Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Like Lenny hate having to do this and sorry this must be boring the shit out of you all by now… but idk this call thing doesn’t feel v authentic to me. It’s something I’ve often seen or heard for people who have lost everything and are new in so incredibly vulnerable, people that are more likely to be in a residential facility or hostel type situation than functioning to some degree. Being able to take or make a phone call a day is a privilege many working people with families simply don’t have. I’ve also always pre arranged calls with sponsors for that reason. It’s also something that I’ve seen as more of a thing with the older generation and I imagine it’s because the technology to text or voice note simply wasn’t a thing back then.

Like I’m not saying she’s lying it’s just a very atypical thing for someone of her age who’s close to a year in to be discussing. A bit odd imo 🤷🏻‍♀️
If my sobriety was contingent on phoning people, I would really struggle. I HATE talking to people on the phone and will only do it when I have to. You’re encouraged to “go to any lengths” to get sober but if my sponsor said to me “phone me every night at 6pm so we can talk over your day” then it probably wouldn’t have got off the ground. And I’ve heard that at meetings before, that was the expectation of the sponsor - daily phone calls!

I always give my number to female newcomers and if someone reached out, I’d definitely listen and help them. But I don’t even phone my best friends for a chat so I can’t imagine me undertaking Jack’s ‘suggestion’. I’m maybe sensitive about it but I just get the vibe she says all this stuff on behalf of AA when a) she’s a Cockwomble and b) she should concern herself with her sobriety first and foremost.

I mentioned famous people in recovery and I forgot one who comes into my head from time to time - Eric Clapton. He was just on Now 90s singing the song he wrote for his son who died and to the best of my knowledge, he was sober before, during and after that heartbreaking period and beyond. I don’t know why I’m mentioning him really, other than on the occasions where I wish I could unwind and drink like a “normal person” then he’ll come into my head as an example of trusting your programme and your higher power. I do speak a lot about AA from the point of view of people who are in recovery but don’t often think of those who are concerned about how much they drink or those who are worried about a loved one. It’s honestly a life saver if you feel you need AA, you don’t be judged you will be welcomed by people who have walked the path before you and can tell you this is the better alternative. You’ll get tough love and you’ll get brutal honesty. Nobody said it would be easy but they promised it would be worth it.

If you feel someone close to you is an alcoholic, I know some people who have had a peace to their life thanks to Al-Anon. I can’t imagine how hard it must be, but there is support out there too ❤

Honestly, the post is so long I thought the thread would be closed by the time I finished 😩. I was going to say I can’t half waffle on and that reminded me, has anyone seen Waffle Maker lately?

• Heart
Reactions: 72

bladiesla

VIP Member
Oh my Christ Jack. If this is true (it isn’t) you would bet your last penny your beloved union would have something to say about it.
I am just imagining an internal interview where I ask them to name our cleaning team 😂 And then the feedback on why they failed. She’s been on the j1g.

The compulsive lying to go bigger and better is getting worse!

View attachment 1329066
The lie about having to name cleaning and maintenance staff's names and personal facts is just showing how for Jack Monroe other people's issues about low wages and food insecurity are props to make her a 'hero'. It's not about John the cleaner and maybe knowing him, but about being able to say you know them, so you're 'not like others'

It's completely in line with so much of her performative outrage and 'help', as well as her cooking or self-proclaimed nerdiness (and whatever bandwagon, from the very small to large, she jumps on). It's about making herself look a certain way and then get praise.

• Heart
Reactions: 72

Onestorytoomany

VIP Member
Jesus she would hate me, I phone literally no one. I ring my mum because she worries and occasionally my sister but unless it's to make an appointment. I don't call anyone. I never really have. Texting all the way for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 71

Five hundred dogs

VIP Member
I’m not sure I understand. Someone reported to the police that a third party had made threats against Jack, and they got this knowledge from Jack’s own Twitter account? Is that right? Is this malicious or more likely a Jack fan taking it upon themselves to white knight for her? Or is it all bollocks?

• Haha
  • Wow

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
“So DisgruntledGoat, tell us the names and factoids about two of the cleaners who, in this instance, we’re using as some kind of bizarre, classist prop”

“Well, Mike once gave me a Mars Bar for logging into his imprisoned son’s Facebook to write a post telling his pals he’d been sent down, and Sheila once said that the chief exec looked like the mum from the Wild Thornberries”*

*both actual interactions I’ve had in workplaces past.

I’ve always got on dead well with techies and cleaners and maintenance and security wherever I’ve worked because I’m chatty and to be quite honest they’re always the people with the best goss and who can get shit done for you when you’ve fucked up and forgotten/lost/broken something. They have a very particular type of power in workplaces. HOWEVER, the key identifier of success in the vast majority of workplaces is class, social capital and - in the fire service at least - being part of the secret handshake club. Jack can pretend as hard as she likes that Big Dave the Marxist insisted on doing a Mr Burns and asking how Bart, Lisa, and Expecting are doing or whatever, but it’s just performative nonsense coming from a wanker in a five bed detached pretending that it’s essential criteria for promotion.
The power comes from knowing where the source of the blue roll is.

• Haha
  • Heart

Rekyavikgirl

VIP Member
It's not 344 days. You need to reset because that lager you were drinking? It wasn't alcohol free

• Sad
  • Heart

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
She tagged the police in her tweet, I wonder if they'll respond.

I think all this is a big fuck you to her dad for being told off on Sunday.

• Haha
  • Wow

DinosaurSenior

VIP Member
Being happy to pay more for a pint of milk for the benefit of welfare and farmers is the absolute opposite of being happy to consume bollock sausages and
cheap wet ham

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 70

colouredlines

VIP Member
Any Scottish AA Frauen should be on the lookout. She'll be rocking up to a Glasgow meeting in dark glasses and her Charles II wig.

Jack: "I know it's anonymous, but, well, bit hard for me, innit?"

Rest of the room: blank stares, crickets

Jack (with a big sigh): "Yeah, fine, I know you're all thinking it. Right, before anyone tries to sell this to the tabloids, yes, it's me, Jack Monroe, alcoholic, activist, writer, campaigner, single mum, author, honorary Scot, hashtag founder, inventor of the Pumble..."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70

Mr Krabs

VIP Member
When Jack has been dating someone for five minutes. Send…

A79B7874-114E-46CE-92F1-29FAE4293F37.jpeg

(Sadly these are not maize snacks)

• Haha
Reactions: 69

TraceyJacks

Chatty Member
It’s really sad she’s gone through more animals in 8 odd years than people do in a lifetime so I’m just going to laugh at the Johnny Depp cosplay instead

9978EC9E-182F-4C07-BD36-3681C53B6855.jpeg

Pirates of the rinsed beans!

• Haha
Reactions: 69