IVF and Fertility Treatments

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, have just discovered this thread and am so grateful to you all.

My hubby suffered a life changing injury in 2020 and is now paralysed which means we are unable to conceive naturally as he can no longer ejaculate - so all sorts of emotions!

We were due to start IVF in Jan 2022 but I actually paused it as just emotionally didn't feel ready with everything else going on. We've now just started this month - I started my Gonal F injections on Sunday and added Fyremadel today - first progress scan is this Friday, eek!

Feeling all sorts of things but am trying not to overthink it (easier said than done!).

Anyway, that's me - and just wanted to send you all big hugs and thank you for sharing - it defo helps me feel like I'm not alone on this (it's such an odd journey to be on when no-one close to you is!?) xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all, update from our first appointment. She went over all our results and I expressed that GP receptionist said my bloods were 'satisfactory' she explained that all my bloods were normal and indicate i do ovulate so were good there, my husband first semen analysis was less than 1% then it did go up a little to over 1% on his second, so that's some sort of positive. She did confirm that we would need IVF but we have to get our BMI's to below 30 first before we can start the process... We are rebooked in for 6 months time and the meantime I will have an ultrasound and thyroid test.

Don't really know how to feel if I'm honest, never thought 2 years ago I would be saying we needed IVF

It's a hard pill to swallow. I always feared infertility cos having a family was always my big dream. Then when we had our struggles conceiving naturally, I tried to find the positives of IVF. I thought ah well at least IVF will bring us our baby. And so far I've still had no joy after numerous cycles and transfers.

It's hard to accept the unknown but important to keep the faith, and accept support when you get it. Support has been so important and helpful to me.
---
Hi all, have just discovered this thread and am so grateful to you all.

My hubby suffered a life changing injury in 2020 and is now paralysed which means we are unable to conceive naturally as he can no longer ejaculate - so all sorts of emotions!

We were due to start IVF in Jan 2022 but I actually paused it as just emotionally didn't feel ready with everything else going on. We've now just started this month - I started my Gonal F injections on Sunday and added Fyremadel today - first progress scan is this Friday, eek!

Feeling all sorts of things but am trying not to overthink it (easier said than done!).

Anyway, that's me - and just wanted to send you all big hugs and thank you for sharing - it defo helps me feel like I'm not alone on this (it's such an odd journey to be on when no-one close to you is!?) xx
So sorry to hear of your husband's injury. That's alot to take on, never mind IVF then on top of it.
Never feel alone ! There's loads of support out there. And here for those wanting to keep anon too. There's a great Facebook group IVF/ICSI/IUI/ fertility support northern Ireland/Ireland.
It's so hard when friends and family don't understand, even those who know about your journey but don't understand the emotions that come with it x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had my ovulation blood test at the end of Jan and was told my numbers were in the 60s which apparently anything over 30 or 35 is fine.
I am waiting on a Hycosy test to come through.
close family member announced her pregnancy yesterday. Which was rough. I feel like everywhere Ilook there’s pregnant people

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I had my ovulation blood test at the end of Jan and was told my numbers were in the 60s which apparently anything over 30 or 35 is fine.
I am waiting on a Hycosy test to come through.
close family member announced her pregnancy yesterday. Which was rough. I feel like everywhere Ilook there’s pregnant people
I found that, all my friends had announcements close together. Then their second and third kids came. I found comfort in having met friends through infertility groups, which helped as they understood and were in the same position. Now they've actually all got their miracles and I'm the last of that group of friends now too 🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It's a hard pill to swallow. I always feared infertility cos having a family was always my big dream. Then when we had our struggles conceiving naturally, I tried to find the positives of IVF. I thought ah well at least IVF will bring us our baby. And so far I've still had no joy after numerous cycles and transfers.

It's hard to accept the unknown but important to keep the faith, and accept support when you get it. Support has been so important and helpful to me.
---

So sorry to hear of your husband's injury. That's alot to take on, never mind IVF then on top of it.
Never feel alone ! There's loads of support out there. And here for those wanting to keep anon too. There's a great Facebook group IVF/ICSI/IUI/ fertility support northern Ireland/Ireland.
It's so hard when friends and family don't understand, even those who know about your journey but don't understand the emotions that come with it x
Thank you so much and so sorry for your struggles - but you're so right, keep the faith and accept support when we can xx sending you a massive hug

Does anyone go through stages of just not feeling totally present in day to day life? This whole process is just so thought consuming 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Does anyone go through stages of just not feeling totally present in day to day life? This whole process is just so thought consuming 😞
I'm definitely feeling this today, Greenfly. I was running around all of yesterday doing medical admin for our fertility journey (not made easier by the clinic or my GP) and it's still ongoing today, and it's making me completely unfocused on my job and what I should be doing in life. I bought three separate lunches yesterday because I genuinely kept forgetting about the fact I had already bought the others because my brain space is entirely taken up with things I'm meant to be doing for the clinic.

It's an awful side of it all, and so frustrating that as much as I love my wife, she gets off with not really having to think about any of it because it isn't her undergoing the treatments.

• Heart
100% and I always have this overwhelming feeling that I can't just enjoy anything, i feel like people are wondering why we haven't had another child yet but they haven't asked cos they know there is obviously some issue and don't want to ask or the ones that do say something just say it the wrong way like time for another one and it's just like this black cloud hanging over me, period due yesterday so just really feeling it today

100% I feel this - I'm so distracted at the moment.

How are you all getting on? Was thinking of you all on Sunday as I found social media so overwhelming and had to come off it for the day!

Final scan for me tomorrow and last dose of Gonal-F tomorrow - my day surgery is booked for collection on Friday and I'm bricking it! I'm also in a weird negative headspace which is not great - I just keep thinking it's not going to work 😣

100% I feel this - I'm so distracted at the moment.

How are you all getting on? Was thinking of you all on Sunday as I found social media so overwhelming and had to come off it for the day!

Final scan for me tomorrow and last dose of Gonal-F tomorrow - my day surgery is booked for collection on Friday and I'm bricking it! I'm also in a weird negative headspace which is not great - I just keep thinking it's not going to work 😣
Oh best of luck for Friday, is it your egg retrieval? Not sure if I came on to say it cos I was just so upset at the time but after we got 14 eggs, 8 fertilised but by day 3 they had all stopped growing, it was devastating, timewise it pushes it back again, the thought of having to go through egg retrieval again, the injections the scans, the only thing that got me through the last time was like well in a few weeks they will be putting an embryo in me

I honestly don't know how I am going to get through that again if there is a possibility of no embryos again which there is cos our clinic is like that's really unusual that none of them developed past day 3, they think it is an egg issue, there is no tests they can do. I don't know if any of ye follow the fertility detective on insta but she has a Q&A each week and i asked her and she said 100% that is down to a sperm factor, cos my husband has poor semen dna frag results, she gave me an article to read on it and now I'm like I wonder would it be appropriate to send it to the clinic? But even if I do sure what can they do, we have decided to give up alcohol for 6 months, not that I drink much anyway, 3 drinks once a month max but I am supporting my husband doing it :D I've had two pregnancy announcements in the last week, one of them I had only got the thank you card from her wedding in the post the day before so that will show you how long they were trying and it is a real kick in the gut and I am just sick of it

We have spent thousands and nothing to show, we are even more clueless than ever, I feel so down about it, I cry almost every day over it but there is still nothing I can do, no support in Ireland for anyone going through this, just private clinics who are more than willing to take your money and then shrug their shoulders when it doesn't work

• Heart
Hi all. Deep breath. I’m mid 30s and on my first round of IVF. Started spotting tonight so ringing the clinic tomorrow if period properly comes. Have been hoping it would start but absolutely broke down when it did. Just feel so incredibly scared!

• Heart
Hi all. Deep breath. I’m mid 30s and on my first round of IVF. Started spotting tonight so ringing the clinic tomorrow if period properly comes. Have been hoping it would start but absolutely broke down when it did. Just feel so incredibly scared!
Is this spotting to start your period to get your cycle started ? Or have you completed the cycle and done a transfer? X

Is this spotting to start your period to get your cycle started ? Or have you completed the cycle and done a transfer? X

It's to get the cycle started! Sorry, didn't make myself clear. It's still not red 18 hours later, so frustrating.... I feel I'm so tense it just won't come!

It's to get the cycle started! Sorry, didn't make myself clear. It's still not red 18 hours later, so frustrating.... I feel I'm so tense it just won't come!

I found it hard to accept at the start that I actually needed IVF. A family was always my plan all my life, always thought it was just a cert. Then when it came to starting my first cycle, I found it hard to accept. It's cliché but such a rollercoaster of emotions. One of the hardest parts of the process is feeling lonely like everyone else's life moves on but yours. But support is so important. Speaking to people in the same situation, who understands the emotions and frustrations is so important. Have you rang the clinic ? One of my cycles I didn't have much of a bleed at all but they still classed it as my day 1. Sending you loads of love xx

Thanks so much! I did ring this morning but they said until it was red and fresh it wasn’t day one. But I’ll ring again tomorrow. I’m just scared it won’t start, that the timings will be terrible, of OHSS and other side effects, and then of course it not working.

I know what you mean re finding it hard to accept. I’ve always known I’d be having IVF but suddenly I just feel really sad about needing it.

Oh best of luck for Friday, is it your egg retrieval? Not sure if I came on to say it cos I was just so upset at the time but after we got 14 eggs, 8 fertilised but by day 3 they had all stopped growing, it was devastating, timewise it pushes it back again, the thought of having to go through egg retrieval again, the injections the scans, the only thing that got me through the last time was like well in a few weeks they will be putting an embryo in me

I honestly don't know how I am going to get through that again if there is a possibility of no embryos again which there is cos our clinic is like that's really unusual that none of them developed past day 3, they think it is an egg issue, there is no tests they can do. I don't know if any of ye follow the fertility detective on insta but she has a Q&A each week and i asked her and she said 100% that is down to a sperm factor, cos my husband has poor semen dna frag results, she gave me an article to read on it and now I'm like I wonder would it be appropriate to send it to the clinic? But even if I do sure what can they do, we have decided to give up alcohol for 6 months, not that I drink much anyway, 3 drinks once a month max but I am supporting my husband doing it :D I've had two pregnancy announcements in the last week, one of them I had only got the thank you card from her wedding in the post the day before so that will show you how long they were trying and it is a real kick in the gut and I am just sick of it

We have spent thousands and nothing to show, we are even more clueless than ever, I feel so down about it, I cry almost every day over it but there is still nothing I can do, no support in Ireland for anyone going through this, just private clinics who are more than willing to take your money and then shrug their shoulders when it doesn't work
Hey lovely xx aw thank you so much - sorry for the late reply to you. Yes, eggs collected last week and had my transfer yesterday - so now I'm just waiting! Trying to stay calm and as 'normal' as possible - however possible that is. What was so nice was that I was with 3 other women on Friday and we were all v supportive and chatty with each other so we all now feel very invested in each other!

Oh love I'm so sorry to hear this - sounds like such a rough time for you. Did you send the article to the clinic? Maybe worth seeing if you can get it investigated a little further?

Sending you a massive massive hug, I'm sorry you feel so alone - you're never alone, we're all here and I'm sending you all love and strength xxxx
---
Thanks so much! I did ring this morning but they said until it was red and fresh it wasn’t day one. But I’ll ring again tomorrow. I’m just scared it won’t start, that the timings will be terrible, of OHSS and other side effects, and then of course it not working.

I know what you mean re finding it hard to accept. I’ve always known I’d be having IVF but suddenly I just feel really sad about needing it.
Best of luck! Mine was a bit of spotting and then I came on the day after - so might be the same for you! Sending you tons of love and luck xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi all, I’m now on day 4 of stims. Starting to feel a bit weepy, definitely bloated, sore breasts. Sometimes my sides and ovary area feels like I’ve pulled muscles there. Don’t know what to make of it. How’s everyone doing?
I am on 150 Meriofert and adding Fyramadel tomorrow.

I’m having a Hycosy transvaginal fallopian scan tomorrow. Heard they’re painful and uncomfortable. Just wondered if anyone else had had one before at the start of fertility investigations/treatment and could tell me what to expect/any tips or advice ?

I’m having a Hycosy transvaginal fallopian scan tomorrow. Heard they’re painful and uncomfortable. Just wondered if anyone else had had one before at the start of fertility investigations/treatment and could tell me what to expect/any tips or advice ?
I know some people have found it painful but mine was absolutely fine. Little bit uncomfortable when the tube first goes in but didn’t feel anything after that. I felt a bit sicky after but soon passed. I think it can be painful if there’s any blockages, hopefully you don’t. Good luck x