Jack Monroe #116 Burger and lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jeeze that whole letter from her is a massive pile of cringe. Made even worse by the fact that if any of it is true, she could have prevented a lot of it by telling SBs dad or her own family how she was living. If I couldn’t afford to feed my kids or heat their room at night but I knew someone in my family could there would be no question of me making sure they were staying somewhere safe and warm until I could sort my financial shit out.

Reactions: 72
I knew Jack’s article was full of lies when I read the highlighted bit. She has ALWAYS tried everything before a squiggle suggests it.

Reactions: 42
Yes! We say sausage as “soss arrj” because someone on the apprentice said it about 19 years ago

Reactions: 45
First of all, congrats to Laura and Kirsty! Perhaps Jack can read their winning articles to get some tips on how to write SCATHING essays without resorting to a diatribe about how they tried to commit suicide.

On that point, it really is the sign of a narc abuser to bring something like that up in order to, what, win an argument? Divert attention from the fact that she didn't grow up in a working class environment? I could take this piece apart sentence by sentence but I love the juxtaposition of "When you descend into personal attacks against your opponent, it is because you have no political argument left." with "When you tweet your opponent's grandfather's obituary all over the internet in a foul attempt at smearing their reputation, it is because you are scum."

Jack: 'My family weren't rich'

Also Jack: 'When I was drinking lemonade with my grandad in his guest house'

https://giphy.com/CKrlUi30dn44w
She leaves out the fact that it was just one of his many 'guesthouses'.

Reactions: 54
Exactly! This is typical Nigella being playful and arch. Are people really suggesting this is an example of a posh person not really knowing how to say “microwave”?
Oh, honestly! Anyone who thought Nigella was being serious needs to do some deep thinking. It’s a bit like people who try and be funny/silly by calling Primark pree-marsh-ay, a sort of French slant, as if making it posher. Might not be side-splittingly hilarious, but hardly marks someone as a posh freak!

Reactions: 43
The white middle class privilege is just so strong! How can she not see that? Guest houses. Guest houses!

Sometimes I think to myself 'well you weren't that poor really, your family managed to buy a house' One house. That my family almost lost when the mortgage rates soared. But I wouldn't consider myself poor. We just struggled like most working class families. Fucking melt she is.

Reactions: 53
That last bit about still working for Sainsbury's. That aged well!!

Edwina really did get to her didn't she! Ah poor little Jack, in poverty for 11 weeks. Still going on about it all these years later.
I don't doubt she had a shitty time, but it was 10 years ago. Strictly speaking not 'poverty'
She could easily have tapped the parents or her child's father for 11 weeks. That's not even 3 months.

It will never not baffle me why she hasn't moved on from 'Potatoes' Why hasn't she used all the opportunities she's been given? Why does she lie? Why is she so horrible?

Reactions: 56
Yep! Decades ago, when people were priced out of Chelsea and moving south of the river, they did the same to Battersea (Bat-tease-ee-ahh) and Streatham (Saint Reetham). Dear heart Nige was having a laugh and has created a storm in a portmeirion tea cup.

Reactions: 33
Edwina really did get to her didn't she! Ah poor little Jack, in poverty for 11 weeks. Still going on about it all these years later.
That's what I noticed too, she's all like 'well you could maybe manage it for one week but ME, I did it for ELEVEN weeks'. Ignoring the literal elevenerifing, it's as though she's actually forgotten that people can spend years/whole lives like that? That they're not suddenly dropped into it in their 20s for a few weeks, that they have childhoods marred by poverty. She says her point is that it can happen to anyone, using herself as an example - basically an admission that it's not something she's ever experienced before, and it's not something which should happen to nice middle class white girls like her.

Reactions: 76
I think “storm in a Portmeirion tea cup” just about sums up this entire situation, from Jack’s life over the last ten years, to Nigella’s microwave....

Reactions: 36
I think “storm in a Portmeirion tea cup” just about sums up this entire situation, from Jack’s life over the last ten years, to Nigella’s microwave....
Made even better because of Jack's smashed portmeirion crockery

Reactions: 28
11weeks!

Reactions: 23
Oh that letter to Edwina. She never fails to give me a daily dose of butt-clenching cringe. She's like a teenager who got into a fight & did nothing to defend themselves at the time but after they act all hard & full of it. I still don't believe she ever kicked anyone in the shins - it happened in her imaginary reenactment of the event.

Reactions: 46
Christ what an absolute liability Jack is.

I'm also quite disturbed by the way she keeps bringing up these suicide attempts. Ages ago I took part in metal health training for work.One of the tutors was a former service user who at one point discussed his own suicide attempt. Before he started he made clear that he would not be disclosing the method he used or answering any questions on that for the reason that it can influence others who maybe at risk of suicide. The way Jack describes her attempt above could put others at risk, particularly as it worked out OK in so far as she threw up the pills. We think of Paracetamol as almost harmless because it's a cheap everyday drug but it can cause a lot of damage even in cases of accidental overdose. Anyone reading Jacks account who is seriously struggling would be forgiven for thinking such a method might be viable cry for help. It absolutely isn't.

By inserting it into a debate about benefits it gives the impression if we only had a fairer benefits system it would never have happened. People attempt suicide because they are very seriously mentally ill not directly because of a tragic or difficult life event. If Jack were remotely interested in the well being of other people I'd suggest she spend some time reading the Samaritans Media Guidelines on Suicide.

Reactions: 76
Doesn't that fluctuate? Sometimes she says 11 weeks, sometimes 18 months? She doesn't exaggerate does she??

Reactions: 58
No martyr points in that though.

Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.