It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished the last episode. God, this was such an emotionally devasting series. I was so surprised at how eager I was to watch each episode given the harrowing subject matter, but I was so fully absorbed in it. I was looking forward to but also dreading every episode.

The moments that really got me the most 😭😭 where - SPOILERS -

- Jill sitting with the lonely patient in hospital at the end. Utterly heartbreaking.
- Richie's mum announcing he'd already died. I gasped out loud. I was fully expecting a final emotional reunion between him and Jill. It was really shocking to be robbed of that.
- Colin 💔💔💔 I had an uneasy feeling he would be the first of the main gang to get ill. Just the fact that his lifestyle was so at odds with the other boys. His final scenes were actually not only totally heartbreaking, but very disturbing. I would not be able to sit through them again.

Superb.
Agree with everything here. I did think when Richie's mum met Gill to say Richie had died,I thought she was lying to get rid of Gill.

Reactions: 10
I’ve recorded it to watch over the weekend! I have a question though, I wasn’t born then but I’m just wondering...the fear around AIDS, was it something that everyone was scared of in the beginning? Like I know there was mass panic to begin with, was the fear felt by people comparable to the fear felt in this pandemic or not? Hopefully this doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m genuinely curious
Hi - the fear was huge but sadly very focused on one group of society. People were taking their own cutlery to restaurants, wouldn’t use work loos if they suspected someone was gay in the office. Younger people wouldn’t understand the stigma then of being gay, very few people were openly gay. Medical staff were terrified so was hard to get good care or even any care - Terrence Higgins Trust led the way and Princess Diana hugging an aids patient changed that but it was a terrible time.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
When Gloria died and his family were burning his things in the garden, were they burning everything, even the pictures of him as a small child to wipe away the memory of him?

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I was shocked that she finally met Jill only to say "he's dead" as if she was putting a knife through j ill's heart. That threw me!
As a parent I think she wanted to rob Jill of that final moment with Ritchie as she feels Jill kept her away from Ritchie. I felt so sad for Jill

Agree with everything here. I did think when Richie's mum met Gill to say Richie had died,I thought she was lying to get rid of Gill.
Me too, I gasped out loud at that scene

Reactions: 8
Oh my god I was in BITS

** SPOILERS **
The whole thing with Ritchie seeing Donald’s skin and being paranoid afterwards but not telling his friends :’(
ASH TELLING RITCHIE HE LOVED HIM - that BROKE me cause imagine they’d just got together and they hadn’t slept around and omg
Jill is such a saint and it broke me that Ritchie asked for her and his mum wouldn’t let her near and then he died on his own but then Jill going to sit with the other guy who had no friends or family
Ritchies dad being the actual understanding one :(

I finished it last night and I still can’t get over it

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just finished the last episode. God, this was such an emotionally devasting series. I was so surprised at how eager I was to watch each episode given the harrowing subject matter, but I was so fully absorbed in it. I was looking forward to but also dreading every episode.

The moments that really got me the most 😭😭 where - SPOILERS -

- Jill sitting with the lonely patient in hospital at the end. Utterly heartbreaking.
- Richie's mum announcing he'd already died. I gasped out loud. I was fully expecting a final emotional reunion between him and Jill. It was really shocking to be robbed of that.
- Colin 💔💔💔 I had an uneasy feeling he would be the first of the main gang to get ill. Just the fact that his lifestyle was so at odds with the other boys. His final scenes were actually not only totally heartbreaking, but very disturbing. I would not be able to sit through them again.

Superb.
SPOILER - sorry, not sure how to cover like I’ve seen in other threads.

I couldn’t believe it when she said Richie had died, I thought she was lying to keep Jill away and eventually it would lead to Jill finding out and finally getting to see him. Espically as it flashed to him straight after, but it was going back.
What a cow she was but Keeley Hawes played the part amazing. I have watched it twice and I loved watching it a second time as you pick up a bit more on smaller things. So very sad though and I’m still thinking about it almost a week later 😭 truly devastating that this was real life not so long ago 😞
I was born in 1985 so I didn’t truly grasp the devastation but this show highlighted just how awful life was for gay men and aids victims.
LA!

Reactions: 7
I think it was very clever how that line about his death was delivered, too. It wasn't some grandiose announcement, it was almost a throw-a-way line delivered very matter-of-factly. That's what made it more shocking as there was no build-up to make us expect it.

Reactions: 17
I think it was very clever how that line about his death was delivered, too. It wasn't some grandiose announcement, it was almost a throw-a-way line delivered very matter-of-factly. That's what made it more shocking as there was no build-up to make us expect it.
Jills face broke me when she realised. She went there thinking she was going to get to see him and found out he had gone the day before. I really ugly cried at that part, along with the Colin scenes.

Reactions: 15
I meant to watch one episode and binged the whole thing. It did not feel like 5 hours, it went in so quickly, just really gripping and compelling, I couldn't stop watching. So many brutal, gutwrenching moments, like the bonfire at the end of ep 2. Colin's entire fate. Just heartbreaking 😭

Reminded me of the sublime The Normal Heart and also And The Band Played On. The way it starts off with everyone hopeful and happy and you know some of these wonderful characters are doomed. It's stunning from a 2021 perspective how little Aids was reported on at first, the misinformation, the blame, the ignorance, the wall of silence (that doctor Jill saw! 🤬). So many more lives could have been saved.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I meant to watch one episode and binged the whole thing. It did not feel like 5 hours, it went in so quickly, just really gripping and compelling, I couldn't stop watching. So many brutal, gutwrenching moments, like the bonfire at the end of ep 2. Colin's entire fate. Just heartbreaking 😭

Reminded me of the sublime The Normal Heart and also And The Band Played On. The way it starts off with everyone hopeful and happy and you know some of these wonderful characters are doomed. It's stunning from a 2021 perspective how little Aids was reported on at first, the misinformation, the blame, the ignorance, the wall of silence (that doctor Jill saw! 🤬). So many more lives could have been saved.
Yes, it was incredibly addictive. I paced myself at one epidode per night but originally I was planning to watch it over the course of a couple of weeks. Could have easily watched it all in one go.

Reactions: 4
I was 14 when that advert aired and we all got the leaflet through our letter boxes. The ad scared the bejesus out of me.

I'm going to rewatch the UK queer as folk after this 😊
I was 13 and though, OK I'm never having sex. Scared the life out of me.

Reactions: 1
I was 13 and though, OK I'm never having sex. Scared the life out of me.
Im the same, it frightened the hell out of me regarding sex. Im surprised GenX had sex at all after those ads (just googled and they are the most promiscuous - son't get this at all :/ )

Reactions: 3
When Gloria died and his family were burning his things in the garden, were they burning everything, even the pictures of him as a small child to wipe away the memory of him?
That broke me :cry:

I was 12 when I first became aware of HIV/AIDS, when Rock Hudson died. There had been an uproar because he had an onscreen kiss with Linda Evans in Dynasty and she had to get a test if memory serves. So little was known about it. A strong memory I have was the Sun running a headline "GAY PLAGUE" :mad:

I think Colin's death affected me most, he was such a lovely character and when he said to his mum (she was a wee diamond) that he was dirty I was sobbing 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I literally had just said to OH that I thought Colin was my favourite of the group, and by the end of the episode, well... 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I though it was an absolute Masterpiece; I don’t think it will ever leave me. My children are only little but I will watch it with them when they are old enough.

The actress who played Jill mentioned on Instagram that she spent hours looking through The AIDS Memorial Instagram Page. My god it breaks your heart 💔💔💔 xx

Reactions: 13
I ended up binge watching and want to watch it again. What an amazing programme! So well written and acted. I was an emotional wreck by the end but I loved it 💔

Reactions: 6
When Ritchie is in the hospital and Ash says to his mother that he’s having the best care and that Jill visits every day, her face and demeanor changes. That and the mum in the kitchen is what makes her want to take him away and punish them and their friendship.

each time I watch the series I notice something new. It truly is excellent

Reactions: 10
I finished it a couple of nights ago and I'm still thinking about it. I'd seen people say that I'd be crying and I got to Richie dying and was OK so thought I was heart hearted but then when they were all in the kitchen after I was in floods and totally ended when Jill was sitting with Marcus. In fact I'm crying now just thinking about it. I hated Keeley Hawes in it, but then I think that's what you're meant to feel. She's totally indicative of the era but so cruel.

I knew that it had been awful time, I was born in 78 so I remember bits of it in a vague way and I've read and watched enough over the years to get a decent picture but this has really hit home. All those boys and men who just didn't have a chance, who were treated appallingly and suffered way more than they should have done. The lack of dignity, the shame and the ignorance is shocking.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
That is what took my breath away the flippancy

Reactions: 5
On Apple Music and Spotify smash hits have made a playlist!

A week on and I’m still thinking about it.

I was tellin a friend about it and how upsetting it was seein these boys dieing alone and she said well what about now with covid! Least now they have the doctors n nurses caring for them and can have contact with family. These poor boys were left alone and locked away especially at that start.! I was wasting my time tryin to explain the difference to her.

• Sad
Reactions: 12