Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
My mum had a blue-ringed octopus preserved in a jar when I was a kid. She was a swimming instructor- mum, not the octopus- and kept it to show people what to look out for in the ocean as they are deadly. I was shit scared of it, haha.

There's part of a digested giant squid inside the NHM. FACTS. (Clearly I'm a marine biologist now :ROFLMAO: )

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Actually on second thoughts, I don't think I'd have a chance to say all that to Jack. I feel like the only time we'd be in the same room would be if I were called as a witness while she was on trial for crimes against Mediterranean food.
Please call me to attest, I will assemble a cabal of Amam’s And Yiayia’s who need to see justice

• Haha
  • Heart

sueh21

Wait, what time did she make this dish? I thought it was an old picture.How is that going to reheat? Why is she cooking for people, what have they done to deserve that?

• Haha
  • Wow

holliebollie

Chatty Member
Mmm @CabalofBolorneaise that is probably more likely. Still odd whichever 3 of the options is real! If any body parts show up soon, we will know they read here. We’re alllllllways triangulating (*monster’s inc ‘sl*g lady with glasses’ voice)

• Haha

Powershower

Chatty Member
omg I was about to ask about the reaction! was it a face/neck rash? I have no allergy to anything else, but for a few years in my late 20s sometimes (but weirdly not always) when I drank I got a rash, now my sister who is a similar age is suffering the same! I haven't had it in years, so bizarre
This exact thing happened to my friend when we were maybe 24/25, then almost cleared up as soon as it had arrived. She didn’t drink wine for ages as she was wary of it but now almost 10 years later she doesn’t get a reaction at all. Very strange! She’ll be glad to know it happened to other people though as we all just called her an attention seeker 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha

Blurp

VIP Member
My honours degree in English Lit says:
Mine says that I've been an avid reader all my life but I've only ever read one book likely to be reviewed in the Sunday papers since. Very definitely a genre reader.

Vroo

Not-Jack's troll is annoying me. They are definitely not Sophie Conran bowls, they are Charlie Bingham (as confirmed up thread). I actually think Not-Jack is not Jack and I feel a bit sorry for them really. Niller, stop being a twat, you're not funny.
I agree - the food on this looks simple yet tasty & not trying to show off ‘bunging ‘everything in. Real Jack could learn from NotJack

Reactions: 18
Ooh just be aware kiwi fruit is quite a common allergen. I started with vaguely tingly mouth from eating them (also fresh pineapple) - then it progressed to airways starting to close from the tiniest bit in fruit salad :(
(Ross in Friends also had a kiwi fruit allergy).
And if they aren't quite ripe, they can have the tingles without it actually being an allergy. Same principle behind using green mango to tenderise meat.

• Wow

Candytuft

VIP Member
I suppose if the squid is used for food, the ink might as well be used as well. It’s black so that when it’s released it stops predators from seeing the squid while it gets away.
The black pasta, common or garden stuff just has colour and flavour added though. Real squid ink pasta is real gourmet stuff and not for me 🤢

phoebuscartel

Another frau said it up thread perfectly, you need to transition in to full vegan to really make it work for you, even if you have years of vegetarianism behind you! Most plant based initiatives understand this, so they are marketing meat free monday, or as you've just said, just cutting down meaty meals and buying better welfare meats.

Jack jumps headfirst whilst blindfolded into these projects. She just sees the money not the purpose. I really don't think LM could have picked a worse representative during veganuary. Honestly, Hugh Fernly-Wittingstall (sp?) would have done a better job!
Hugh FW, Anna Jones, Meera Sodha, Rukmini Iyer all come to mind instantly as omni food writers who would do an excellent job.

ETA although I can imagine they might all say no to the LM tie in.

Marwood

No, she had just set up the Patreon. This was right after Hopkins and in the middle of Kickstarter (she'd taken 58k from people a year before, the book had yet to materialise) so her decision to start a Patreon was met with some cynicism.
Ahhhh I see, thank you! Less directly disrespectful at least

emm

VIP Member
I remember seing that scene as a Dutch teenager and in translated well :D (I believe it was the Kupar family, trying to be seen as the Coopers (I can't find it, so perhaps it wasn't, haha). I was trying to describe the scene to someone recently, who had no clue what I was talking about and it warms my heart it getting a mention here!

ETA: Found it:

I used to love this show! might have a watch tonight to reminisce about simplier times lol

• Heart