Jack Monroe #138 Jack Monroe MBE

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else setting up a google alert for Jack now? šŸ‘€
šŸ˜„ I had a quick look at the options for setting up an alert.

I have an (unrelated) alert set. All I get is a headline plus two lines of text, after that I have to click to go to the website. Mine is set for NEWS, not Web.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
This is the preview for her GA, in the last 2 days sheā€™s been in two articles, 1 of them is about a made up JM šŸ˜‚ Considering weā€™re on a thread a day very clearly tattle is not coming up in these!

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 15.23.56.png

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Just Googled her and can see she's in this week's podcast with James OBrian... anyone dared listen to it yet?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I co
I hate to defend her in any way, but I think it can go both ways. Both through my own experience and at work, a lot of people who get out of poverty will do stuff like impulse buy a Llama doorstop just because they can. Trainers as well is fairly classic, if they were unreachable as a kid while everyone around you had the designer ones the impulse to buy as soon as you can can be really strong. At one stage I had 5 winter coats because as a kid my mum couldnā€™t even afford one and now I could have them I wanted them. I had to make a real effort to stop impulse buying random tit that like the doorstop just because I could. Obv I wasnā€™t grifting for money at the time, but I think the impulse is fairly common and Iā€™ve known people end up in serious debt because of it.

I donā€™t think poverty is Jackā€™s motivation but Iā€™ve said before I wonder if her parents had strong ideas of what it was worth spending money on, and her impulsivity comes from that. One of the worst people I know for trainers grew up very comfortably but their parents didnā€™t believe in spending money on labels at all - so now they can buy them, they do.
'Take that, Mum, I can buy my own unicorn mug now!'

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Do you use a bog standard nail clipper for humans ? One of mine isnā€™t as light on his feet as he used to be and doesnā€™t go out to use the tree stump as he once did.

I do because I'm too poor to waste money on something branded as being 'for cats'.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Reading this cookbook has made me realise something. Her cooking really is absolute tit. I gave her the benefit of the doubt before, telling myself it was all in the poor presentation, but this is really something horrific. I think even my Food Tech teacher, who forced us to make nothing but meringues for three weeks, would pale at the sight of this monstrosity. On the plus side, it gives me hope that I'm a better cook than I thought I was!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Even if Jack hadnā€™t done any of the other tit things sheā€™s done, Iā€™d still dislike her for all eternity for what she did to that kitten.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
Some frau kindly posted an Allegra interview recently where she said Jack had named something after her childhood pet, she said jokingly that she was trying to endear her to it. Naming things or pets after your other halfā€™s first pet is apparently a theme for Jack. Bloody emotional vampire.
It was her goldfish which she named Allegra and Allegra took that as a come on (her words).

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
20210121_163100.jpg

In my maverick little brain I read Squiggle as calling JM vile. You're right - her unkindness is hard to fathom...but money, squig. The point is money.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I know I'm way too early but just wanted to put it out there in case I forget. I was thinking for this years Sloppies we could invite Jack via her long suffering agent to nominate her Top 5 funniest Tattle Alerts of 2021 and we could vote on the overall winner. She's such a great sport with a wonderful sense of humour who loves a laugh at herself so I think she might go for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
I hate to defend her in any way, but I think it can go both ways. Both through my own experience and at work, a lot of people who get out of poverty will do stuff like impulse buy a Llama doorstop just because they can. Trainers as well is fairly classic, if they were unreachable as a kid while everyone around you had the designer ones the impulse to buy as soon as you can can be really strong. At one stage I had 5 winter coats because as a kid my mum couldnā€™t even afford one and now I could have them I wanted them. I had to make a real effort to stop impulse buying random tit that like the doorstop just because I could. Obv I wasnā€™t grifting for money at the time, but I think the impulse is fairly common and Iā€™ve known people end up in serious debt because of it.

I donā€™t think poverty is Jackā€™s motivation but Iā€™ve said before I wonder if her parents had strong ideas of what it was worth spending money on, and her impulsivity comes from that. One of the worst people I know for trainers grew up very comfortably but their parents didnā€™t believe in spending money on labels at all - so now they can buy them, they do.
It just seems conflicted. She buys really expensive trainers, crockery and fitness gear which fits with being brought up being told not to spend on labels.

But then there is so much which seems to be bought for buyingā€™s sake (and is much cheaper) and smacks of hoarding.

Surely it would be one or the other? Or maybe the compulsion is always there and the outcome just depends on the financial situation at the time.

To be honest, I donā€™t care as long as she isnā€™t taking from those who cannot afford it. In the immediate term I would like to see some resolution on Lindagate.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It just seems conflicted. She buys really expensive trainers, crockery and fitness gear which fits with being brought up being told not to spend on labels.

But then there is so much which seems to be bought for buyingā€™s sake (and is much cheaper) and snacks of hoarding.

Surely it would be one or the other? Or maybe the compulsion is always there and the outcome just depends on the financial situation at the time.

To be honest, I donā€™t care as long as she isnā€™t taking from those who cannot afford it. In the immediate term I would like to see some resolution on Lindagate.
Honestly for me the compulsion fits with the random tat too, and you get into a cycle with it I think where you buy something, then realise ā€œwhat am I going to do with this piece of titā€ and feel bad so when you go out and see something like a cheap mug that appeals to you in the moment youā€™re more likely to buy it to make yourself feel better.

I have more fridge magnets than could ever reasonably be fitted on a fridge as proof šŸ˜‚

I can understand why she does it, but as a side effect of grifting money out of people while she does and then feeding SB shite because she claims sheā€™s broke it is just awful.

Reactions: 24
One of my favourite activities is reading amazon reviews. I just had a flick through some of Jack's book reviews and hooted up a lung at 'A great book if you want to eat only jackfruit'

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I bought something like this

used hold and stroke her paws whilst she was asleep on my lap, then just nip the ends off
I use those as well. Mine's not a huge fan but he'll let it happen.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.