IVF and Fertility Treatments

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all warriors (if you're struggling with infertility you're a warrior!).

An insight on my story.
TTC for 7 years got brushed with the same old paintbrush "pcos symptoms will go away if you lose weight"....I was even under clinical trial in UK (bambini trial) I lost weight under the trial but did it make my symptoms go away? Like f**k did it! Gynaecology/fertility won't even touch you for 1st 2 years of ttc. Even when I was reffered to fertility I waited a year for my 1st appointment. Partner was tested and has low count. Booked 2nd appointment got cancelled 3 times in 1 year then opted for IVF abroad. Appointment was ready April 2020....COVID LOCKDOWN!

Fast forward April 2022 had HSG blood tests etc ready for IVF in May. Everything looked good (apart from 1 blocked fallopian tube). I arrived for treatment May had USS and found a polyps the size of golf ball (this is what was blocking my tube) so I had polypectomy and had to waited for next cycle to transfer embryos (retrived/fertilised 12 eggs and 7 made it to day 5 embryo). Transfered 2 embryos. 1 split to twins so ended up with triplets!....unfortunately miscarried. Had tests on endometrial lining etc and have very abnormal endometrial function (95 percentile) which means I'm prone to miscarriages & need steroid treatment for FET. I have also been diagnosed with estrogen dominance endometrial hyperplasia (atypical cells). On high dose of steroid treatment & progesterone to suppress estrogen. Got 2nd endometrial ablation in and biopsy in March to check progress. If all clear then FET in May. If not then low dose chemo treatment or hysterectomy.

Throughout all this I felt like my Gynaecologist in the UK failed me for always brushing me off. Every appointment I had with Gynaecologist they didn't even examine me or ultrasound it was simply check height and weight then tell me I'm too fat lose weight. I lost weight got BMI to below 30 then they said get it to 25. So was always pushed away for my weight when my sister in law is size 22 had IVF and it worked for her.

That's my story. Please tell me yours 🥰🥰
Hey! Thank you for sharing your story 🥰 I just wondered what tests you had that highlighted issues with endometrium and estrogen? I’ve had 3 miscarriages, all standard NHS tests came back normal so I’m stumped. Think I need to look at further investigation!

Reactions: 1
I started the treatment! I'm so proud of myself for

Excitingly I got to start my treatment! They can only see 3 follicles one on ovary so that was disappointing, but as they say; you only need one good egg!

I took my first dose of Gonal F when I got home on Saturday (I was terrified at first but my partner was away so I didn't really have any option that just to stab it in myself) and now feel like an expert at injecting my stomach with the FSH at an ungodly hour every morning.

I start antagonist injections on Wednesday which look a bit more of a faff and
The needles look HUGE compared to the pre-filled pen so I'm terrified about those
the next scan is on Saturday to check the follicles are growing OK so keeping fingers crossed.

Are you still on for Wednesday for your Egg Retrieval? Are you feeling OK about it?
Yes I am so sick of injections morning and evening as well as having to get bloods done every time I visit! My husbands nearly faints at the sight of a needle so thankfully I'm not afraid of them, dunno how anyone who has a fear of needles gets through it. What antagonist injections are you on? I've found the Cetrotide a bit stingy so I numb the area now with an ice cube, really helps

Yes egg retrieval Wednesday but they said to me today it might not be a fresh transfer now, that I have a lot of follicles and am at risk of OHSS, I think I will find out Wednesday. Anyone had OHSS before? how long did you wait to do the transfer then?

On the one hand I am like that's ok cos I was only reading the over day that a frozen transfer is now considered better cos of all the meds you are after being on when doing egg retrieval

On the other hand I am majorly disappointed cos if transfer happened now I'd be due in November, we actually booked to go away for a few days in March as something to look forward to if it didn't work out which means transfer might have to wait until April so no baby in 2023 which is hard, and our daughter will be 7 in Jan, seems like such a huge gap, I hate how long everything takes
And I'm dreading having to go through another few weeks of injections and scans so soon
Felt very sorry for myself when I came home and went to bed for a few hours

Yes I am so sick of injections morning and evening as well as having to get bloods done every time I visit! My husbands nearly faints at the sight of a needle so thankfully I'm not afraid of them, dunno how anyone who has a fear of needles gets through it. What antagonist injections are you on? I've found the Cetrotide a bit stingy so I numb the area now with an ice cube, really helps

Yes egg retrieval Wednesday but they said to me today it might not be a fresh transfer now, that I have a lot of follicles and am at risk of OHSS, I think I will find out Wednesday. Anyone had OHSS before? how long did you wait to do the transfer then?

On the one hand I am like that's ok cos I was only reading the over day that a frozen transfer is now considered better cos of all the meds you are after being on when doing egg retrieval

On the other hand I am majorly disappointed cos if transfer happened now I'd be due in November, we actually booked to go away for a few days in March as something to look forward to if it didn't work out which means transfer might have to wait until April so no baby in 2023 which is hard, and our daughter will be 7 in Jan, seems like such a huge gap, I hate how long everything takes
And I'm dreading having to go through another few weeks of injections and scans so soon
Yes I'll be doing Cetrotide from tomorrow, I'm shitting myself but watched few videos and I'm sure I'll be able to manage it.

So sorry to hear that you're disappointed, it's such a draining process. I can't say anything to make you feel better but I'm sending lots of love your way! Are you feeling any better this morning?

• Heart

I had OHSS so I couldn’t do a fresh transfer, which I’d planned for in October 2022. I had to go back for bloods for monitoring and once my levels came down the clinic said that I could do my FET on my next proper cycle (so breakthrough bleed after egg collection, then my next proper period after that). It didn’t really work for me timing wise as my period didn’t arrive until the end of November and I was worried about being impacted by the clinic closing over Christmas so we postponed to January. My clinic also told me that FET success rates are slightly higher as it gives your body a chance to recover after stims, and I was lucky and it did work for us so hopefully you’ll be the same!

I’m not sure if your clinic will be the same, but I’ve had no injections for my FET. Just oestrogen tablets and progesterone pessaries, which is much easier.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had OHSS so I couldn’t do a fresh transfer, which I’d planned for in October 2022. I had to go back for bloods for monitoring and once my levels came down the clinic said that I could do my FET on my next proper cycle (so breakthrough bleed after egg collection, then my next proper period after that). It didn’t really work for me timing wise as my period didn’t arrive until the end of November and I was worried about being impacted by the clinic closing over Christmas so we postponed to January. My clinic also told me that FET success rates are slightly higher as it gives your body a chance to recover after stims, and I was lucky and it did work for us so hopefully you’ll be the same!

I’m not sure if your clinic will be the same, but I’ve had no injections for my FET. Just oestrogen tablets and progesterone pessaries, which is much easier.
Oh amazing, thanks. I'll ask them tomorrow if I would have to take all the injections or if it would just be tablets etc
Delighted for you that it worked, must be such a joyous feeling after going through so much to get there!

• Heart
I posted here last week asking for advice on what happens at a first appointment etc and wanted to update.

I'm absolutely devasted. I went for the first appointment, had an internal scan and they found fluid around my right overy. They didn't give me any answers or reasons as to why other than a possible infection, blood collection, but basically said they didn't know why or where it was coming from.

Has anybody experience this before? I am past myself with worry.

I have no symptoms at all.

X

• Heart

How did Egg retrieval go? are you feeling OK?

How did Egg retrieval go? are you feeling OK?
Egg retrieval went ok we think, I was so nervous before it was horrible, they couldn't get the canula into one of my arms so had to do the other and youre like lying there feeling very exposed with not a clue whats going on, I just started shedding tears but then next thing i woke up and was back in bed, didn't remember anything and i was like oh I'd do that again :D bit of pain afterwards yesterday but feeling fine now

The doctor didnt have a great bedside manner, I know for them they do egg retrieval everyday but for us patients its a big deal! She made some comment after which I think was about not all my follicles had eggs or something so she was like 'there could be an issue there with your eggs', I honestly have no idea what she was talking about but I think they got about 15 eggs, waiting on a call from them today, they rang yesterday afternoon but I was asleep and missed it

It definitely will be a frozen transfer and she said to wait for one full cycle to pass before doing a transfer so 2 months from now, seems so far away but yeah shouldn't have to do injections for a frozen transfer which is good to know

How is everyone else doing?

At @angrysue did they say what the next steps are?
---
Yes I'll be doing Cetrotide from tomorrow, I'm shitting myself but watched few videos and I'm sure I'll be able to manage it.

So sorry to hear that you're disappointed, it's such a draining process. I can't say anything to make you feel better but I'm sending lots of love your way! Are you feeling any better this morning?
Also I felt better Tuesday morning until I was in work and my husband text me, friends of ours had called over and announced they are due their second baby so had to feign excitement for them when I got home...

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Egg retrieval went ok we think, I was so nervous before it was horrible, they couldn't get the canula into one of my arms so had to do the other and youre like lying there feeling very exposed with not a clue whats going on, I just started shedding tears but then next thing i woke up and was back in bed, didn't remember anything and i was like oh I'd do that again :D bit of pain afterwards yesterday but feeling fine now

The doctor didnt have a great bedside manner, I know for them they do egg retrieval everyday but for us patients its a big deal! She made some comment after which I think was about not all my follicles had eggs or something so she was like 'there could be an issue there with your eggs', I honestly have no idea what she was talking about but I think they got about 15 eggs, waiting on a call from them today, they rang yesterday afternoon but I was asleep and missed it

It definitely will be a frozen transfer and she said to wait for one full cycle to pass before doing a transfer so 2 months from now, seems so far away but yeah shouldn't have to do injections for a frozen transfer which is good to know

How is everyone else doing?

At @angrysue did they say what the next steps are?
---

Also I felt better Tuesday morning until I was in work and my husband text me, friends of ours had called over and announced they are due their second baby so had to feign excitement for them when I got home...
They were not very clear at all, in fact they have absolutely terrified me. The nurse practicly ran out of the room to speak to a doctor. They have said I will get anppointment for some dye to be inserted to see if tubes are blocked and then something about key hole surgery to check what is going but that is a 6 month waiting list.

I just can't get my head around it. I've sent away to walk about with this " fluid " in me that nobody knows why it is there.
I even asked what if I go to my GP and explain this can they do something quicker and they said no. I am so confused, I've cried since we left the Hospital not stop. I just don't know what to do or what is going on 😩😪

• Heart
They were not very clear at all, in fact they have absolutely terrified me. The nurse practicly ran out of the room to speak to a doctor. They have said I will get anppointment for some dye to be inserted to see if tubes are blocked and then something about key hole surgery to check what is going but that is a 6 month waiting list.

I just can't get my head around it. I've sent away to walk about with this " fluid " in me that nobody knows why it is there.
I even asked what if I go to my GP and explain this can they do something quicker and they said no. I am so confused, I've cried since we left the Hospital not stop. I just don't know what to do or what is going on 😩😪
Oh that's awful, are you going to a public or a private clinic? I had a hycosy before, where they do the dye check, there tends to be instant answers at that, hopefully you won't have to wait long for it

Oh that's awful, are you going to a public or a private clinic? I had a hycosy before, where they do the dye check, there tends to be instant answers at that, hopefully you won't have to wait long for it
We are going to the Centre for Life in Newcastle. We still have to pay,.not sure if that is public or private.
Thank you, how was the hycosy procedure?

We are going to the Centre for Life in Newcastle. We still have to pay,.not sure if that is public or private.
Thank you, how was the hycosy procedure?
It's not too bad, a little cramping after, have the pads and pain at the ready! Uncomfortable during it but not unbearable and doc was able to say straight away during it that the tubes weren't blocked etc
If you are paying and aren't happy, always worth going elsewhere for a second opinion or more info x

• Heart
@Angrysue_ does it mean a cyst? That’s all I can see when I google fluid on ovary as I’d never heard of that before myself. If it is they’re quite common-my friend had to have one removed before she could start treatment. If it was something more troubling I would think they would get a hurry on with treating it sooner than 6 months?

Attachments

It's not too bad, a little cramping after, have the pads and pain at the ready! Uncomfortable during it but not unbearable and doc was able to say straight away during it that the tubes weren't blocked etc
If you are paying and aren't happy, always worth going elsewhere for a second opinion or more info x
Thank you for this, I'm dreading the whole thing, but desperate for answers. I'm absolutely terrified they'll tell me I can't have Children 😪
---
@Angrysue_ does it mean a cyst? That’s all I can see when I google fluid on ovary as I’d never heard of that before myself. If it is they’re quite common-my friend had to have one removed before she could start treatment. If it was something more troubling I would think they would get a hurry on with treating it sooner than 6 months?
This is what I thought, surely you can't just leave me for 6 months like this and that must mean it isn't that bad.
I'm not sure, they didn't mention a cyst, I had a smear like 4 weeks ago so just assumed everything was ok. Guessing smears don't pick everything up.

They mentioned Endometriosis but I have no symptoms at all.

Thank you for this, I'm dreading the whole thing, but desperate for answers. I'm absolutely terrified they'll tell me I can't have Children 😪
---

This is what I thought, surely you can't just leave me for 6 months like this and that must mean it isn't that bad.
I'm not sure, they didn't mention a cyst, I had a smear like 4 weeks ago so just assumed everything was ok. Guessing smears don't pick everything up.

They mentioned Endometriosis but I have no symptoms at all.
Smears only check the cells in your cervix, the ovaries and tubes are much higher so the smear wouldn't pick anything up other than cells on your cervix. HSG is relatively pain free for most people (not for me, but i think I'm an exception...and a wimp when it comes to pain!) I have an Endo cyst on one of my ovaries but was still able to start treatment, no symptoms for me either. We all get cysts that come and go each cycle, and I believe it only becomes an issue if it is hormone driven or becomes more than 6 cms? It might be worth calling the clinic to arrange an appointment to discuss your results further.

I was feeling the same as you when I first started the process, it's all the unknowns, but you'll get more answers before you know it. The waiting seems like forever them BOOM! you're overloaded with information. Each test and step of the process has brough us different news, some expected, some not so expected, it's a total mind duck but try not to stress; easier said than done i know!

I used to be terrified that I'd be told I'd never have my own children too, but it if provides any comfort to you; I've found that as we're going through the process I'm becoming more open minded to other options, such as egg donation or adoption if IVF doesn't work for us. Although I'm praying it does!

So the clinic called, they got 14 eggs! Not all were mature but 8 fertilised and they are gonna ring on Saturday with a day 3 update. From googling I think it's normal you end up with half by day 3 and half of them again by day 5/6 so if we have two to be frozen come Monday that would be great although if you had asked me last week I would have been expecting like 6 :LOL: honestly we were only talking last week like what will we do if we have too many, oh we are so naïve

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Smears only check the cells in your cervix, the ovaries and tubes are much higher so the smear wouldn't pick anything up other than cells on your cervix. HSG is relatively pain free for most people (not for me, but i think I'm an exception...and a wimp when it comes to pain!) I have an Endo cyst on one of my ovaries but was still able to start treatment, no symptoms for me either. We all get cysts that come and go each cycle, and I believe it only becomes an issue if it is hormone driven or becomes more than 6 cms? It might be worth calling the clinic to arrange an appointment to discuss your results further.

I was feeling the same as you when I first started the process, it's all the unknowns, but you'll get more answers before you know it. The waiting seems like forever them BOOM! you're overloaded with information. Each test and step of the process has brough us different news, some expected, some not so expected, it's a total mind duck but try not to stress; easier said than done i know!

I used to be terrified that I'd be told I'd never have my own children too, but it if provides any comfort to you; I've found that as we're going through the process I'm becoming more open minded to other options, such as egg donation or adoption if IVF doesn't work for us. Although I'm praying it does!
I really appreciate you responding with all of this information. And I can relate to a lot of it. I am already starting to open my mind about what I may have to choose and what other options there are for me.

They explained it just as fluid and said we do have fluid there at certains points of our cycle etc but this was a larger amount that they would expect at any time if the cycle. Whilst doing the internal it was slightly uncomfortable on the right side where the fluid is however I didn't think it was anymore uncomfortable then getting something put up there that isn't normally 🤣 I have to say the reaction of the Nurse and Doctor was all a bit intense and I holding onto hope that they may have over reacted.
They just kept saying it could be an infection or blood, but they just didn't know.

I left the appointment feeling like my world had been turned upside down and I still just don't feel like I know what is happening.

• Heart
So the clinic called, they got 14 eggs! Not all were mature but 8 fertilised and they are gonna ring on Saturday with a day 3 update. From googling I think it's normal you end up with half by day 3 and half of them again by day 5/6 so if we have two to be frozen come Monday that would be great although if you had asked me last week I would have been expecting like 6 :LOL: honestly we were only talking last week like what will we do if we have too many, oh we are so naïve
8 fertilised is fantastic! Well done 😂 We only had 7 fertilised and we ended up with 3 Frosties so I’ll keep everything crossed for yours x

• Heart
Hey! Thank you for sharing your story 🥰 I just wondered what tests you had that highlighted issues with endometrium and estrogen? I’ve had 3 miscarriages, all standard NHS tests came back normal so I’m stumped. Think I need to look at further investigation!
Hello and thank you for reading my story. Im sorry for your losses 😔😔

I had an endometrium function test done at coventry implantation clinic. Its self funded (£540) but they gave me my results and gave me a protocol to follow should i wish to go for fertility treatment again. Heres the link to where i booked mine

I hope this helps. All instructions is on there xx

• Heart