IVF and Fertility Treatments

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My Clearblue Ovvy Tests - I have been 'high for past 5 days - no peak yet' is that normal?

My Clearblue Ovvy Tests - I have been 'high for past 5 days - no peak yet' is that normal?
Can be but I had a nightmare with them testing for my frozen transfer and don’t trust them anymore. My clinic told me to stick with the strips.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I read a few days ago that they aren’t very good if you have PCOS, and temping is a better way to see if you’re ovulating

Hey, I booked me and my husband in for testing with create. I’ve got pcos and we’ve been ttc for 4 years. I had my scan this week and everything is fine, I’ve got a consultation coming up but my husband’s sperm analysis isn’t for another few weeks after this. I asked are the treatments not dependant on his results too and they just dismissed it. My husband had a test a few years ago and it came back as below average. Obviously I won’t know until the consultation but at the scan he says I can probably just have medication to help ovulation, but if in a few weeks my husband tests shows we need further then the treatment plan would change.

I’m new to all this but it seems a bit strange to me that they would come up with a plan without even testing him first? I understand they can just update the plan but it seems a bit backwards to me!

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this as a couple of people I’ve spoke to who went elsewhere said they were both tested before they got given any result/treatment plan!

Hey, I booked me and my husband in for testing with create. I’ve got pcos and we’ve been ttc for 4 years. I had my scan this week and everything is fine, I’ve got a consultation coming up but my husband’s sperm analysis isn’t for another few weeks after this. I asked are the treatments not dependant on his results too and they just dismissed it. My husband had a test a few years ago and it came back as below average. Obviously I won’t know until the consultation but at the scan he says I can probably just have medication to help ovulation, but if in a few weeks my husband tests shows we need further then the treatment plan would change.

I’m new to all this but it seems a bit strange to me that they would come up with a plan without even testing him first? I understand they can just update the plan but it seems a bit backwards to me!

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this as a couple of people I’ve spoke to who went elsewhere said they were both tested before they got given any result/treatment plan!
Hi, I'm new to the process and have just booked in for a couples fertility check. The places I researched do all the tests first, including semen analysis, and then you speak to the doctor about the results. It therefore does seem strange to me too. Hopefully someone else who has actually been through the process will provide better insight.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

I’ve had about four fertility treatments and that is a red flag for me. Your husband might have a low count, poor motility or poor morphology and IUI might be a waste of time and you might need ICSI. Obvs if the issue is PCOS related it would be cheaper but tbh if it’s not going to be long until the results then I would wait

Reactions: 3
Definitely strange to have a consultation before any testing for both unless it’s like a mini consultation but obviously not since you’ve had a scan yourself. I’d query it and make sure they’re not then going to ask you to pay for another consultation when hubbys results are back and ask to reschedule if so.

Reactions: 2
Thanks for all your responses, I’m glad others think it’s odd. I did try to query it when I realised but I was just dismissed!

We just wanted some answers and a rough idea of what treatment/prices we would be looking at tbh so we chose here purely for the price as they had free semen analysis with a scan so it was quite cheap. But I wish I paid extra for the clinic I was originally looking at now! We weren’t planning on having treatment with this clinic anyway but if we were I wouldn’t now. At my scan they asked if I’d had certain blood tests done in the past 12 months and I said yes and told them the results, they then said they’d need to be redone then and there ready for my consultation. I told them I’d rather wait until after husband’s test and they were being quite pushy so that put me off too!

• Sad
  • Heart
That would definitely be a red flag for me and it seems odd as they wouldn’t have the full picture at the consultation! I used Create but we had our testing done on the NHS before going private for treatment so was a slightly different situation, but they were happy to accept those.

That would definitely be a red flag for me and it seems odd as they wouldn’t have the full picture at the consultation! I used Create but we had our testing done on the NHS before going private for treatment so was a slightly different situation, but they were happy to accept those.
How strange! I did ask if we could move his appointment but they said the next one was a couple of weeks into March!!

I’ve had about four fertility treatments and that is a red flag for me. Your husband might have a low count, poor motility or poor morphology and IUI might be a waste of time and you might need ICSI. Obvs if the issue is PCOS related it would be cheaper but tbh if it’s not going to be long until the results then I would wait
I agree definite red flag. They also should be doing a dns fragmentation test on your husbands sperm to see the full picture. Come clinics can be too quick to blame egg quality when sperm quality is also of huge importance. I wouldn't be progressing with any treatment with out seeing results from both you and your partner. Worth the wait and possibly prevents extra costs or failed cycles.

I agree definite red flag. They also should be doing a dns fragmentation test on your husbands sperm to see the full picture. Come clinics can be too quick to blame egg quality when sperm quality is also of huge importance. I wouldn't be progressing with any treatment with out seeing results from both you and your partner. Worth the wait and possibly prevents extra costs or failed cycles.
Thanks for your reply:) I actually had my consultation this morning and it was quite a hypothetical consultation as it depends on the sperm analysis obviously. The doctor was an hour late, I rung twice whilst waiting and both times got told someone would call me back with an update but they didn’t. We won’t be having anymore tests/treatment with them for sure except the semen analysis as that’s already booked in.

• Heart
Thanks for your reply:) I actually had my consultation this morning and it was quite a hypothetical consultation as it depends on the sperm analysis obviously. The doctor was an hour late, I rung twice whilst waiting and both times got told someone would call me back with an update but they didn’t. We won’t be having anymore tests/treatment with them for sure except the semen analysis as that’s already booked in.
if you can get out of your sperm testing with them based on the service to date then I would
Alternatively just get the results and take them to another clinic
Wouldn’t be paying them

im no medical expert but have got it done a few times so if you need help interpreting a bit and I can help or suggest I will gladly as it angers me that these clinics can prey on us when we are most vunerable

if you can get out of your sperm testing with them based on the service to date then I would
Alternatively just get the results and take them to another clinic
Wouldn’t be paying them

im no medical expert but have got it done a few times so if you need help interpreting a bit and I can help or suggest I will gladly as it angers me that these clinics can prey on us when we are most vunerable
Ahh thank you so much! The sperm test was ‘free’ as an offer when booking my test and the consultation, I should’ve known then not to bother with them! Definitely going to go elsewhere after it though

I know, it’s already a stressful time and they’ve just made it worse!

Sorry you’ve not had a good experience, we didn’t with the first clinic we went to either, it ended up being the 3rd we settled with for various reasons. I hope you find somewhere that suits you and deserves the money you’re paying them!

• Heart
Hey, I've just found this thread and am interesting in following everyone's journeys.
My partner and I are starting IUI soon due to his fertility issues. He and his ex partner have a daughter conceived using done sperm and IUI.

I was just wondering if anyone had had successful IUI? I'm 34 and starting it but not sure whether to start IVF sooner rather than later with my age or give IUI a good go first?
Any thoughts or experience or advice would be greatly appreciated 🤗

Hey, I've just found this thread and am interesting in following everyone's journeys.
My partner and I are starting IUI soon due to his fertility issues. He and his ex partner have a daughter conceived using done sperm and IUI.

I was just wondering if anyone had had successful IUI? I'm 34 and starting it but not sure whether to start IVF sooner rather than later with my age or give IUI a good go first?
No experience, but we’re planning to start the process soon (he’s got confirmed issues, I’m a year older than you so not sure whether to try IUI with donor sperm or go straight for IVF). It’s so disheartening every month, compounded by everyone around me seemingly being able to conceive the first month they try

I'm 31 and in a slightly different situation, as we were doing IUI due to being a same sex couple, but my wife and I did 5 rounds of IUI with donor sperm and all of them failed. There's only a 20% chance of each round working if it's a natural cycle round, and honestly the last six months have been absolutely brutal. The ovulation testing, last minute dashes to the clinic for IUI when you get the smiley face, the TWW and then the negative test that starts the whole cycle again have just been awful and taken a real toll on our mental health.

I never want to scare people or put people off, but if we had had a choice (we didn't because it's NHS funded and we had to jump through the hoops to get to funded IVF) I wouldn't pick IUI. IVF is obviously more invasive but the higher success rate is, in my eyes, far more worth it.

No experience, but we’re planning to start the process soon (he’s got confirmed issues, I’m a year older than you so not sure whether to try IUI with donor sperm or go straight for IVF). It’s so disheartening every month, compounded by everyone around me seemingly being able to conceive the first month they try
I feel exactly the same and I'm so conscious of each cycle when it passes. I'm hoping to start my first IUI on the next cycle. I might try it for 6 months then consider IVF. I hope you get to start your journey soon
---
I'm 31 and in a slightly different situation, as we were doing IUI due to being a same sex couple, but my wife and I did 5 rounds of IUI with donor sperm and all of them failed. There's only a 20% chance of each round working if it's a natural cycle round, and honestly the last six months have been absolutely brutal. The ovulation testing, last minute dashes to the clinic for IUI when you get the smiley face, the TWW and then the negative test that starts the whole cycle again have just been awful and taken a real toll on our mental health.

I never want to scare people or put people off, but if we had had a choice (we didn't because it's NHS funded and we had to jump through the hoops to get to funded IVF) I wouldn't pick IUI. IVF is obviously more invasive but the higher success rate is, in my eyes, far more worth it.
Thanks your reply and I'm sorry the last six months have been awful for you. How you've described it is exactly what I'm worried about. I almost don't want to waste time on IUI for it not to he successful and lose valuable time.
It's such a huge and important decision and I guess there's no easy answer. I really wish you both the best of luck with your journey

Last edited:
Hi all! Not been much to report recently BUT… me and my hubs finally start IVF on 21st Feb 😭🤞🏼 I’m so excited and nervous I don’t know what to expect 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 6