Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree I didn't know much about her then, but I don't see it as much as victory.

I don't see sueing someone as something to be proud off. If you have to do it then ok and if you win with a good case great, but there where it should end. I think
The whole court case is the thing that I have most had my eyes opened about on this thread. Like so many others, I didn't follow it closely, thought KH was a terrible human being (still think that) and was just so glad that poor, left-wing JM got justice.

Thanks to Tattle, I now know more about libel law than Mark Lewis and have revised my opinion on the whole matter considerably.

The whole case only happened and was won because

KH is a collossal bellend who was too proud to admit she had tweeted about the wrong person.
JM managed to convince the courts that she had lost income due to KH's tweets and the court made it clear that the case was won very narrowly.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
This really pinches my pencil! 😠 You don't get to be santimoniously critical when you flout the restrictions and make tit up. If there had been better adherence since the new variant was identified may be things wouldn't be so bad.

jm.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
This really pinches my pencil! 😠 You don't get to be santimoniously critical when you flout the restrictions and make tit up. If there had been better adherence since the new variant was identified may be things wouldn't be so bad.

View attachment 371836
My knitting is well and truly ripped. Who the duck is she to criticise anyone over Covid measures given her own rather flexible approach to the rules?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 55
Probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't understand the love Jack gets for suing Hopkins. All it really did was make a situation that was already bad for Hopkins a bit worse and speed up her inevitable financial difficulties coming to a head. Hopkins was already on her way out at the Mail as she'd cost them a fortune settling with the Mahmood family in 2016, with another separate libel case against the Mail pending well into 2017. She carried on working at LBC for several months after the Monroe verdict and might be there yet if it wasn't for her awful comments about the Manchester bombing. If she hadn't continued saying increasingly hateful things and being a total liability to her various media employers she might have been able to absorb the losses from Monroe's action. Hopkins did herself in, in terms of her mainstream media career- Jack had no impact at all on de-platforming her. Jack's case is only interesting because of the Twitter aspect, it hasn't made Hopkins any less hateful and I'm sorry but a mouthy racist living in a smaller house than they used to isn't much of a victory. The way Jack swaggers about like she's struck a blow against fascism is pathetic and I'm mystified as to why so many people seem to believe it.
I see Mark Lewis used the excuse for tweeting death threats that he ‘entered a dream like state’ due to medication he was on. Not sure whether in the trial Katie Hopkins mentioned her epilepsy and brain surgery, probably not as much as Jack has complained about her difficulty in sometimes opening tins. Not saying Katie wasn’t absolutely Allison Pearson the first on Twitter & print, as she most certainly was, but there are shades of it and Jack paints herself as angelic in comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Screenshot_20210104-191404.png

She's absolutely shitting herself here that she might have to have her son full time and forgo her many naps and extensive me time. Support bubbles for co-parents won't be stopped but Jack had three childcare support bubbles as she can't cope looking after her own child.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 76
I see Mark Lewis used the excuse for tweeting death threats that he ‘entered a dream like state’ due to medication he was on. Not sure whether in the trial Katie Hopkins mentioned her epilepsy and brain surgery, probably not as much as Jack has complained about her difficulty in sometimes opening tins. Not saying Katie wasn’t absolutely Allison Pearson the first on Twitter & print, as she most certainly was, but there are shades of it and Jack paints herself as angelic in comparison.
Yeah I’d noticed he’d pulled the “disability” as mitigation...sounds familiar wonder where he took that corker from 🤔

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Wow! Pop into Tattle to find the JM thread languishing down about 9th from top. I guess she’s having a quiet day, 😁.

The court case against KH was when I didn't know is much about JM, so I was happy to see her win. Sadly it seems to have fed into her delusions about herself and her relevance to the world.

KH is a hideous individual and to be honest I prefer Jack. However am hoping Jack will become less and less relevant as time goes on and as people realise how manipulative she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't understand the love Jack gets for suing Hopkins. All it really did was make a situation that was already bad for Hopkins a bit worse and speed up her inevitable financial difficulties coming to a head. Hopkins was already on her way out at the Mail as she'd cost them a fortune settling with the Mahmood family in 2016, with another separate libel case against the Mail pending well into 2017. She carried on working at LBC for several months after the Monroe verdict and might be there yet if it wasn't for her awful comments about the Manchester bombing. If she hadn't continued saying increasingly hateful things and being a total liability to her various media employers she might have been able to absorb the losses from Monroe's action. Hopkins did herself in, in terms of her mainstream media career- Jack had no impact at all on de-platforming her. Jack's case is only interesting because of the Twitter aspect, it hasn't made Hopkins any less hateful and I'm sorry but a mouthy racist living in a smaller house than they used to isn't much of a victory. The way Jack swaggers about like she's struck a blow against fascism is pathetic and I'm mystified as to why so many people seem to believe it.
I suspect a good chunk of her followers have absolutely no exposure to racism or poverty (or even being a bit tight at the end of the month) etc outside of what they read on Twitter, so they can buy into the clean cut myths Jack peddles and fully buy into her as a concept. So they think Katie Hopkins is a social ill that Jack toppled, when realistically most people just want to be able to feed and clothe their kids and couldn’t give a duck. Most people aren’t even active on Twitter. Twitter is a really odd vacuum that’s managed to make a lot of people who are otherwise politically inactive & inactive in their communities feel like they’re doing a lot?

And I’m not doing her down as it was an achievement (ETA - and KH is clearly indefensible trash) & she’s bought some lovely furniture from it, and most importantly deplatforming works massively and helps slow down the #algorithm introducing hateful ideaology to ppl / bringing so many into hate communities online definitely, but the court case didn’t even result in her being kicked off Twitter (or did it? Happy to be corrected)

Sorry for the dead content, will hopefully be able to triangulate an office chair or something fun soon

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
View attachment 371850
She's absolutely shitting herself here that she might have to have her son full time and forgo her many naps and extensive me time. Support bubbles for co-parents won't be stopped but Jack had three childcare support bubbles as she can't cope looking after her own child.
Children were never prevented from moving between parents, were they? Even in the first lockdown?

Reactions: 49
Sorry, I hope I’m not derailing but she’s mentioned her sibling (tenuous link incoming)

It’s bothered me for a long time that as foster carers, her parents would of been privy to all the latest training on child development, behaviour strategies, how real adhd and spectrum disorders are. How not to label behaviour as just naughty but look at the reasons / difficulties a child was having socially / academically and so on.

But she states that they found out she was autistic or was it she had adhd as a child but her foster caring trained parents dismissed it out of hand. No follow up, no falling back on the ongoing training to help their own biological child. It just doesn’t ring true or if it does then as foster carers you could assume that they could have failed in their duty of care to support vulnerable children coming into their home.

I’m sorry if it’s spectacularly off track but it’s been niggling me for ages and these threads tend to move at pace. I’ve read a lot of fostering memoirs and they’ve always accessed and jumped through hoops to support the children they’ve cared for that I find it impossible to believe her parents as foster carers wouldn’t of done the same for jack (their biological child)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Children were never prevented from moving between parents, were they? Even in the first lockdown?
They never have - but she must have it harder than anyone else - all the while our lockdown babies haven’t met most their family & will be traumatised when they have to start nursery. But heaven forbid Jack has to hang out with her Victorian child!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
You don’t get to call for lockdown when you went to the other end of the country right after the first one finished.

• Heart
Reactions: 60

Nothing better when you're either a) sitting your BTECs or b) your mocks to have the adoptive sister you never lived with tell the entire world that your mental health isn't *brilliant this week.

Although, complaining about children at home when they genuinely need to be suggests that someone's stuck with childcare this week, doesn't it?

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.