J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s just kicked off on twitter
What’s it saying? I went on there to look but got sidetracked by Keir Starmer trending as he is apparently resigning and now it won’t load for me again!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
What’s the Twitter reaction, anyone know? Is Eddie Iszard receiving death threats? (I jest, of course not..)
Reactions seem mixed. No death threats funnily enough :unsure:

Some are welcoming his comments as sensible. Others are dissapointed after the news the other week. The transactivists seem upset by this apparent betrayal because, you know, the usual, JKR is harmful/dangerous etc etc

I saw one comment (quite serious and not a joke) suggesting EI only agreed with JKR because JKR has "sued just about every Brit whos called her transphobic" and even though EI is well-to-do, JKR is a billionaire. :rolleyes: 😂

Eddie Izzard is an interesting one because he's always been fluid with his presentation/gender/dress etc. The news the other week that he wanted to go by she/her pronouns was taken by the transactivists as a sign that Eddie was a transwoman, a champion of trans rights, part of the sisterhood etc etc. And yet in his interview today he states he prefers to "be called Eddie, that covers everything" and doesn't mind he/him or she/her. I don't think Eddie Izzard stands on either "side" of the debate. He's just there, doing what he's always done and interjecting now and then.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I wonder does Eddie regret saying anything. I'd say he commented without realising that he would be seized upon as a trans person

Reactions: 8
I wonder does Eddie regret saying anything. I'd say he commented without realising that he would be seized upon as a trans person
Regret saying anything in the first place or regret these recent comments about JKR?

KS is trending on Twitter because apparently he’s going to resign as leader of the Labour Party but I’m not following it so just saw his name and a whole load of tweets about it. No idea if it’s true or where it started

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I don't watch this programme so I don't really care who they have to replace Saira. A gay woman would probably be a good idea but this comment caught my eye:

'No, no, non no NO !! The best estimate at the moment is that around ONE PER CENT per cent of the UK population might identify as trans, including people who identify as non-binary. That in no way unless you are an air-head loon like Saira Khan and similar other luny cebs that dare to tell us what is right - is 'reflective' of our society. ONE PERCENT which is now taught to children as being the norm, more and more of our news, TV and films is pushed as being normal and women now have to accept that men who simply put on women's clothing can go into their toilets. This madness being imposed upon by the 1% must be stopped'

I know it's the Mail but at least it shows that some people are concerned. But nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that it's another blow to the employment of women. Once again a woman could lose a job or position that has surreptitiously been taken by a man.

Reactions: 23
I'm still scratching my head over an all female " Boy Scout Troop. "

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Longtime lurker and fence sitter here. Firstly - and I'm not saying this to stir up an argument - I believe trans women are women (and trans men are men etc). And I want equal rights for trans people. I'm fine with shared spaces, I think. But I'm really struggling to get my head around the constant tellings off for using the word "woman" when talking about... women's things. Birth, pregnancy. I believe men can be pregnant, in the case of trans men. So I'm pretty pro trans rights, but even I'm being told that I'm not pro trans rights enough.

I got told that "breastfeeding" should be referred to as breast/chestfeeding. I work in the pregnancy and breastfeeding world and I know how little support there is already. I don't know how to word this properly, but I feel like not calling it breastfeeding does a disservice to women. And breasts are female AND male. Men can get breast cancer.

I don't know how to articulate myself well on this (was up most of last night feeding my twins) but being told to use "they" instead of he or she really annoys me too. I'll call a trans woman "she" and a trans man "he" each and every time. I have no issue with that and never will. But things like the photos I'll add below are starting to really grate. They're from a dungaree group that I was in (and have now left). Someone posted referring to the model in the photo, who is clearly a woman as "she", and they got told to change the post to say "they". I've added the edit history of the post. I would personally be offended if I was referred to as "they". Women are still very much a marginalised group. I don't know what I'm getting at really. Just thinking out loud.

View attachment 355308View attachment 355309View attachment 355310
I think the thing is, you will never bend the knee enough to satisfy them.
If you work in pregnancy and breastfeeding support you know that even though trans men can get pregnant that 99% of your audience are women. So using female centric language is not ‘non inclusive’ it’s actually critical for delivering clear messaging to a clear audience.

Reactions: 22
Also: regarding trans men, in order to get a GRC isn't part of that they will live as a male? So if they get pregnant they're not actually living as a male and therefore can't object to the use of the word woman or breastfeeding.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Also: regarding trans men, in order to get a GRC isn't part of that they will live as a male? So if they get pregnant they're not actually living as a male and therefore can't object to the use of the word woman or breastfeeding.
Something that was brought up with Freddie McConnell. Swore to live as a man, even in front of a panel of “judges” who granted it and got pregnant a few months later having already stopped taking testosterone in order to get pregnant. And then decided to film a documentary about it and gave countless interviews, so it’s not as though they were hiding away and it could be argued that Freddie gave birth in secret without anyone knowing - in fact, there was a whole court case surrounding the documentary itself, wasn’t there? The certificate should have been revoked really, but even so it just goes to show how pointless they actually are.

Reactions: 13
Something that was brought up with Freddie McConnell. Swore to live as a man, even in front of a panel of “judges” who granted it and got pregnant a few months later having already stopped taking testosterone in order to get pregnant. And then decided to film a documentary about it and gave countless interviews, so it’s not as though they were hiding away and it could be argued that Freddie gave birth in secret without anyone knowing - in fact, there was a whole court case surrounding the documentary itself, wasn’t there? The certificate should have been revoked really, but even so it just goes to show how pointless they actually are.
Freddie is plainly mentally unstable in my humble opinion. I’m actually quite surprised there haven’t been care proceedings for that child or at the least some kind of social worker involvement. Imagine how Freddie will respond if that poor child grows up straight and ~ cisgender ~

Reactions: 13
Freddie is plainly mentally unstable in my humble opinion. I’m actually quite surprised there haven’t been care proceedings for that child or at the least some kind of social worker involvement. Imagine how Freddie will respond if that poor child grows up straight and ~ cisgender ~
It’s a small mercy Freddie had a boy and not a girl.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.