Jack Monroe #155 What a sad little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She talks about being 17 and buying herself a suit in the mens department of shops, where "bemused middle aged men harrumphed into their tape measure". This would be in 2005, so the middle aged men would have been teenagers in the 80's, not the 50's.

Pushing the gender boundaries was at its height in the 80's what with the likes of Annie Lenox and Boy George. Women's trouser suits were everywhere. In 2005 gender non conformity was being talked about, Hayley Cropper was in Corry for goodness sake.

Of course it is quite possible that an individual sales assistant would find it strange that she wanted a man's suit for herself. But I doubt they would harrumph if they thought they could get a sale! It is also odd that she never comes across the helpful assistant she always gets the judgemental unhelpful and bigoted one one.

I know my experiences reflect being brought up in a big city, and Manchester in the 60's, 70's and 80's was particularly accepting of alternative lifestyles. But the way she writes about her experiences just don't ring true. They sound like someone telling a story, not recounting true life events. They all sound like she lived in a backwater in the 1950's.
Last Friday on bc4 they repeated the programme on boy George, and then the new romantic one. This was my era, and it was fantastic to see how fabulous people looked, and how gender norms were discarded. Marilyn was just beautiful.

I bet if Jack had seen me in my Gothic finery then she would have either talked about me behind her hand to her friends, or crossed the street to avoid me.

I think people's working in shops were quite used to customers coming in and dressing differently, or that was my experience. Ffs, even Morrissey used to shop at Evans in Manchester for his blouses

• Heart
Reactions: 53
That amount of tattoos though would have cost a small fortune, if you're coming out of poverty and have no discernible life skills, why go and effectively waste money on something so frivolous? Her poverty prose is so easy to unpick. I find her offensive in that sense, she is such a narc she thinks she is soooo clever and can twist us all round her finger. Nope. Not with us!

Another Frau nailed it perfectly on here, saying she uses clothes and outwards ascetics to fit into her labelled box of the day. It's all dress up and fairy tales with the smol pixie.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Is seeing people as colours part of Synesthesia? Because I've seen people that way my whole life. Guess what colour Jack is to me 😂
Some words and sounds have a taste and mouth feel to me, only a few though, I thought everyone had this, until (I think it was) women's hour interviewed someone about synesthesia. I think I have a mild version of it

Was Jo Cox a murder victim? I recognise the name.
Yes, she was an mp that got murdered by a far right extremist. It was horrible and not that far away from where I live

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
We were real poor and primark all the way! I am forever grateful my older 2 very much rejected local ‘designer’ faves like stone island and Burberry.
😳 also admit I was momentarily taken in by that pic of Jackie at No 10, why is she not wearing traaazers tho?? 🕵🏻‍♀️
edit to make sense
I was sat in the garden this afternoon, enjoying the sun and a cup of tea. I fell asleep (softly, gently), and upon waking, a Robin had alighted on my knee. ‘Bird? On TRAAZERS?!’ I yelled, causing the poor little fucker to scarper...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
I have spent far too much time this afternoon reading Guardian articles featuring Jack. The comments underneath make you fear for the human race. A great example of a Jack supporting squiggle comment:-

"Jack is famous for her recipes, ideas, and ability to feed herself and her child for £10 per week without crap food. She made the recipes up herself, they are delicious and nutritious.

She makes all of those fat people living on benefits, feeding their fat children with chips and burgers and the like saying they don't have enough money to feed themselves, look total idiots."

This is what is so wrong with her supporters, they see truly poor people as, well I refuse to repeat it. If my supporters talked about benefit claimants this way this one did, I would be ashamed. This one is similar to many in the same vein. This is in a left-ish wing paper, Imagine what would be the comments in the Daily Mail.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 81
Holy cow. Show me the pictorial definition of "Delusions of Grandeur".

Haven't squigged SB's face, as this shot is in the public domain AND she's posted it.

View attachment 456502

Her poor son. Her poor parents. She just does not know how to stop.

View attachment 456529
Can someone add a more recent photo of Jack, with the captions, How it started, how it's going, How it ended up......perhaps with the sideboard knicker shot.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
I do hate the, “You have tattoos so you must have money” trope. I have two half-sleeves and my tattoos were cheap as chips which is why they’re mostly shite. Tattoos can be as cheap or expensive as you’re prepared to pay, but you usually get what you pay for.
I normally agree, but this is the girl who said that she was priced out of something after it went up by 6p and that she couldn't afford to turn her lights on.

The things she's alleging are so extreme that normal common sense can't apply.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Going to some awards do for LGBT ~influencers~ during Theresa May's tenure is not quite the flex Jack and her dimwitted centrist followers seems to think it is tbh but hey ho.
This is honestly the most infuriating thing about these pics, she wasn't doing anything of note at Number 10 ffs!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 37
But WHY?
WHY is she Smiling so?
Isn’t she so fekkin SMUG!
P.S She knows it’s the Tories lurking behind the door right?
Oh she knows, that's why she's smiling. I think it's very telling of how she thinks, that she chose that particular photo as her 'made it/look how far I've come' type photo.

Reactions: 30
I always try to understand how others feel and why they would make the decisions they do. I get that not opening letters would be a thing, I got into financial trouble a few years ago and I wouldn’t answer my phone or open letters which isn’t a healthy way to behave but my coping mechanism was to hide. I really REALLY struggle though that Jack would rather sell her child’s belongings than ask her parents for help. I’ve kept some things from my mother but I would suck it up and ask for help before putting my child through that. It’s one thing depriving yourself and wearing a hair shirt but the thought of my child going without just because I’d be ashamed - just wouldn’t happen. Unless of course you have absolutely no one to turn to but she did have her son’s father and her family.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I don’t know why she took her small child to this. She seems to have ditched him for everything else, and there’s plenty of pics of her at awards and nights out, despite the impossible nightmare of childcare arranging. Weird.
View attachment 456237
How old was he at the time? I remember going to WWII remembrance ceremonies to lay flowers for my mum's uncle who died in a concentration camp from a young age (we would be invited as a family). Of course you can't relate this 1:1, but they were serious/earnest ceremonies with sad people and I wanted to come along rather than being left out. I don't think it is bad per se, to bring kids to such a wake. It depends (I say this with no qualifications in children's psychology) I guess how you explain things to them.

Reactions: 21
How old was he at the time? I remember going to WWII remembrance ceremonies to lay flowers for my mum's uncle who died in a concentration camp from a young age (we would be invited as a family). Of course you can't relate this 1:1, but they were serious/earnest ceremonies with sad people and I wanted to come along rather than being left out. I don't think it is bad per se, to bring kids to such a wake. It depends (I say this with no qualifications in children's psychology) I guess how you explain things to them.
He would have been only just 6. She dressed him up in a suit and floridly said about how she’d told him why they were there and what had happened. Then decided less than a year later to stand as an MP herself. head.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.