It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I knew nothing of Section 28 before It’s A Sin, which is quite shocking really. I was born in 1987 & it horrified me to think this was all in my lifetime & really not that long ago. Since it’s a sin, I’ve spent hours educating myself.

This show is so important. I really wish they’d do a programme at the end that discusses the progress that’s been made with medical treatment. It’d be great to have the cast etc in a studio and doctors, charities etc ..

There is a great interview on YouTube with Matt Lucas & the cast, writers & producers. RTD talks about how much there is still to do. A HIV+ friend of his is trying to adopt a child & despite it being illegal to mention in a court case, it keeps being mentioned. It’s bloody awful. The stigma is still there.

On a lighter note, how bloody lovely are the cast. They all seemed bowled over by the attention they are getting. And they all seem delightful in interviews. Callum is so endearing. He’s just like a more exuberant, hilarious version of wide eyed Colin! 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

Here is to a million more shows about LGBT history.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I knew nothing of Section 28 before It’s A Sin, which is quite shocking really. I was born in 1987 & it horrified me to think this was all in my lifetime & really not that long ago. Since it’s a sin, I’ve spent hours educating myself.
Didn't know anything about Section 28 either. I feel like it affected our generation in a huge way specifically with teachers in school treading on eggshells around the topic of gay-related bullying. It made me quite angry actually.

Reactions: 2
Currently trying to watch its a sin after party, and the host is......extreamly rather annoying. Such a shame as i find it so distracting, can't watch any more of it. :(

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Currently trying to watch its a sin after party, and the host is......extreamly rather annoying. Such a shame as i find it so distracting, can't watch any more of it. :(
Yes 100% I couldn’t watch either and I was looking forward after loving the show so much.

Reactions: 4
I couldn’t watch it either. The host talks like a baby, drives me nuts.

Reactions: 9
Oh my god she is soooo annoying! Glad I’m
Not the only person who thinks that!
I feel like the show isn’t long enough, but with her presenting it, it’s to long lol
The show could be so much better. I’ve always loved behind the scenes programs so was hoping to see more peep sneaks of the show and more talkin from the the cast l.

I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

You should go to Pride! I'm hetero but was on a stall at Glasgow Pride a couple of years back. Had such a great day and met so many interesting people, including a very tipsy 17 year old girl who was scared to tell her mum she was gay. I said to her just do it, and her mum probably had an idea anyway. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I binged it all today. Really enjoyed it. I learnt about Section 28 at university but great to see it being talked about in a drama. I was born in the 90s but I adore 80s music, fashion, culture etc. I’d love to watch a documentary about the HIV/AIDS outbreak.

Agree, I managed 1.5 episodes and haven't been back. Purely because of the presenter. Shame, because the actor guests in the bits I did watch were interesting and I'd have liked to hear more. Total fail on that C4!

Reactions: 7
Yes, I’ve cringed through the after party episodes 😬 the cast have interesting things to say but alas!

• Haha
I watched it all on Saturday night and then again last night, it is probably one of the best peices of television I have ever watched.
I find it incredible how quickly the characters took a place in your heart, Henry and Jaun Pablo were only in the first episode but it broke me when that episode finished, seeing him hiding in the house, in the hospital at the end, how Colin went to visit him, it was all so heartbreaking. Colins character was my favourite, i felt his relief when Mr Hart spotted the magazines and newspapers, actually breathed a sigh of relief alongside him. Was gutted when it lost him his job and then was feeling like a proud mum when he got the keys to the printer shop, his ending had me crying like a baby, I was unsure whether the encounter with football shirt boy was consensual, had to watch again and it appears it was, but get the feeling the boy had no respect for Colin as a person and was using him while denying his own sexuality.
Roscoe was amazing, loved his character, loved the part when he went to see cassius again and realised he'd been played, it was so funny, and pissing in Mrs Ts coffee, amazing.
Richie was brilliant, I felt the world stand still alongside Jill when she was at the harbour with his mum, totally did not see that coming.
There is just too much to write about, really considering a 3rd binge.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I watched it all on Saturday night and then again last night, it is probably one of the best peices of television I have ever watched.
I find it incredible how quickly the characters took a place in your heart, Henry and Jaun Pablo were only in the first episode but it broke me when that episode finished, seeing him hiding in the house, in the hospital at the end, how Colin went to visit him, it was all so heartbreaking. Colins character was my favourite, i felt his relief when Mr Hart spotted the magazines and newspapers, actually breathed a sigh of relief alongside him. Was gutted when it lost him his job and then was feeling like a proud mum when he got the keys to the printer shop, his ending had me crying like a baby, I was unsure whether the encounter with football shirt boy was consensual, had to watch again and it appears it was, but get the feeling the boy had no respect for Colin as a person and was using him while denying his own sexuality.
Roscoe was amazing, loved his character, loved the part when he went to see cassius again and realised he'd been played, it was so funny, and pissing in Mrs Ts coffee, amazing.
Richie was brilliant, I felt the world stand still alongside Jill when she was at the harbour with his mum, totally did not see that coming.
There is just too much to write about, really considering a 3rd binge.
With Colin, it was consensual but no feelings, intimacy or love involved. Football shirt boy was a closet case self loather from what I could make of him. I felt the same about Colin, I don’t have a maternal bone in my body but just wanted to mother him and cuddle him. The actress who played his mum was wonderful, she was so loving and non-judgemental. 💜

Reactions: 16
I watched this over two weekends back in January and I adored it. I cried so much at episode 3 & 5, like proper ugly sobbing.

I knew so little, I didn't even know about section 28 until recently. I was born in '92 and this is stuff they don't teach you in schools. The thing with Colin was so shocking because I never knew that AIDS could cause dementia and seizures, my friends didn't either.
The fact they got quarantined alone in wards and that the hospitals could hold them against their will because they were a "danger to the public" - it makes me so angry. There was no understanding or compassion and so much contempt and disgust!
Colin's mum was a hero, fighting for her son. They needed far more people like her and Jill back then, it's so sad. Can't say the same for Richie's mum, what a witch, I was furious with her robbing those last moments and not even letting them say goodbye. Such a nasty and selfish thing to do.

I saw Cucumber & Banana when they first aired but can't remember a lot, might have to rewatch. Same with The Normal Heart, that broke me. Also thinking of watching QAF and Pose after reading here.

Reactions: 7
Just finished this and wow what an amazing series. I am so sad it’s over😭 like others have said I was born in the 90’s and had no idea about half of this stuff.

This has to win awards it was just absolutely brilliant

Not sure if you need to hear this and I hope you’re not offended but love is love.
Be free and know you are worthy 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I watched this over two weekends back in January and I adored it. I cried so much at episode 3 & 5, like proper ugly sobbing.

I knew so little, I didn't even know about section 28 until recently. I was born in '92 and this is stuff they don't teach you in schools. The thing with Colin was so shocking because I never knew that AIDS could cause dementia and seizures, my friends didn't either.
The fact they got quarantined alone in wards and that the hospitals could hold them against their will because they were a "danger to the public" - it makes me so angry. There was no understanding or compassion and so much contempt and disgust!
Colin's mum was a hero, fighting for her son. They needed far more people like her and Jill back then, it's so sad. Can't say the same for Richie's mum, what a witch, I was furious with her robbing those last moments and not even letting them say goodbye. Such a nasty and selfish thing to do.

I saw Cucumber & Banana when they first aired but can't remember a lot, might have to rewatch. Same with The Normal Heart, that broke me. Also thinking of watching QAF and Pose after reading here.
I love QAF. A lot more light hearted but serious moments too. Its RTD so excellent ❤ I was in one of the bars they filmed at in Canal St and was beside myself 😍

Reactions: 3
I love QAF. A lot more light hearted but serious moments too. Its RTD so excellent ❤ I was in one of the bars they filmed at in Canal St and was beside myself 😍
I watched QAF last week - I kind of enjoyed it but not as much as Cucumber or It's A Sin...I just found the majority of the characters really unlikeable? Like it was so hard to root for them at all. Not to mention the weird relationship with a schoolboy thing...I know it was a 'different time' but surely it wasn't that different!!

Reactions: 1