J. K. Rowling #7 JK and the Deathly Threats

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone been following the recent Twitter exchange between JK and Kirstie Allsop!? I don’t how it started but Kirstie’s posts are clueless and idiotic (some of the thousands of replies received though are funny!)
Yes. As usual, JKR is bang on, Kirstie thinks she can rewrite history, and I don't even know what she's in a strop about anyway. JKR didn't attack her; Kirstie just made a claim that was demonstrably untrue and JKR demonstrated that it was untrue. You'd think after all her time in the public eye, Kirstie would have a slightly thicker skin than that. Has she never been contradicted before?
---
She looks more glam than I'd imagined Midge to be. I thought she was a butch lesbian.
That might just be a standard headshot...they might dress her down a bit for the role. She does look like a slightly glammer version of what I imagine Midge to look like.

I did feel a bit sorry for Littlejohn.

Reactions: 7
Yes. As usual, JKR is bang on, Kirstie thinks she can rewrite history, and I don't even know what she's in a strop about anyway. JKR didn't attack her; Kirstie just made a claim that was demonstrably untrue and JKR demonstrated that it was untrue. You'd think after all her time in the public eye, Kirstie would have a slightly thicker skin than that. Has she never been contradicted before?

I suspect it’s simply inconceivable to her that there’s ever a case where she’s not right and she’s not the cleverest person in the debate. She is the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect: the overestimation of one's abilities/knowledge due to a lack of self-awareness.

Have a look at this as a prime example of her horrifying lack of self-awareness. She genuinely thinks that she’s doing a distressed mother a favour here by offering them the benefit of her enlightened outlook:

1713468233347.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I suspect it’s simply inconceivable to her that there’s ever a case where she’s not right and she’s not the cleverest person in the debate. She is the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect: the overestimation of one's abilities/knowledge due to a lack of self-awareness.
Why would she think she's especially clever? She's certainly not a stupid woman but her job is presenting property programmes...she needs to be energetic, good on camera and have good product knowledge but why would she imagine this makes her so very unusually clever? It's not a job for a thick person but it's not rocket science either.

Ah, I guess that's the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Reactions: 6
Why would she think she's especially clever? She's certainly not a stupid woman but her job is presenting property programmes...she needs to be energetic, good on camera and have good product knowledge but why would she imagine this makes her so very unusually clever? It's not a job for a thick person but it's not rocket science either.
Why would she think she's especially clever? Because she’s incredibly arrogant.

This is a perfect example of her immense arrogance, and her lack of self-awareness:

1713468957538.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Oh good God. So she was born aristocratic, and 50-odd years ago, but thinks the youth of today could have everything she has if they just stopped buying coffee and avocados?

I take it back, she is a stupid woman. And up against the intelligence of JKR, which requires its own passport and voting card...that's absolutely risible.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
1000028093.png

Here's Midge on set. I pinched this from Instagram, from @ corm_and_robin who credits @strikefans and @cormstrikefan on Twitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m currently listening to IBH on audiobook and I’m really enjoying it. It’s made me realise just how much of the twitter / Drek’s game conversations I didn’t read properly in the physical book. I’m so excited to see it on screen.

Reactions: 5
I’m currently listening to IBH on audiobook and I’m really enjoying it. It’s made me realise just how much of the twitter / Drek’s game conversations I didn’t read properly in the physical book. I’m so excited to see it on screen.
I'm so keen to see it!!

Is it worth getting the audiobooks? I have read them all but thought if the audiobooks are any good I'd listen to them on my way to work.

I'm so keen to see it!!

Is it worth getting the audiobooks? I have read them all but thought if the audiobooks are any good I'd listen to them on my way to work.
Yes they are brilliant! I’ve only recently got into audiobooks and once I started on the Strike series I just haven’t been able to stop!

Although I may now be spoiled by Robert Glenister doing the reading, because I now think he should do every audiobook ever and narrate my life to me. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m rereading IBH right now and find myself skipping the game chats again, they don’t come across very well on Kindle and the formatting is sometimes a bit wonky.
Not massively into audiobooks, but I think I’ll give it a try, it’s on Spotify.

Reactions: 4
Yes! The audiobooks are brilliant! So wonderfully narrated. Well worth it. I am just about to start Career of Evil. 18 hours of listening ahead of me!

I'm so keen to see it!!

• Heart
Just read in one of my groups that the crew have finished filming The Ink Black Heart can't wait to see it. Wonder if it will be Christmas or August Bank Holiday?

Just read in one of my groups that the crew have finished filming The Ink Black Heart can't wait to see it. Wonder if it will be Christmas or August Bank Holiday?
Wow that seems quick.
I've just checked instagram and the fan accounts I follow, who often seem to appear at filming locations, say it's a wrap.

I'm so keen to see it!!

The audiobooks are

UNREAL.

I've never heard anyone with such mastery of accents as Robert Glenister.
He does Strike's Cornish growl perfectly.
He does Robin's lovely Yorkshire accent so well I sometimes forget that it's a male voice.
He gives Pat the gravelliest cockney you ever heard, its almost comical, but thats exactly how shes written.
He does a flawless Glaswegian for Barclay.
Flawless home counties RP accent.
Flawless upper class accent for all the aristos Strike comes across.
In TIBH he does the Norfolk accent for Kea really well. At first I thought it was west country sounding, (I'm Irish so I wouldn't immediately tell the difference) but then I checked out the differences between west country and east anglia and he nails it.

I had read the first three books on paperback before i started listening to the audiobooks for Lethal White. I'm actually going back now and listening to the first three on audiobook.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Love my audiobooks usually fall asleep listening to them.
---
How did they do the in-game chats on the IBH audiobook?
The audio tells you that it has entered the chat room and then when they left I got fed up with it but must have been annoying reading it all in out in out, although well paid for it only had one listen so far went back to the start hopefully better on second listen.

Last edited: