Jack Monroe #149 How dare you defile our oats?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband had the telly on last night, and THAT MAN was cooking along with Mary Berry - and it was very sweet. He showed much warmth and reverence, somehow without becoming a nervous wreck. This is exactly why he doesn’t need to ‘have a bit of a break from TV stuff’ because he’s so good at it. It was a lovely bit of heartwarming telly, with added bonus of fond nostalgia. Jack could neverrrrrr 👊🏻
My partner doesn’t really do veg. He was brought up and allowed to not eat veg and over the years we have tried different foods. THAT MAN was the first recipe full of veg he actually said he would like to try.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I wouldn’t class a very temporary bit of play acting by his mother (didn’t we work out that the actual ‘poverty’ was only for a couple of months) as an adverse childhood experience. I would say having a parent who is so focused on their own needs that they are neglectful of yours is more of an adverse childhood experience.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 80
It's such a rehash of all her other articles, even down to the 'it doesn't matter if you went to grammar school, you still get wet in the rain' or whatever. The acting like her son is permanently damaged by her DESTITUTION is new though, and horrendous.

It's also 1861 words long, not 3,000, so some poor editor had to cut almost half of it. Which may also explain the delay in getting it online.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
View attachment 434214View attachment 434215
Blargh.
Surely we have a nutritionist amongst us? Can someone please explain why an adult human would ever drink formula milk?

It’s £3.95 / litre, my 6 month old will drink that in a day plus a portion of my artisanal mummy slop! How much would you need to fill a grown woman’s tummy?!?!

Reactions: 48
From the previous thread, a quote from the OJ interview:

"As much as I'd like to go jollying off to the mountains in Cyprus to find my ancestors and run around with goats and write a beautiful hardback cookbook [I'll keep going]"

Is that a dig at Nadiya Hussein and her TV programme where she visited her parents' village in Bangladesh and explored her (actual, not several generations away) culinary heritage? Pretty low if it is!
No you stay away from lovely smiley Nadiya - she makes great food and is really good on TV

Reactions: 32
I can't be arsed reading the article. Also, that was Louisa Compton behind the door. Maybe she returned the brexit tins.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
The thing is that nothing she is saying about poverty is incorrect. It just isn’t her story to tell. It’s like Americans swanning in saying they are Irish because their great great grandad day was.

Reactions: 42
I wouldn’t class a very temporary bit of play acting by his mother (didn’t we work out that the actual ‘poverty’ was only for a couple of months) as an adverse childhood experience. I would say having a parent who is so focused on their own needs that they are neglectful of yours is more of an adverse childhood experience.
Don't most parents try to protect their children from unpleasant memories? I never told my lot anything sad if they didn't need to know it.
This is beyond disgusting.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 64
That article makes me dislike her more than ever. bleeping endless grifter she is. I will never understand the amount of time/space/money she’s given for this bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Blargh.
Thank you for posting the link. I’m still unsure what reality she’s living in, but perhaps enduring hardship as an adult after having been brought up with such privilege is different from when you’ve experienced it as a child and then fall into the same pitfalls as a young single parents as your own mother did. History, I keep being told, repeats itself. The trick is to break the cycle before it’s too late for our own children to follow in our footsteps.

I hope that Jack goes on to say how important it is that we get it right for today’s children before they become tomorrow’s adults, parenting the next generation - but I couldn’t get past her poorly written prose and repeated references to her damn Best Coat.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Jack, you are bleeping disgusting. Your child will read this tit one day.
As someone who had to deal with the impact of ACEs professionally, this is utterly disgusting.

Weaponising other people's trauma for social media sad fishing is appalling.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 72
Where are those bingo cards, I reckon we would be shouting 'house' at The House.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Surely we have a nutritionist amongst us? Can someone please explain why an adult human would ever drink formula milk?

It’s £3.95 / litre, my 6 month old will drink that in a day plus a portion of my artisanal mummy slop! How much would you need to fill a grown woman’s tummy?!?!
Why would she have been given formula milk anyway when her son was a toddler at that time? Did the food bank run out of UHT milk and for some random reason give her formula instead?

Make it make sense.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 62
Blargh.
How convenient that her stint of poverty appears to have come to an end before SB got to an age where he can remember things. Or else maybe some of these people who give her work (please can someone explain why) might like even a small bit of his perspective. This is an article about child poverty but she’ll be rehashing the same story again about a small period of time when she got herself and her son in a situation (by leaving a well-paid job hastily) and was too stubborn to ask for help (seems to be a misguided fear that her parents would have the boy taken into care) and telling her story.

But then we couldn’t have SB getting up into her niche could we. (I have thought that maybe she wouldn’t want her son involved in anything like that for his sake, but she has a repeated and pathological need to twist the narrative to her benefit so I reckon if she thought it would help her, she would let him do an interview with her)

Reactions: 46

Also why would a food bank give her formula for a three year old? All her poverty timelines appear to focus on toddler SB, surely they’d give her milk vouchers instead.

ETA: great minds NP!

Reactions: 47
Don't most parents try to protect their children from unpleasant memories? I never told my lot anything sad if they didn't need to know it.
This is beyond disgusting.
I had written a really long personal thing but it would have triangulated me plus this isn’t all about me. She has really annoyed me today. She literally doesn’t know what it is like to be actually poor.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.