Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
There’s a squig, not on a JM thread on twitter that’s dared to question the toothpaste take. She’s holding her own but she’s been rounded on by the FMs. All she said was toothpaste is generally more expensive than some basic food and that if said gent was savvy enough to use twitter to contact JM then he could have found help.
That's exactly why I don't believe he exists. If you are capable of contacting JM for help on Twitter, you can Google your foodbank/soup kitchen/MP, etc. I also don't doubt that there are poor people in the UK, but if you have zero food, zero money and only a tub of toothpaste, the solution is not 10p stock cubes and 50p pasta.

• Heart
Reactions: 52

Aardvark

Chatty Member
‘Naked shameless racketeering’ by supermarkets who are apparently all working together (a highly illegal thing that is subject to codes of conduct with heavy penalties for anti competitive behaviour) but apparently nothing to do with the growth of Aldi and Lidl who have exploded over the last decade and undercut supermarket value ranges offering a wide variety of foods at the lowest prices in the market and who she just ignores or pretends don’t exist to suit her narrative

• Heart
Reactions: 52

Flash123

VIP Member
That screenshot is meaningless. But it might get her a few more tips the crafty little smol pixie!

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 51

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
Scrubbing her bank accounts and putting all her money in the offshores just in time for the HMRC investigations.

• Haha

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
In the observer headline “we’re pricing the poor out of food in the U.K.- that’s why I’m launching my own price index”, it reads like a quote from Jack, even though, admittedly there are no quotation marks.

However, it includes the word “poor” that was rightly pointed out to be troublesome yesterday and she said that she didn’t have any say over in the Sunday People headline. Why would she have allowed the observer headline through when it looks so like a direct quote from her?

Note also no comments about the word “poor” from the Islington Observer set although there are a few dissenters on the FB page, who mention grift.

Off to avoid Sunday morning TV where no doubt she will be praised.

• Heart

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
So she wants people to riot?

there are something like 2.5million people in the UK in poverty and over 67 million people in total. Whether you agree with them or not the vast majority of the British people don’t appreciate being inconvenienced by rioters. People are selfish…. Not as much as Jack is though!
People in poverty aren’t going to riot because of a Jack Monroe article anyway. The majority won’t have heard of her, won’t have her books and most likely won’t read the Guardian, as much as the likes of Owen Jones would like it to be seen as the voice of the working class. It would a very middle class ‘riot’ that would be played out entirely on Twitter by people who have never come within a 2 mile distance of someone on benefits and probably involve a hashtag.

Show someone on a council estate a copy of Tin Can Slop and tell them this is what they should be existing on and then we’ll be talking though. Burn it with fire!

• Haha
  • Heart

Vanelope

VIP Member
That’s not exactly proof - where did the 30k deposit you told Irvine Welsh you had go?

• Angry
  • Sick
In the observer headline “we’re pricing the poor out of food in the U.K.- that’s why I’m launching my own price index”, it reads like a quote from Jack, even though, admittedly there are no quotation marks.

However, it includes the word “poor” that was rightly pointed out to be troublesome yesterday and she said that she didn’t have any say over in the Sunday People headline. Why would she have allowed the observer headline through when it looks so like a direct quote from her?

Note also no comments about the word “poor” from the Islington Observer set although there are a few dissenters on the FB page, who mention grift.

Off to avoid Sunday morning TV where no doubt she will be praised.
Jack loves to marginalise people. She described public transport users as smelly, Aldi and Lidl are not posh enough for her plus she'd have to mix with the proles, she is racist, classist and weirdly scathing of anyone suffering from an addiction despite allegedly doing so herself. She regularly shows her contempt for people in poverty and sees herself as above them.

• Heart
  • Sad

Hollaaa

VIP Member
I've only just read the piece in the Guardian. Not sure the timeline works for what I said above.

Random Twitter comment to Jack about toothpaste was on Friday at 8am.

Jack says she mentioned the man eating toothpaste on GMB. Did she? I didn't watch it. I think that was on Thursday 20th, so would have come before the Twitter screenshot above.

Soz, Jack*

*I'm not really 🖕🏻
I made a point about the Vimes Boots thing on here being an emotive hook that doesn't translate well to other types of consumables on Friday at 6.29, deliberately obfuscated and behind a spoiler in an attempt not to give anyone any ideas.

Jack tweeted about her VB index for what I can gather was the first time 45 minutes later, implying she'd been working on it for some time. Hopefully a coincidence but it has made me feel a bit weird.
Screenshot_20220123-005041__01.jpg
Screenshot_20220123-005126__01.jpg

• Wow
  • Heart
Do you think the People could have found a picture of Jack where she looks even more smug? I'm not sure it's quite enough for a headline about poor people starving to death. Nice black outfit though. Much Dylon, v depressed.

Anyway I am owling now because Vlad is suggesting a vital product for the VBI: engagement rings.

vlads suggestion for vbi.png

• Haha

Silver Linings

VIP Member
View attachment 1009528

Well personally I'd rather have a government that made all Marcus Rashford's campaigning and charity work unnecessary. I'm also not persuaded that a Labour government that lived entirely on Twitter, shared slop recipes and was a relentless bullshit machine is quite what the country needs at this time but you know I'm happy to hear the arguments in favour of of this unusual proposal. I won't lie though I'm bricking it at the idea of Home Secretary Jack Monroe.
These people are so dense they probably think Home Secretary is about writing shopping lists for the home.

• Haha

TraceyJacks

Chatty Member
I didn’t watch GMB at the time either, the link to the interview is here (2:19 in total.) No mention of toothpaste but it does seem part of a slightly longer feature…

I’m sure she mentioned toothpaste in a different talking head though. I want to try find it 🤔
It is in the full length GMB segment. She says at 7.32am Fri 21/01/22:
“I had a message last night from a gentleman who’d read my thread who said that he was going to bed having eaten a teaspoon of toothpaste in order to fool himself into thinking that he’d had a meal.”

Weird though that she would stop people from trying to help him further.

Also lol I didn’t realise GMB gave her figs quite the tarting up. So you can literally just say anything and as long as it gets millions of tweets they will put it on breakfast tv the next day as word art? Incredible!

5467523B-41F0-4C91-AEEE-FC64E4D18E09.jpeg

ETA: @Marmalade Atkins I screen recorded the entire piece if you want it, nothing of note imo.

• Wow
  • Haha