Jack Monroe #240 Schwankend

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Urgh so much grunking. My motherthread has done a chaos as well.
Ok 4 teaspoons, 4 big spoons, the giant big spoon and fork for tossing salads, 6 plastic measuring, one wooden slatted, one giant plastic and 1 ladel (came in a pack from Ikea) 3 mismatched cheapo teaspoons from a pack from the poundshop, which used to live at work.
She needs help.
What's your motherthread? Is it AE / IG?
Like I need anymore distraction but bloody hell these people... my tattle use reminds me of the very early days of big brother. I was absolutely obsessed, I had no internet access for the first few, used to buy up every possible newspaper and magazine that featured any of the contestants!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
She claims she has plans to use them for work purposes (tax write-off?).
I've seen comments like this a few times and I cannot comment on what Jack does or doesn't do with her tax (apart from that she doesn't seem to file accounts), but I'd like to clarify something regarding tax write-offs.

Yes, you can write things off but only equipment that you use exclusively for your business. For example, I can write off my laptop, provided I only use it for work, not for personal use. If I also use my laptop for personal use, I can write off a proportion (50% or 75% or whatever). I'd say as a food blogger, you could write off some crockery, cutlery, etc. and if you have evidence you used it for work (i.e. social media posts, blog photos, etc.) no one can really check whether you stir your tea with it in your own time, but it's a bit of myth that she can just write off whatever she fancies (not saying you implied that @Orphan_Black ).

Anyway, allowable expenses are strictly regulated and I'd imagine if you tried to write off a large sum you'd have HMRC knocking quite quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
What's your motherthread? Is it AE / IG?
Like I need anymore distraction but bloody hell these people... my tattle use reminds me of the very early days of big brother. I was absolutely obsessed, I had no internet access for the first few, used to buy up every possible newspaper and magazine that featured any of the contestants!
Sali Hughes. Sali identified a poster and sent them a DM.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
I can think of some other uses for a tiny set of scales.❄
I had a set of these back in the day, for ..reasons.
I kept a penny, a tuppence plus my old old ha'penny for smaller weights...I remember my dad teaching me the weights equivalents 🔺

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I've seen comments like this a few times and I cannot comment on what Jack does or doesn't do with her tax (apart from that she doesn't seem to file accounts), but I'd like to clarify something regarding tax write-offs.

Yes, you can write things off but only equipment that you use exclusively for your business. For example, I can write off my laptop, provided I only use it for work, not for personal use. If I also use my laptop for personal use, I can write off a proportion (50% or 75% or whatever). I'd say as a food blogger, you could write off some crockery, cutlery, etc. and if you have evidence you used it for work (i.e. social media posts, blog photos, etc.) no one can really check whether you stir your tea with it in your own time, but it's a bit of myth that she can just write off whatever she fancies (not saying you implied that @Orphan_Black ).

Anyway, allowable expenses are strictly regulated and I'd imagine if you tried to write off a large sum you'd have HMRC knocking quite quickly.
Thank you for clarifying! I put the question mark as I wasn't sure if it could be a write-off, thank you dear knowledgeable heart for explaining it in layman's terms!

Reactions: 23
I'm starting to feel sorry for the Seller. All they did was list an item on eBay and have had the bad luck of it being bought by the word weasel.
I would kind of like the seller to be someone with a good follower count who just debunks the whole story!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
“Here’s what was actually said” please
I’m thinking they potentially threw in an extra couple of spoons they found lying around just to get rid since the buyer was paying £40 postage anyway

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I’m thinking they potentially threw in an extra couple of spoons they found lying around just to get rid since the buyer was paying £40 postage anyway
It is the postage costs that confound me.

Even if you were paying Parcelforce to collect from you, and added a couple of pounds for packing costs, it wouldn't be any more than about £20.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Browsing the quote retweets like the morning paper, and am reminded why I shouldn't feel bad for the squigs. So aggressively obtuse. I'm happy for the squig uprusing to continue, but some are just lost causes. (Then again, sad face squig has a patreon with 1 patron, for a total of $1, so maybe they admire and aspire to the Monroe Grift.)

View attachment 990724View attachment 990725
Imagine being that invested in and fired up about someone who is a proven liar and has contributed tit all to society for as long as she's been plaguing social media

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Someone who has more grubby, old and bendy spoons than Jack...

View attachment 989625

Those spoons in little boxes were what all our parents bought when they went to the seaside, no?

I have no idea how many spoons I have, but they are many, not as many as Jack though.

Trying out a spoiler for the first time for draining board talk... I designed my own kitchen and my very pleasant kitchen fitter asked which side I wanted the grooves put in the worktop for my draining board, I went for the right side as that was what was there previously, but he offered to put them in both sides if I wanted because I am posh like that *insert Hyacinth Bucket gif here*
I don't want to sound braggy and name droppy but I once went to an event which featured among others, Uri Geller. He did a live spoon bend in front of a crowd of possibly 1000, it was completely impossible to see the spoon, let alone the actual bending

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
Sali Hughes. Sali identified a poster and sent them a DM.
Meanwhile, despite Jack's expert triangulation skills, not one of us has released a message out of the blue with the opening line:

Hi. I'm Jack Monroe, writer, activist, single mum, cook, spoon collector, pescatarian bodybuilder, recovery guru, author, TV presenter, journalist, makeup expert, accidental conqueror of my worst fears...

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Browsing the quote retweets like the morning paper, and am reminded why I shouldn't feel bad for the squigs. So aggressively obtuse. I'm happy for the squig uprusing to continue, but some are just lost causes. (Then again, sad face squig has a patreon with 1 patron, for a total of $1, so maybe they admire and aspire to the Monroe Grift.)

View attachment 990724View attachment 990725
This is so rude. So rude. It’s Twitter, you’re not protected, people can reply to what you write!

Reactions: 27
Looks like you needs to choose your weapon
I love this -thank you very much. Deffo getting the mirror and then pretend I’m in line of duty or something rather than looking for a myriad of mundane items . I’ll leave it to nearer the time or she’ll just make another haul. She gets quite irritated with me when she sees me removing the drawers . Sorry if this is boring. I could talk about my cats as much as jack can about spoons . If I become a boring self absorbed shameless grifter worthy of tattle can I have myriad of mundane items as my thread title please?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I think she's buying stuff because she's lonely and bored, along with her other issues. I buy books when I feel down, charity shop, new, whatever, they're my comfort item. It's something I've recognised over the years, and try to check myself over it, although my TBR pile is still shocking. Buying things is such a temporary fix, and why she's still in this state despite the 16 weeks of therapy, and therapists on speed dial, is quite shocking. You'd expect to see some improve surely?
I have a tendency to 'collect' unecessary objet when I'm feeling low
Vintage Books is a Biggie for me along with vintage ornamental tat and clothes, most of what I buy is cheap cheap softy soft charity shop or eBay but the majority of it is nowhere near essential
I sometimes feel a bit disingenuous laughing along here when I genuinely have too much stuff and much of it useless, I know that if people were monitoring my spending along with what I say I can't afford, there would be some 'hmmm 🤔' moments.
I will add that I have been on a waiting list for mental health support since last summer and not getting any support atm so trying really hard not to fill up my house as a consequence!

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I'll have a fiver on Jack contacting the seller and explaining that she's actually very famous and is getting tit for the purchase and could they please remove all evidence it ever occurred.
That's probably why she hasn't left feedback yet.

• Wow
Reactions: 21
I have a tendency to 'collect' unecessary objet when I'm feeling low
Vintage Books is a Biggie for me along with vintage ornamental tat and clothes, most of what I buy is cheap cheap softy soft charity shop or eBay but the majority of it is nowhere near essential
I sometimes feel a bit disingenuous laughing along here when I genuinely have too much stuff and much of it useless, I know that if people were monitoring my spending along with what I say I can't afford, there would be some 'hmmm 🤔' moments.
I will add that I have been on a waiting list for mental health support since last summer and not getting any support atm so trying really hard not to fill up my house as a consequence!
Oh I get you, I sometimes feel the same but my go to is retro/rare videogames and books as you say. My house is cluttered but I've made a promise to myself to sort it out and am actively sorting my debts from my drug/booze issues/total financial mismanagment from when I was younger. Am on a waiting list for an ADHD assessment but that can take forever so I'm just doing the best I can til then and I'm on meds that really help in the mean time. Hope you don't have to wait too long for help

Jack is just the performative disingenuous version of what a lot of us are or may be going through.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.