Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am thoroughly enjoying the cabal cook along, I'm almost tempted to try making one of Jack's recipes myself. For literal shits and giggles 💩

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Poor son, being given “half dead bananas”, why?
If she does stock rotation, and checks her fridge and cupboard contents as often as she says (every Thursday if I remember correctly), why does she leave stuff to go off? Surely it would be better to buy what you need and use it fresh.

Silly me, she buys it when it is already on its last legs.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
So disappointed to have missed* Poor Patrol’s forensic, maverick scuffle analysis. Although, on my grunk, I accidentally kept clicking on the images to view them full size - witnessing them in their pure, cystic glory.

Helps with the attempt to lose the lockdown lard though, so brava PP!!

* was distracted by the “real world”. Close friend has been in hospital having test after test for mysterious and worrying symptoms. Testing times indeed. He isn’t an influencer and he was actually in hospital, not an apart-hotel. Very relieved that the tests for the bad stuff came out okay and he has a diagnosis (from a doctor, no report on the lipstick status) that can be dealt with.

Phew, more slop please!

• Heart
Reactions: 56
2p per slice apparently. But it just isn't is it? You have to buy everything including greaseproof paper, and then there is electricity. Her pricings are so disingenuous. Yes if you have all the ingredients it might be 2p (per slice) but she says the price as an absolute where it just isn't.
She calls out other chefs for doing this as well, as do her squigs.

It’s apparently fine for her because (mostly) she does bother to put the price of a reasonably sized full pack of whatever tit is in her recipes and does sometimes cost the whole thing at the end that way. I am unconvinced (and it was what turned me off her and ultimately brought me here).

ETA: it’s also not ok for other people to suggest rice etc may be cheaper at a local Asian shop because not everyone has access, which would be fair enough - but it’s fine for her to cost based on yellow stickers. Make it make sense 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
If she does stock rotation, and checks her fridge and cupboard contents as often as she says (every Thursday if I remember correctly), why does she leave stuff to go off? Surely it would be better to buy what you need and use it fresh.

Silly me, she buys it when it is already on its last legs.
Also why would a 10 year old, or even an adult need 2 bananas in a breakfast portion?

Reactions: 31
Is a scuffin a scone/muffin mix up?

So many maverick combos for Jack to invent .

The Farl/tart maybe

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Fraus. It needed the 20 minutes extra. It still don't seem right. It's like a sponge left to get mildew-y in a grubby bath.

Whilst it cools I'm off to walk the dog and re-evaluate my life choices...

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 97
You’ve baked a Stewie from Family Guy, the bread needs slicing before it becomes sentient and murderous!

Also you can tear the bread up and mix it with a tin of chopped tomatoes and dried mixed herbs- pappa al pomodoro allegedly
F7EC5C36-ABE9-4EC0-9DBF-EFF0399768A8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 86
Fraus. It needed the 20 minutes extra. It still don't seem right. It's like a sponge left to get mildew-y in a grubby bath.

Whilst it cools I'm off to walk the dog and re-evaluate my life choices...

View attachment 570280

View attachment 570281
We need to start an exclusive Slimy Brick whatsapp group. That’s exactly what my scuffins were, wet but hard. How does one master this skill? To make the inside slimy, but the exterior a sort of membrane that is slightly crusty. It’s like a food version of chicken pox 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 60
The slime aspect is truly horrifying. With normal bread you've got a period of about five days before it goes mouldy but that's going to be grim tomorrow morning, never mind by the end of the week. I feel rather ill thinking about it sitting in a bag sweating and fermenting. I have to give it to Jack tho - making sloppy bread is certainly a unique skill 👏

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.