Jack Monroe #129 Jack, could we have a quick chat?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Solidarity!!! Been there. Without sounding dramatic, it’s a horrific illness. I hope you’re doing well now. ❤
Much better thank (space) you.

I don’t know HOW I keep the diagnosis out of my Twitter Bio, or blame it for every thought I have.

Also, Jack would not last a day in a PRU. She thinks it would be kids like her imaginary teen self. And would be howling within an hour at not having time to be on Twitter or have a Dino nap.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
duck off, duck off, duck off.

Not everything is a sign of autism, she doesn't even have an autistic brain.

I'm autistic and have never pondered when afternoon ends, even if I had it wouldn't be because I am autistic.

Of all the bullshit she spouts the autism stuff annoys me the most. Us autistic women have to fight to be supported and not be stereotyped and this type of rubbish just makes it harder.

Teenager messing around with a knife in school is grounds for immediate suspension, not something to boast about on Twitter, that is if it even happened since I'm sure schools have any scalpels safely locked away. I could also see carrying a knife being reported to the police.

Of course, chances are it never have happened otherwise it would have been mentioned before.
But by her own admission she did two serious things she stole and she had what would be considered a weapon on her. These are both serious rule breaking. I believe she would be expelled and I don't think it's something to boast about . Also she's still trying to out trump trump with her little school antidote.

Also is she implying she stole it to self harm? Most of the girls I knew who self harmed did in places that were not obvious. Like their stomach and their thighs. It's a serious mental health thing and these girls. There was a couple of girls who did it with protractors in the classroom because their boyfriends were being dickheads and it got them attention but a few of my friends who actually had mental health issues, did their very best to hide it.

I am no phycologist but I sense she and was a very overlooked very lonely person who craves attention judging by her need to do anything and everything negative and positive to get some sort of attention and even when she does get it it's fleeting so she has to find more chaos to keep attention on her.

She needs to work on herself and find validation without inviting chaos.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
So, yet again, she bags a high profile brand partnership (and in the vegetarian food sphere it doesn’t come much bigger than Linda Mac) but a) doesn’t communicate anything about it ahead of time and b) decides to run roughshod over the announcement with some tedious bollocks about her time at Grange Hill?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Hallo Hausfrauen, this might be a long post and apologies if what I'm going to say is a retread of other things (I'm a few threads behind, on a grunk and all) but hey I'm here and I'm chronically lonely and I'm too cold to get out of bed so I thought I'd share my two cents.

Firstly, I had genuinely never heard of Jack Monroe before joining Tattle but these threads have kept me entertained and giggling away for the past month, so thank you very much for that!

There have been a few things building as I've passively observed the threads, so like I said, apologies if this has already been said but I wanted to chip in.

Firstly, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune suppressing disease (I have relatives with it) and said relatives basically have a constant cold because of the lack of immune system to prevent catching every teeny weeny bug going around - obviously that also means they're high risk for Covid. In the interest of shielding, Jack probably shouldn't have been gallivanting around all year, but alas duty to slop apparently called.

Also, a few threads ago I saw the stuff about suing tattle for libel etc and this really flibbeted my giblets. A few years ago, the landlord of a property I had moved out of found a negative review I'd left of his (shithole, spider-infested, everything-broken, damp-coated) house several months prior. I didn't even live there at the time, but he apparently decided the best course of action was to send many emails harassing myself and my housemates and threatening to sue us in order to intimidate us into taking the review down. This basically meant I spent a month of my life in an already tit year furiously writing emails to everyone and anyone saying "he can't do this, can he?"

The answer was: no, of course not. He was being an odious bleep (I don't use that word lightly) throwing his weight around, pretending to have multiple lawyers writing up letters against us. It really took its toll on me and my housemates - I mean, I still flinch when I get an email - but in the end I sorted it by battling my way through all of his increasingly preposterous bullshit claims, seeking advice from multiple sources, and eventually having the police involved to tell him to stop harassing us because, oh yeah, trying to get people to do something they're not obliged to do via the means of harassment is illegal.

Honestly the whole thing has affected me so much I'm even afraid to mention it here just in case he somehow finds it and I get in trouble again. Thanks, anxiety. Anyway, one of the things I learnt from the experience was that I was perfectly within my rights to leave a review because I, as tenant, had been paying for a service provided by the landlord, aka the house. I was therefore the customer in the transaction. I think that a similar situation applies here: something is not defamatory if it is a statement of truth and an honest opinion, and doesn't cause actual harm (so get fucked, landlord), and considering a lot of people here are former fans of hers who paid for her stuff, whether it be her books or her kickstarter stuff, there's every reason to have an opinion, even a negative one, funnily enough.

Anyways thanks for reading all that. Now I'm going to hide in a cupboard in fear of getting another angry email from the l*ndl*rd just in case he uses Tattle too, ciao Frauen x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 125
Had to have a (long) break from Jack but it seems I can't keep away! I think I cried laughing through the Carole Malone thread.

What really gets me is Jack continually saying how she nearly wrote a book on whatever. She reminds me a bit of myself when I was a kid and assumed that when I learnt something for the first time, no-one else had ever known about it before. Totally agree with everyone who says Jack has a huge chip on her shoulder about education. She has such a disconnect from how she presents herself to how she sees herself. If she goes into dinner parties or meetings with journalists and says "I just rinse beans, me" (or, y'know, they just read her twitter), then of course they won't take her seriously when she said she wanted to write about politics.

I just get the impression that she wants to prove her school wrong by being an expert in a lot of fields. But to actually be an expert, you need passion and you need to commit. Of course it's horrible to have an idea and get dismissed by others. But if it was something Jack was really, genuinely passionate about, she'd do it anyway. Or she'd have family and friends to encourage her to do it. Instead she needs the validation from strangers on twitter, long after the event happened. Her whole life narrative is her wanting to prove other people were wrong about her.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
I love Forensic Political Analyst Jack (who lives in a world in which the only countries are the UK and USA). Le Pen Sr reached the 2nd round of the French presidential election 19 years ago, the rise of the far right is not that recent, and should be viewed in a bigger context.

THANKYOUGOD that we never had to deal with "I'm Jack Monroe, and I would have been top of the Nazis' hitlist for being a tattooed vegan non-binary single mum accidental conqueror of my own fears and hashtag founder. Now I'm the first tourist ever to come to Auschwitz, and I'm here to ask the question...where's MY support, Rishi Sunak?"

Because we all know that her Holocaust fact-finding trip would put Jack Monroe front and centre. It would be even worse than Tanzania.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
Had to have a (long) break from Jack but it seems I can't keep away! I think I cried laughing through the Carole Malone thread.

What really gets me is Jack continually saying how she nearly wrote a book on whatever. She reminds me a bit of myself when I was a kid and assumed that when I learnt something for the first time, no-one else had ever known about it before. Totally agree with everyone who says Jack has a huge chip on her shoulder about education. She has such a disconnect from how she presents herself to how she sees herself. If she goes into dinner parties or meetings with journalists and says "I just rinse beans, me" (or, y'know, they just read her twitter), then of course they won't take her seriously when she said she wanted to write about politics.

I just get the impression that she wants to prove her school wrong by being an expert in a lot of fields. But to actually be an expert, you need passion and you need to commit. Of course it's horrible to have an idea and get dismissed by others. But if it was something Jack was really, genuinely passionate about, she'd do it anyway. Or she'd have family and friends to encourage her to do it. Instead she needs the validation from strangers on twitter, long after the event happened. Her whole life narrative is her wanting to prove other people were wrong about her.
This. She’s the very personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
I’m grunking but she’d better get working on her application to do an Access to HE Course. She’ll probably need one of maths or English at a-c already to even apply or she’d have to get one first. She can take the other alongside. This will take her a year and will be hard work, and then she’ll be be able to apply to train to be a teacher. There are a number of ways to do this but it will be at least 3 years. Tuition fees will be a loan and she won’t have to pay back the fees for Access if she goes straight on to a degree. Maintenance loans are means tested. Access courses normally start in September so assuming one of her GCSEs is maths or English if she does it full time she can start her plan B in about 4 1/2 years of full time hard work. Better get moving Jack.

May have 🔺 my job a bit here

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
when she says she thinks about reaching out to those meanie journalists what exactly does she intend to say? a letter saying 'I told you so'?! her life is just a succession of Pretty Woman moments

also saying that her school kicked you off gcses if you were predicted lower than a C is a new embellishment...and also something i 'm pretty sure i said on here about my school a few months ago

Reactions: 42
Just caught up on the latest Jackanory.

Has she told the story about being invited back to the school to speak before? I feel like she's given us that 'and I had the last laugh' before? Unless she's done it so often now it's all blending into one?

I have a genuine last laugh story. I had trouble getting work after uni like most people and after one of those awful 'you've been unemployed for 6 months and still got nothing' courses I was placed at a firm that was looking for someone to help them with their new extras website. I had expressed an interest in getting into TV and this guy needed someone to help set the website up, write copy etc. Lord knows my writing isn't perfect but they thought with my English degree it would be a good fit.

The hilarious thing about his guy was he also had a parking fine company. In fact, that was his main source of income. I would often hear him on the phone with people who had called to complain about their penalty notices being unfair/restrictions not posted clearly. He once joked about a woman who had called up crying, saying she had kids and couldn't afford it. He yelled at her and was just an awful awful man.

He had no idea how he might branch out into running an extras agency. He just wanted to create this website that people would pay to be featured on, despite knowing absolutely nobody in the TV and film industry.

Anyway, long story short, I helped with both businesses and was steadily setting things up for them on the extras website. I didn't like him and it wasn't much money but hey it was something.

Then he tells me his wife is going to get involved too. Okay I thought. But it turns out his wife getting involved was her telling me to write tit that a) wasn't true and b) didn't make any sense at all. I tried to reason with them both but it basically fell on deaf ears.

One night, after his wife told me to write something especially nonsensical on the home page, I responded back sarcastically. He lost his rag at me and fired me basically on the spot. I remember getting the bus home and crying to my Mum thinking it was the end of the world.

Fast forward maybe six months, a year and after blitzing every company I could, I had gotten my first job in TV. Front of house at a company in central London. We had an inbox that it was my job to go through every day....and lo and behold, one day I got an email from this guy's extras/talent 'agency'. Saying that they worked with a number of companies (nobody) and had a huge roster of talent (nobodies who had paid money for nothing) and would we be interested?

I have never experienced such sweet petty pleasure in all my life as I replied.

'Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we only work with established agencies and do not accept unsolicited emails. I wish you the very best of luck with your website'

Reader, the 'extras agency' has never been seen again.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 110
Just caught up on the latest Jackanory.

Has she told the story about being invited back to the school to speak before? I feel like she's given us that 'and I had the last laugh' before? Unless she's done it so often now it's all blending into one?
I think this is a new story, but it bears several remarkable similarities to the teacher who told her she'd wind up flipping burgers, no? Her respected all-girls grammar school was a bit of a Dickensian nightmare...

PS I love your last laugh story.

Reactions: 45
So she said herself she was a naughty teen got a bollocking and then went back smug. I means she's not cured cancer or invented the wheel, she's had a few slots on telly and wrote a few books. She's z list at best. She is the same level celebrity status as people from love island.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.