was happily living under a grand old disillusion that everything was as it should be.

To be honest L got away easy. All that was said was she LEFT. We didn't get broken hearts and broken dream blogs about her.

Reactions: 48
So she folds her arms, digs in her heels and does the usual "Show me where I ~asked~ people to send me money" thing.
Exactly. She’s so disingenuous. She genuinely believes that, since she wasn’t clearly and explicitly begging for money, the fact that PayPal and Patreon money immediately started pouring in… well that’s not on her. She’s a sociopath.

Reactions: 40
I think the thing that's always enraged me the most is her saying she was too proud to ask for help.

Saying she was in dire straits, what sort of c*** lets their BABY be hungry, cold or wear shoes that pinch rather than ask for help? I mean, I was in a really tight situation two times in my life, and I didn't ask for help because of pride and being determined to sort it out myself which I did both times, but if I'd had a baby you can bet your arse I would have been on my parents doorstep and they would have welcomed me with open arms.

Which is why I don't believe a word of it. I think she was a bit skint, wrote an article about tight budgets and it bleeping blew up to what we see today. A huge web of lies, and Jack is the panicking spider.

• Heart
Reactions: 92
What I genuinely want to know is, what exactly is it about Jack that inspires such feverish devotion?
Why so many people have been saying “So she’s a scam artist? So what when she does SO much good and helps SO many impoverished people?”

(Someone made a point that this kind of thinking leads one down a path that ends in Jimmy Savile, which ain’t wrong).

Is it just because she represents some sort of lofty ideal that they’ve been lead to believe should be put on a pedestal? She is the ultimate angry leftie liberal smol pixie and needs to be protected at all costs?
I'm fascinated by this too - it's a huge topic more for a thesis than a post on Tattle. But I do think a significant part of it is that facts and principles are not universally regarded as sacred....or even that relevant.

It's obvious that some of those leaping noisily to Jack's defence haven't even read the latest blog, and presumably don't think they need to in order to refute criticism of it. She's a totem via which people express their membership of one tribe or another, ostensibly because she represents (or doesn't) their values and beliefs; but having attained totem status, it appears that whether or not she embodies those values is irrelevant. An attack on her is an attack on the tribe, so they react accordingly, like wasps reacting to pheromones. Someone (Moldwarp I think?) alluded to this a few threads ago, saying that it's dangerous to ally yourself to people rather than principles, and I completely agree.

Not us ninnies, of course. We know that facts and truth and consistency and receipts matter.

I'll stop there before I descend into muttering darkly about post-modernism having a lot to answer for.

• Heart
Reactions: 82
At the time probate was granted Jack was living in a shared room with her son in a house with 5 other people.
View attachment 1468042

And published Hunger Still Hurts One year on

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2013/07/30hunger-hurts-still-a-year-on/

I know probate etc can be tricky and they maybe had to sell a property to release some funds, but with such a big windfall (even split between a few family members) on the horizon you would hope they could at least help her out together the cash for a (rented) place of her own
In 2013 they could have bought Jack a decent 2 bed flat in a lovely part of town outright for £160-180k. With the best part of £2m available it’s quite surprising they didn’t. Maybe they are terrible after all.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Doesn’t matter who it is though does it, it’s cold hard receipts that Jack herself has tweeted. This isn’t the gotcha they think it is. Hark at them on their iPad.
Imagine if someone gets falsely accused though. That could be really dangerous with Jack's fans the way they are. Although would be an elegant twist if Jack gets sued for libel for accusing the wrong person.

(Not really, that would be horrible for the person falsely accused, and potentially career ending depending on what they do etc.)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I've been thinking about Jack's response to this shitstorm.

Even if she genuinely believes that the Thing wasn't an explicit plea for donations because it didn't literally include the words "Please give me money", surely the sheer number of people donating in response (and sharing so their own followers do the same) should have given her pause to reflect on how the blog was interpreted by a wider audience.

But no - as ever, she honestly thinks she's done nothing that can be called into question. So she folds her arms, digs in her heels and does the usual "Show me where I ~asked~ people to send me money" thing. Then, of course, attempts to write off any pushback as an orchestrated smear campaign by Tories/transphobes/trolls.

She's utterly incapable of self-reflection or admitting she was wrong, ever. One might have hoped the three therapists on speed dial and the months of private dayhab would have helped, but I suppose therapy is only effective when the subject actually wants to engage instead of just being told how wonderful and unfairly maligned they are.
They knew EXACTLY what they were doing, so doesn’t have a leg to stand on if they claim that defence. It’s obvious in how the blog post was written. If it was a simple case of “things have gotten real bad, I can not afford the life I am living and will have to downsize, the future looks uncertain” that would be one thing. But they were purposely conjuring the struggling single mum sleeping on the sofa of a pokey one bed flat image for a reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.