Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not surprised at all by the winner. Her final design was much much better than Jack’s. I am still shocked she didn’t go out weeks ago though.

Reactions: 12
A VELVET bar???? Which will have drinks spilled down it!!!!
True, but anything that has been leafed is very delicate. So Monika’s bar will get scratched to duck and ruined pretty quickly. Neither practical - at least the bars protected Jack’s.

I think we all saw the writing on the wall by Michelle keeping Monika in despite the fact she basically did the same design/colour palette for several weeks in a row. I did like her design - definitely her best - but I also liked Jack’s.

Reactions: 7
I don’t even think she did a better job in the final. I hated the floral wallpaper but I guess I can see why people would like it, but the tables were tiny, no seating at the bar, chairs looked uncomfortable, nothing cosy or inviting about it. He created something more cohesive and inviting with a more social space upstairs. His portfolio and range across the series was miles better, her hair salon last week was awful and ghastly and her “I don’t like the beach so I’m just doing a gin bar” beach hut should have had her sent off.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Agree that Monika should have gone out ahe’s ago but I also preferred her bar design tonight (except for the cafe style chairs - they just did not go). I knew she would win out of the 2 - last year it was won a white gay man, I think if Jack had won this year there might have been criticism regards the lack of diversity.

Reactions: 6
I don’t even think she did a better job in the final. I hated the floral wallpaper but I guess I can see why people would like it, but the tables were tiny, no seating at the bar, chairs looked uncomfortable, nothing cosy or inviting about it. He created something more cohesive and inviting with a more social space upstairs. His portfolio and range across the series was miles better, her hair salon last week was awful and ghastly and her “I don’t like the beach so I’m just doing a gin bar” beach hut should have had her sent off.
I thought Monika's tables and chairs were so out of place - not inviting at all for a lengthy cosy pub visit. I said to my partner they looked like cafe furniture, then when the judge said that too I was shouting 'I said that! I said that didn't I!' Partner just wearily said 'Yes. Yes you did'.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Monika should have gone weeks ago, can’t stand how unorganised she was it’s really unprofessional, she’s really not a worthy winner. Hated her design tonight too; I feel like Navy is really played out & boring now, the wallpaper I’ve seen a million times also and the tables & chairs were completely wrong & ill thought out. The only redeeming feature of her design, the bar, will be destroyed within weeks & cost the owners a fortune to re-do! Such a disappointing end to a mediocre series.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Agree that Monika should have gone out ahe’s ago but I also preferred her bar design tonight (except for the cafe style chairs - they just did not go). I knew she would win out of the 2 - last year it was won a white gay man, I think if Jack had won this year there might have been criticism regards the lack of diversity.
Maybe straight people need to stop painting everything one colour and actually have some imagination.

I’m still owed trauma therapy by the BBC for this season 1 design, by the winner no less, but I’m owed even more after being put through 8 weeks of Monika blaming everyone else but herself and then crying about her own cock ups, just for her to win the whole bloody show
IMG_2774.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I go to Brighton a lot. I am definitely going to pay a visit to both to see what they have kept.

Monica’s - The bar looked very good but won’t look like that after a short while. I liked the wallpaper on the ceiling. She hit the manager’s brief. The chairs and tables were the weak link. Scrub that Monica herself was the weak link. All the sobbing. She has a checklist - dark paint ✅ velvet ✅ weeping ✅

Jack’s - There were elements I liked - the chairs with the material. The bars on the bar. The cobalt blue exterior. However it did not feel like a Gastropub. It felt like a cocktail bar, he missed the brief as the owner said. That was a mistake. But Jack has never been a weak link, he has been a real steady Eddie. Although he is over reliant on certain things - panelling, murals.

This week’s challenge winner was Monica - it was better than Jack’s.But overall Jack was the winner and I foresee a brilliant career for him, probably with TV work. He is quite media aware as well as talented.

So, sod Michelle. Jack was the winner for me. 🥇🏆🎖🏅

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Well we all know Jack will do best out of it in the end. I can't see who would hire Monika? Jack is such a calming pleasant person. Your designer crying and insisting on putting their own stamp on everything would not be a relaxing experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Monika should have gone weeks ago, can’t stand how unorganised she was it’s really unprofessional, she’s really not a worthy winner. Hated her design tonight too; I feel like Navy is really played out & boring now, the wallpaper I’ve seen a million times also and the tables & chairs were completely wrong & ill thought out. The only redeeming feature of her design, the bar, will be destroyed within weeks & cost the owners a fortune to re-do! Such a disappointing end to a mediocre series.
I loved Michelle waxing lyrical about how Monica had grown and listened to the brief and changed her style … when her whole ‘journey’ was about listening to her gut and trusting herself, and if you took away her dark blue, forest green and various metal leafs she’d be cast adrift.

Reactions: 5
Here are the two designs as mentioned on their respective websites. Trip advisor reviews - Monica’s gets mentioned for the beautiful makeover, Jack’s decor doesn’t get a mention.

E524CBB2-C08D-41F2-A65E-8CBF18CAC060.jpeg
5AB6DB92-F05A-4AF4-BA2A-E9FD7E63C315.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I wish Jack's final design had just had a bit more Oomph. I can't quite describe what I mean, I don't think it would have taken much. It was all a bit subtle.

Sorry but just my opinion: Monika’s designs look very tacky and poorly finished herself and she had a sh!t lotta help from others and Tom to give it a professional finish, all the while she spent a whole day gold leafing (the sort to blow most of the budget 😆) and also copied some ideas from others oh well lessons learned and an easy brief with a social media theme oh rose gold yar…
The ADHD was used as an excuse for poor planning and disorganisation every task, but when she won she seemed very calm and matter of fact. It was handed to her on a plate. Maybe if she spent more time planning and explaining designs better is easier said than done.

Jack was much more hands-on, methodical, consistent with his signature style of course the true winner imho. His CF wasn’t mentioned until the last montage with his family. Anyway he has more talent, professionalism, appeal and potential for TV in the long-run. But hope he has fresh ideas as styles can get out of fashion in a few years. The pub design looked like something out of Joe Browns catalogue 😸

Reactions: 9
Sorry but just my opinion: Monika’s designs look very tacky and poorly finished herself and she had a sh!t lotta help from others and Tom to give it a professional finish, all the while she spent a whole day gold leafing (the sort to blow most of the budget 😆) and also copied some ideas from others oh well lessons learned and an easy brief with a social media theme oh rose gold yar…
The ADHD was used as an excuse for poor planning and disorganisation every task, but when she won she seemed very calm and matter of fact. It was handed to her on a plate. Maybe if she spent more time planning and explaining designs better is easier said than done.

Jack was much more hands-on, methodical, consistent with his signature style of course the true winner imho. His CF wasn’t mentioned until the last montage with his family. Anyway he has more talent, professionalism, appeal and potential for TV in the long-run. But hope he has fresh ideas as styles can get out of fashion in a few years. The pub design looked like something out of Joe Browns catalogue 😸
To be fair, Jack mentioned his CF on beach hut week, when he did the NHS hut and he said how many times they had helped him.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Monika does have a very strong design ascetic and you know what you get with her and understand her pov. Which you don't really get with Jack, or most of the others thinking about it. So at least from that pov she stands out as a designer.

Yes, it also depends what’s the clients taste and the brief they get. Monika fortunately(?) mostly had clients who fit her design aesthetic (which is usually an all-or-nothing type) whereas Jack’s clients were kinda vague, lulled into a false security anything goes but doesn’t meh so varied his signature style.
Hard to say who is brave with designs as everything’s been done before and nothing new under the sun.
My takeaway diy try-out from this series is Japandi 😆 so maybe I’m a little biased 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Looking at instagram, it looks like Jack's pub have got rid of the velvet bar and stripped the black floors back to wood. The wood floors look a lot better!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.