Jack Monroe #134 Suffer the little squiggles, for I am The Poor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just seen her video. if she had worn her specs she would have been a dead ringer for Rose West circa 1995 mug shot.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
You get paid over a grand a month by Patreon backers who get the square root of sod all in return. Sit the duck down.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
I would but I've only had a teenie Dino nap and he's probably behind a paywall,could I just ask you to get a screen grab of what he said?!
I transcribed it into my notes as you can’t afford to access the information

6A4D6B2F-0620-4A8A-9A53-F7D485810401.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Well well well, look what we have here:

https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...-whistlestop-tour-of-how-to-fk-up-everything/

In the above link from May 2012, Jack mentions the following:
  • She talks about being in the public eye, meeting Ed Miliband and the difference her blog is making. She talks of being stopped in in the street by complimentary and supportive strangers.
  • She mentions leaving the fire service in November 2011. I assume she had 9 months maternity leave; does anyone know when her son was born?
  • In the spring of 2012, she had at least two jobs: one in a pub for about a month, which she left because the hours she needed to work would have affected her working tax credit and housing benefit;
  • And one in a coffee/art place for 12 days, before she was sacked from the job trial, for reasons unknown. She agonises over what these reasons might be, including her social awkwardness.
  • She mentions she's trying to live on £1 a day.
  • The job hunt continues.
  • Most importantly, she says this: "I won’t stop until I am in a stable job that fits around my son, to prove to myself and every other single mother out there that it is worth it. Our Government says that being in work pays. You only have to flick back a few posts or to any highlighed in red to see the hell that I have put myself through in order to attempt to believe that tired old phrase. I could stay off work, claim my Housing Benefit, Child Support, Child Tax Credit, Income Support and Council Tax Benefit but I’m not going to. My small boy, aged only two, knows ‘Mummy work’ and knows he goes to ‘Sammys house’ because ‘Mummy work.’ Mummy work. Mummy will work, son. Mummy will set you a good example and Mummy will bring home the bacon, and Mummy will not stop documenting her hell-in-a-handcart journey until she can pay all of her bills, including accumulated debts since November, and prove that there is an end in sight. If I stop here, I have been beaten by a system. I dislike being beaten by anything, but especially dislike being beaten by a system."

So she purposefully held off on going on benefits, out of pride. Reason #83 why her "poverty" was a choice.
Also, I'm pretty sure that at some point in 2012 she got a steady job writing for a local paper. So The Poverty was less than a year, with some periods of employment.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 79
On the one hand the squiggles are attacking her for the wrong things. But on the other, there's a decent point being made about her deciding not to vote Labour at a fairly critical time, let alone spoiling her brexit vote if she's so anti tory.

I'm not a UK citizen and don't live in the UK so sorry if that's presumptuous of me.

Reactions: 36
Hi, I am new to this thread I really want to get involved here but there is just too much to read it would take me 5 years.

This woman seems the most disliked and most unpopular person on Tattle, I take it she's a massive twit.

Love to you all :)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 88
Hi, I am new to this thread I really want to get involved here but there is just too much to read it would take me 5 years.

This woman seems the most disliked and most unpopular person on Tattle, I take it she's a massive twit.

Have a look at the recaps at the start of the threads and jump in ☺. We go round in circles with Jack's behaviour anyway so you'll not miss out 😂

Guys are we on the late shift again? Should I put the kettle on?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54

Yes you have just done a TLDR of all the threads 🤣 we recommend thread 31. I also like 66 myself.
🥕hole

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
C

Oh come on, what else are you going to do with that 5 years? Just pull up a chair and settle in. Also, things happen in Jack time at a different pace, the space-time continuum was disrupted the day she wrote her first blog, time no longer has meaning. So 5 years really is like, what, a three week intense catch up? Or just read the first thread, thread #31 (she graces us with her presence), then just read the recaps.

• Haha
Reactions: 45

https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...-whistlestop-tour-of-how-to-fk-up-everything/

• She talks about being in the public eye, meeting Ed Miliband and the difference her blog is making. She talks of being stopped in in the street by complimentary and supportive strangers.
  • She mentions leaving the fire service in November 2011. I assume she had 9 months maternity leave; does anyone know when her son was born?
  • In the spring of 2012, she had at least two jobs: one in a pub for about a month, which she left because the hours she needed to work would have affected her working tax credit and housing benefit;
  • And one in a coffee/art place for 12 days, before she was sacked from the job trial, for reasons unknown. She agonises over what these reasons might be, including her social awkwardness.
  • Most importantly, she says this: "I won’t stop until I am in a stable job that fits around my son, to prove to myself and every other single mother out there that it is worth it. Our Government says that being in work pays. You only have to flick back a few posts or to any highlighed in red to see the hell that I have put myself through in order to attempt to believe that tired old phrase. I could stay off work, claim my Housing Benefit, Child Support, Child Tax Credit, Income Support and Council Tax Benefit but I’m not going to. My small boy, aged only two, knows ‘Mummy work’ and knows he goes to ‘Sammys house’ because ‘Mummy work.’ Mummy work. Mummy will work, son. Mummy will set you a good example and Mummy will bring home the bacon, and Mummy will not stop documenting her hell-in-a-handcart journey until she can pay all of her bills, including accumulated debts since November, and prove that there is an end in sight. If I stop here, I have been beaten by a system. I dislike being beaten by anything, but especially dislike being beaten by a system."

So she purposefully held off on going on benefits, out of pride. Reason #83 why her "poverty" was a choice.
Also, I'm pretty sure that at some point in 2012 she got a steady job writing for a local paper. So The Poverty was less than a year, with some periods of employment.
Plus she also did sex work and held a yard sale during The Poverty, both of which would have brought in some money. I also have a vague memory of her running a small craft business from home towards the end of The Poverty too. Whilst I don't doubt she struggled during that time, taking into account the work and cash she was able to make to make she would have earned over the applicable amount and been bit better off than someone in her situation who relied solely on benefits.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
C

Oh come on, what else are you going to do with that 5 years? Just pull up a chair and settle in. Also, things happen in Jack time at a different pace, the space-time continuum was disrupted the day she wrote her first blog, time no longer has meaning. So 5 years really is like, what, a three week intense catch up? Or just read the first thread, thread #31 (she graces us with her presence), then just read the recaps.
I love the sense of community on this thread, you're all very welcoming. Ive just got a coffee and I'm here for the foreseeable. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 72
Have a look at the recaps at the start of the threads and jump in ☺. We go round in circles with Jack's behaviour anyway so you'll not miss out 😂

Guys are we on the late shift again? Should I put the kettle on?
Yeah but I don’t drink tea. Except for when it’s a litre of it next to my bed-desk-pit. And then it’s only Pukka teabags, which I’ve costed at 0.0001p each. I don’t drink coffee either, and let me tell you, when I don’t drink my coffee I’m an absolute dragon so I simply must have one before I do anything. I’ll bring my Sophie Conran cup, yeah? Got it in a puddle. I deserve nice things.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
Does she think her tattoos and 'markings' are so notable, bank tellers will gladly hand over security-sensitive material on the strength of them? 'Of course you can have access to your vault, I'd recognise that GCSE Philosophy textbook quote anywhere!"
She must think everyone finds her so interesting and unique they've memorised her tattoos.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Yup get the kettle on, she’s still going. I measure my insomnia by whether @Puddy Muddle and @waffle maker come in whilst I’m still up (love you guys, but not insomnia)
She’s obsessed with this Vicky Tory now
Big surprise she is a Tory who has ££££ - Fancy!
Does she really want to pick at this scab? Someone get Laura Waddell on the phone and send her @Bumbear ’s awesome takedown of Jack’s annual accounts, and also the thing from the food blogger in thread #1 who earns £4-5k from ad revenue alone.

You earn 6 figures while begging from people who give their winter fuel allowance to you, Jackie. Just because you spunk most of it at Cotswold Co. and on £3k Smeg fridges doesn’t mean it isn’t money in the bank.

I long for the demise of her career and social media presence.

• Heart
Reactions: 62

Those highlighted portions to me are why I think Jack gets embraced by as the spokesperson for poverty, because she's projecting this idea that the poors just have to want to get off benefits and viola, it happens. Those who stay on benefits just don't have the drive and that's that and suddenly it becomes easier to vilify those who need benefits long-term. By saying, Mummy will set a good example, she's saying working is morally right, not being on benefits is morally right. Maybe I'm projecting, but I just truly cannot get over someone having that mentality and then acting like they speak for all people in poverty.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Yup get the kettle on, she’s still going. I measure my insomnia by whether @Puddy Muddle and @waffle maker come in whilst I’m still up (love you guys, but not insomnia)
She’s obsessed with this Vicky Tory now
Big surprise she is a Tory who has ££££ - Fancy!
I was today years old when I found out government ministers were so well paid. Until Jack brought this to my attention I just assumed they were on about £15,000 a year. I wonder how Jack is able to access this TOP SECRET information.

• Haha
Reactions: 76
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.