Is my 'best friend' jealous of my pregnancy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I usually come on this website for a laugh but having seen the massive support people give to each other on here I thought I'd come out with this as its been playing on my mind for ages and wanted other peoples opinions.....

I am pregnant with my first baby. My husband and I went through a lot (inc fertility treatment) to get this pregnancy so it wasnt anything like a whoops baby or anything.

And naturally I told my best friend as soon as the test showed positive A) because shes my best friend and B) because I was so excited.

*Disclaimer, my friend doesnt have children, is 10 years older than me, and will repeatedly slag babies and children off calling them a 'rip off', which to me, indicates she doesnt want them - but I'm starting to feel different now after this show of jealously*

But from the moment she found I am pregnant, in came the bitter and quite frankly what I believe to be jealous comments. When I told her about the positive test, rather than saying "congratulations!" (after knowing what we'd been through to get there), she said "dont get too excited, you might miscarry". Which put a downer on it.

Since then the comments have continued. Every time I excitedly mention either I've bought something, or im looking at buying something for the baby, comments like "I'd never buy that, its tit and the baby wont like it". I bought some bits the other day and she took the piss out of me calling me "keen" and "one of those mums who buys everything". She even said "I'd laugh if you ended up with twins you'd never cope it would be like watching a live meltdown" and "ha ha bet youre gutted you cant drink now at Christmas youre gonna well miss out duck having to give up things like that all for a crappy baby" (Like that bothers me ffs!)

But the comments that have pushed me over the edge were "if your baby comes out ugly that'd be hilarious" and "if you dont breastfeed your baby wont connect to you and it'll grow up hating you"

Sorry but who the duck says those things to not only a first time mum, but someone who's gone through extensive fertility treatment and a load of money to get this blessing?

I am very rapidly going off her and I spoke to my mum about it and she said it sounds like my friend is very bitter and jealous and is going off on the defensive, rude act to try and give off the impression that she doesnt want kids, but maybe that's what she desperately wants?

Like I said shes 10 years older than me, doesnt have a partner.

Sorry this has gone off on a rant, but I needed to air this because I am sick and tired of it. Why cant people just be happy for others?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
she said "dont get too excited, you might miscarry".
"I'd laugh if you ended up with twins you'd never cope it would be like watching a live meltdown"
"ha ha bet youre gutted you cant drink now at Christmas youre gonna well miss out duck having to give up things like that all for a crappy baby"
"if your baby comes out ugly that'd be hilarious"
"if you dont breastfeed your baby wont connect to you and it'll grow up hating you"
After those, why are you even calling her a friend?

Reactions: 51
Firstly, congratulations! I don’t have kids yet but I can feel your excitement and joy! ❤❤
Secondly, I had a friend like that, and you are correct, it all boils down to jealousy. I think you need to tell her straight what a nasty piece of work she is. possibly some of it stems from her having fertility issues or something? But why would you want to bring someone else down?? No excuse x

Edited to add...I’d cut her off now rather than further down the line, when you have a newborn do you want to be worrying about what she thinks/ have her say vile things like that when the babies here?

Reactions: 15
After those, why are you even calling her a friend?
I totally hear ya. But this is a difficult time for me. Shes been my best friend for 17 years (I forgot to add that in), and for someone to turn like this after you've shared some amazing news is very hard to digest.

Reactions: 3
Congratulations!

Jealousy or not, you need to cut her out that is horrible! What kind of a friend says 'not get excited, you might miscarry'? No friend would EVER say that.

Reactions: 15
Just the miscarriage comment alone would have me leaving. What an utterly vile and thoroughly insensitive thing to say to anyone pregnant, especially when you’ve fought so hard.
Congratulations to you all and I hope you can step away from this and enjoy a stress free pregnancy x

Reactions: 27
"dont get too excited, you might miscarry"

I’d have told her to duck off and not come back after that comment. This person is not your friend and she’s totally toxic.

My husband and I spent about 5 years trying to get pregnant before my gynae issues took over and I ended up having a hysterectomy. There were periods of time when it was very hard for me when friends and colleagues got pregnant but I would never dream of being anything but happy for them, it wasn’t their fault it didn’t happen for me. I dealt with my sadness in private, only talking to my husband and besties about it, and even then I was just sad, not nasty and jealous.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Enjoy it and buy all the things you want and get this horrible ‘friend’ out of your life.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Congratulations!
And they're horrible things to say!
If you don't want to cut her off, you certainly need to stand up and say something to her at least

Reactions: 5
Its total utter jealousy, a lot of women are absolutely desperate for a partner and baby. Just because she hasn't voiced it doesn't mean anything.
I had a friend once who was totally obsessed with another woman and it wasn't because she fancied her it was because she was very jealous of all the male attention the other girl got. Jealousy is a very powerful emotion and can run very,very deep.
I'd back off from her and tell her that she needs to stop making nasty comments otherwise you wont be able to see her anymore. I'd mean it as well. Congratulations anyway and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well.
If someone is a total witch its usually one or a combination of these 3, 1)They really dislike you 2)Jealousy, 3) Poor mental health like severe depression which makes people very negative generally.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I think you know that you need to cut her off. The words she has expressed to a best friend is very questionable and very sickening. The hatred towards you and your unborn baby is absolutely disgusting.
I think it’s hard as you have been friends for 17 years and this has thrown you off.
If she’s treating you like this now what happens when you go further into your pregnancy.
You don’t need this right now.
You lost a friend but gained a baby.
Don’t even give her an explanation she will enjoy stressing you during your pregnancy most likely wishing you bad things so I would just cut her off. Block all contact.

Good luck 🤞🏾

So I usually come on this website for a laugh but having seen the massive support people give to each other on here I thought I'd come out with this as its been playing on my mind for ages and wanted other peoples opinions.....

I am pregnant with my first baby. My husband and I went through a lot (inc fertility treatment) to get this pregnancy so it wasnt anything like a whoops baby or anything.

And naturally I told my best friend as soon as the test showed positive A) because shes my best friend and B) because I was so excited.

*Disclaimer, my friend doesnt have children, is 10 years older than me, and will repeatedly slag babies and children off calling them a 'rip off', which to me, indicates she doesnt want them - but I'm starting to feel different now after this show of jealously*

But from the moment she found I am pregnant, in came the bitter and quite frankly what I believe to be jealous comments. When I told her about the positive test, rather than saying "congratulations!" (after knowing what we'd been through to get there), she said "dont get too excited, you might miscarry". Which put a downer on it.

Since then the comments have continued. Every time I excitedly mention either I've bought something, or im looking at buying something for the baby, comments like "I'd never buy that, its tit and the baby wont like it". I bought some bits the other day and she took the piss out of me calling me "keen" and "one of those mums who buys everything". She even said "I'd laugh if you ended up with twins you'd never cope it would be like watching a live meltdown" and "ha ha bet youre gutted you cant drink now at Christmas youre gonna well miss out duck having to give up things like that all for a crappy baby" (Like that bothers me ffs!)

But the comments that have pushed me over the edge were "if your baby comes out ugly that'd be hilarious" and "if you dont breastfeed your baby wont connect to you and it'll grow up hating you"

Sorry but who the duck says those things to not only a first time mum, but someone who's gone through extensive fertility treatment and a load of money to get this blessing?

I am very rapidly going off her and I spoke to my mum about it and she said it sounds like my friend is very bitter and jealous and is going off on the defensive, rude act to try and give off the impression that she doesnt want kids, but maybe that's what she desperately wants?

Sorry this has gone off on a rant, but I needed to air this because I am sick and tired of it. Why cant people just be happy for others?
Drop her. She sounds vile.
Huge congratulations to you both ❤

Reactions: 4
Congratulations on your pregnancy ❤

This woman is not your friend. No friend would mention miscarrying or having a 'crappy baby' to someone who is pregnant. You need to cut her out of your life, she sounds vile and toxic.

Reactions: 6
"dont get too excited, you might miscarry" Who actually says that?!?! I'd have slapped her.
Jealous or bitter she shouldnt be making these kinds of comments. I dont want kids and my friend had another child when her eldest was finishing school and I thought she was crazy. We all called her mentral in jest but she was in on it too. I wouldnt dream of saying things like your friend has said.
Ask her what the issue is? Is she afraid you wont have time for her once your baby comes or that you will make friends with other mothers? If she has an issue with any of that she needs to accept it or move on because you are bound to be less available once your baby comes and meeting other mothers comes with going to mother and baby groups etc. If she cant accept how much having a baby means to you then I would cut ties.
Congratulations by the way, what a lovely thing to come out of this year.

Wow. I haven't got kids (medical reasons partly, but now decided it's not for us). I do sometimes find it hard to get excited for friends who are expecting, but I put on a bit of a front, even if subconsciously I'm rolling my eyes a little.

Those are such harsh comments and I don't understand why anyone would say that to someone! I would just stop communicating with her. If she reaches out and is behaving better I would take her back, but otherwise doesn't sound like a loss of a true friendship.

Sorry to say but your “best friend” sounds horrible. Whenever any of mine or my partners friends announce a pregnancy I’m so excited for them and couldn’t imagine saying any of these things she’s said to you. I don’t have kids yet but I do want them. Even if I didn’t want kids I couldn’t imagine wanting to say any of these things to my friends when they are expecting. I’m at a point in life now where I would cut people off if they are twats and I wouldn’t bother with this friend anymore. You deserve to be excited about your pregnancy. Surround yourself with people who are happy for you!

Congratulations lovely! Focus on yourself, your baby and your partner - this is something you’ve really worked hard for (money, time, physically) and don’t let anyone make you feel tit, friend or not.
Personally I agree and do think it’s jealousy, but she’s taken it a step too far.

Reactions: 4
Trust me I know how it feels to lose a friend after getting pregnant. I have written it on a thread a while back.. can’t remember which one. However , your happiness and baby come first over those comments. I would be absolutely distraught if anyone said you might miscarry especially after struggling to get pregnant. I’m sorry but as a friend she should be happy for you and support you.
When I got pregnant my friend cried saying I wouldn’t have time for her anymore Etc and would send me videos of women in labour when I told her I was absolutely terrified being a FTM .. we were friends for 10 years. Anyway we haven’t spoken in two years and I can’t say I’m sad about it. She showed her true colours ( there was a lot more issues I can’t be bothered to write them all😂) but I think when you’re pregnant things come into perspective sometimes you do realise who your true friends are and I’m sorry she doesn’t sound like one of them .. one comment I could live with but there are numerous hurtful spiteful ones I really think you should say something or not speak to her for a while. Like another poster said when you’ve just given birth the last thing you want is her making more comments you will be emotional as it is!!!
Hope your ok and sorry for
The long winded response. 💙

I totally hear ya. But this is a difficult time for me. Shes been my best friend for 17 years (I forgot to add that in), and for someone to turn like this after you've shared some amazing news is very hard to digest.
The thing is this only makes it worse. If you’ve been friends for so long and she does feel jealous or somehow it’s made her realise you’re having something she wants, she should be able to talk to you about that and not say all these nasty comments to you. It does sound like she is jealous because I don’t really like babies and don’t want to have any but when other people around me have them I would never say these things because I’m not jealous, it’s just they’re doing something I don’t want to do but they obviously want that so I’m happy for them. I don’t think as someone who doesn’t want children that her response is normal. Either way it’s not acceptable especially the miscarriage comment. And to be honest if she’s this spiteful about your baby is she someone who is going to play a huge role in your life after you give birth because she presumably won’t want to be around your child much and you’ll be a new Mum with little time. Probably best to cut ties now.

Congratulations by the way!

Congratulations!!

Holy tit she is so awful...that is so so nasty. Drop her immediately. I wouldn’t even say those comments to a stranger