Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Funny enough I tore AND I'm one of the rare people who is immune to normal levels of local anesthetic due to an autoimmune condition. I told the woman who was doing my stitches that I need at least double the amount of regular anesthetic and she refused, I genuinely felt every stitch. I wasn't silent though. It was pretty traumatising (on top of a very traumatic pregnancy).
Kind of off topic but I think we have been indoctrinated to think we have to suffer silently through pregnancy and childbirth and the often traumatic aftermath. My mental and physical health has never been the same since but I remember people saying things to me like 'pregnancy isn't an illness' or 'you're pregnant, not sick' & 'mavis had the same condition as you but already has ten kids to look after and she just got on with it' .
Women like Jack bragging about silent thirty hour labours are really not helpful for people who wonder why their experiences were so horrible in comparison to the majority.

Soz, she's making me feel quite ranty today 🤣
i had heard lots of people say they had not been able to follow their birth plan and that made them disappointed from the off so I said in all my appointments my only plan was to have a baby (fingers crossed and everything because that’s not a guarantee) and nothing went as I had anticipated so not having a carefully curated plan meant I didn’t miss it when it all went haywire. I cannot stand competitive mumming - I’m not very sociable in baby circles generally for that reason, also I am selective about the kids I want to hang out with

• Heart
Reactions: 45
OMG she is Zara Phillips when she got her tongue pierced isn’t she!
I didn't know about that!
Bloodying heck, I think she's modelling herself on Elton John's ode to The People's Princess: goodbye England's Rose, but instead of the press hounding her it's a faceless, vicious and mendacious cable

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I’m loving all the star sign chat. I don’t believe in them, but I totally respect those who do, typical Libra! 🤣
Whether you believe in astrology or not, it opens a door to get people talking about personality traits. I’ve had some brilliant relationships with Leos, and so many unrequited crushes on Capricorns and Aquariuses 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 29
"I say mama, for tonight's supper I really think we should have something simple. You've been working so hard on your book and all your media appearances you shouldn't have to spend your evening standing at the stove. Why don't we just have beans on toast?"

"SHAN'T. I'm making us a slow-cooked lentil and banana stew with a tomato, cheese, clam, maple syrup and cherryade base, served with garlic, lemongrass and liquorice croutons and topped with grated egg, lemon juice and thyme from the garden. Now duck off."

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 76
At my local la leche someone tried to start a conversation about ceaserians being skin to child abuse! The one upmanship was jaw dropping, till our lovely leader told her in no uncertain terms that her opinion was not in fact medical knowledge and offensive in a room full of women who'd recently given birth
Had a similar experience at our NCT class, worst way I’ve ever spent £200 unfortunately. Hopefully we just got unlucky with our course leader. She basically said that any form of pain relief for the mother was selfish and would have detrimental effects on the child. I softly, gently, tried to rebut these untruths at the time but was luridly silenced.

One of the fathers was absolutely adamant that his wife would go through labour without any medical intervention; the poor woman ended up with an emergency section in the end and I’m sure he didn’t let it go for quite some time. Horrible. My birth plan basically read “give me all of the drugs” but unfortunately that didn’t happen, and I still haven’t felt up to walking through it in one of those reflection sessions. I’m really keen to have another child but my body and brain is still screaming nooooooo. Hopefully things will change soon!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
Doesn’t it? Why does she always have hundred of ingredients. What’s wrong with sausage and beans? Why would you Chuck beans, lentils and pasta together? I know it’s different food groups but not that different. Would you like some stodge with that stodge? Just let the lad have sausage beans and chips. Why does she have to dress it up like this? Just duck off.

EtA I bet she doesn’t brown the sausage and it lies in its lentil pasta bean slop all pale and flaccid...🤢
Like that fan’s effort (was her name Brenda?). It looked disturbingly phallic. New members need to see it. Anyone have Brenda’s banger to hand?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I HATE it when people say “well at least the baby is OK”. Like women are collateral damage, and it doesn’t matter what happens to them, because only the baby matters.

I’m sorry you had such a traumatic experience. I did too. The “aftercare” was so, so much worse than the care I received in labour, which was great. But that’s fairly typical I think.

I’m glad I tore badly enough to need to be taken to theatre - at least I got an epidural instead of local anaesthetic

Yes!! I ended up shouting at a Doctor who came in and said that to me as I laboured with my second baby, a year after a traumatic labour and in the room next door to where it happened. I exploded at her, I was so angry and upset. She apologised and literally ran out of the room. Prick. Mums matter too!!

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Funny enough I tore AND I'm one of the rare people who is immune to normal levels of local anesthetic due to an autoimmune condition. I told the woman who was doing my stitches that I need at least double the amount of regular anesthetic and she refused, I genuinely felt every stitch. I wasn't silent though. It was pretty traumatising (on top of a very traumatic pregnancy).
Kind of off topic but I think we have been indoctrinated to think we have to suffer silently through pregnancy and childbirth and the often traumatic aftermath. My mental and physical health has never been the same since but I remember people saying things to me like 'pregnancy isn't an illness' or 'you're pregnant, not sick' & 'mavis had the same condition as you but already has ten kids to look after and she just got on with it' .
Women like Jack bragging about silent thirty hour labours are really not helpful for people who wonder why their experiences were so horrible in comparison to the majority.

Soz, she's making me feel quite ranty today 🤣
Hugs to you, Shawads. I had a bad pregnancy and a very traumatic birth too, (won't go into the gory details), and it has honestly scarred me physically and mentally for life. It is why I only have one child so I can totally empathise with you.

I hope you're doing better now xxxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
She...goes to the groucho club for black pasta whenever she gets her heart broken? What is this nonsense?!

Also, just noticed I am now VIP 🌟 almost a year of shitposting has finally paid off and I’ve made something of myself! Off to call my mum and let her know the good news!
Jack has spent more time queuing at the bar of the Groucho Club, but does she describe herself as a current/former Grouch Club user?
Hashtag rhetorical question.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Hi guys. Can we leave off with the birth chat for now if that’s ok? If you want to carry on the conversation, there’s Food and Drink and please use spoilers if you do carry on there. Just because birth experiences are such a subjective and potentially upsetting thing to read about and maybe best to leave off the Jack thread. Cheers.

• Heart
Reactions: 104
i had heard lots of people say they had not been able to follow their birth plan and that made them disappointed from the off so I said in all my appointments my only plan was to have a baby (fingers crossed and everything because that’s not a guarantee) and nothing went as I had anticipated so not having a carefully curated plan meant I didn’t miss it when it all went haywire. I cannot stand competitive mumming - I’m not very sociable in baby circles generally for that reason, also I am selective about the kids I want to hang out with
My birth plan was literally leave me alone unless there's trouble. I hate unnecessary poking and prodding. I am the least competitive mum ever. If the kids are happy then I am happy.

Sorry just seen the mod coment.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Hi guys. Can we leave off with the birth chat for now if that’s ok? If you want to carry on the conversation, there’s Food and Drink and please use spoilers if you do carry on there. Just because birth experiences are such a subjective and potentially upsetting thing to read about and maybe best to leave off the Jack thread. Cheers.
Sorry dearest leader! I shall scamper off like a smol pixie to forage for the F&D thread ❤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
There’s such a thing as competitive non-competitiveness. Not saying anyone is deliberately doing this but it all gets a bit “slummy mummy” 😬 We’re all different ✌🏻

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.