Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking at instagram, it looks like Jack's pub have got rid of the velvet bar and stripped the black floors back to wood. The wood floors look a lot better!
Looking at their insta, the bar was changed back straight away. They shut on 13 September for a refurb and on 17 September they showed the result and the gold ledge and the vertical bars weren't there. I bet it just wasn't secure enough for actual usage in a busy bar and was only ever put in for the sake of the design and the TV show. Bars need to be really robust

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Did anyone watch the original series The Great Interior Design Challenge? I much preferred that over this show/format but I’m still watching. I liked that they visited really interesting and unique architectural buildings and homes. The new build show homes and high rise modern flats just don’t do it for me!!
Yes. Used to love the intros from Tom(?) going into the architectural history each week and Sophie and Daniel were great judges. It's like a totally different show now. Don't mind Alan but the humour and skits aren't really needed.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Looking at their insta, the bar was changed back straight away. They shut on 13 September for a refurb and on 17 September they showed the result and the gold ledge and the vertical bars weren't there. I bet it just wasn't secure enough for actual usage in a busy bar and was only ever put in for the sake of the design and the TV show. Bars need to be really robust
That’s one of the things about this show that frustrates me. They need to be judged more on the genuine sustainability and robustness of their designs and the practicality of what they produce. What’s the point in having a ledge that can’t confidently hold a large number of pints and tables that can’t fit everything needed on them comfortably? That’s one of the big bug bears of mine going out to a gastro pub - when the tables are too small and everything is squished. Leads to bad customer experience.

If I hired a designer and the extra bar bit wasn’t secure enough for actual use, what would be the point?! These are things they need to learn if they want to go out into the world as real designers, with signature styles that they want copied all over the world. Substance before style.

Reactions: 16
That’s one of the things about this show that frustrates me. They need to be judged more on the genuine sustainability and robustness of their designs and the practicality of what they produce. What’s the point in having a ledge that can’t confidently hold a large number of pints and tables that can’t fit everything needed on them comfortably? That’s one of the big bug bears of mine going out to a gastro pub - when the tables are too small and everything is squished. Leads to bad customer experience.

If I hired a designer and the extra bar bit wasn’t secure enough for actual use, what would be the point?! These are things they need to learn if they want to go out into the world as real designers, with signature styles that they want copied all over the world. Substance before style.
I completely agree although the budget and time constraints mean the finish is often awful or the materials used have no longevity because they are cheap.

As has been said before, Michelle will reference impracticality when it suits but not challenge if she likes the overall design. Similarly it’s how she’ll overlook a designer forgetting/overlooking parts of the design challenge (Monika with the outside space of the beach chalet and the lack of effort at the lodge).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I completely agree although the budget and time constraints mean the finish is often awful or the materials used have no longevity because they are cheap.

As has been said before, Michelle will reference impracticality when it suits but not challenge if she likes the overall design. Similarly it’s how she’ll overlook a designer forgetting/overlooking parts of the design challenge (Monika with the outside space of the beach chalet and the lack of effort at the lodge).
I think the time constraints are definitely an issue when it comes to the finished product. I've thought about this over the various series, and I decided that, in my eyes the best approach would be that they are penalised if they go over the time constraint (but I guess that extra time has to be to a reasonable extent e.g. a day.. like you couldn't go over by a week or something haha).

For budget I reckon they should penalised if they don't spend their budget wisely. For example in the previous ep, Monika spent a load on the ceiling and compromised with tiny mirrors, which were too small for the wall because she had changed the ceiling height, in a fecking hair salon.

Reactions: 3
The right person won imo. I just don’t get the Jack thing, he had a couple of good weeks early on (possibly peaked in week 1) and is a lovely person but most of his designs weren’t great. It’s been discussed before but it really was a low standard this year. If they do it again next year I hope they find some decent designers.

Reactions: 12
I'm not mad Monika won - her bar was fantastic and it always comes down to whether they met the brief or not. Jack's design was very chic but it just didn't look like much of a gastro pub

I'm glad the owners took that ledge on Jack's bar out because when I first saw it, all I could think of was people whacking their elbows on it as they walked past 😆

Reactions: 9

I think the finished designs that are judged are more of a concept than actuality, really. The build time and budget are cut to the bone, and while the designers obviously get the floor plan and layout they first see the space when they walk in to start work … and usually the first words out of their mouths are ‘ooh, that’s different …‘ or ‘that wasn’t what I was expecting’. There is no way a space can be made over in 2 days, including frontage even with a brace of tradies and the wrong paint.

For people waxing lyrical about something that obviously is going to need further work to make it useable, I keep thinking of the transformer units in the shop refit challenge where it was obvious the table support had to be positioned just so or your wine and nibbles would be on the floor in no time.

Reactions: 8
All I want to say is that the bar with the gold? A couple of wipes down with a bleachy cloth and it’ll be ruined. It’s a bar not a show home!

• Haha
The DM stories and comments are not amiss 😆

Reactions: 3
i really think you start to see faults with the designs and the show in general when they move to commercial spaces. i know some are slating monika's furniture but for a gastropub i have no idea how four people were meant to eat and drink on jack's tables upstairs! something they also never seem to mention is clearance between fixed furniture or walkways but the only time i've noticed it looking decently spaced was monika's this week. they never discuss considerations with fabrics either, is it fire retardant or task seating appropriate etc.

they're so limited with budget and time that materials wise they can't do much else than what they know has worked before. again monika's were very similar week after week but even jack did a half green wall and wood panelling in week one! so hard for them to balance signature style with being too repetitive.

Reactions: 11
I think the time constraints are definitely an issue when it comes to the finished product. I've thought about this over the various series, and I decided that, in my eyes the best approach would be that they are penalised if they go over the time constraint (but I guess that extra time has to be to a reasonable extent e.g. a day.. like you couldn't go over by a week or something haha).

For budget I reckon they should penalised if they don't spend their budget wisely. For example in the previous ep, Monika spent a load on the ceiling and compromised with tiny mirrors, which were too small for the wall because she had changed the ceiling height, in a fecking hair salon.
Glad someone else has mentioned her mirrors, my own bathroom has a bigger mirror, she’s expecting someone to have their haircut in a mirror that would just about fit my head. People with long hair sometimes have to stand up for the first part of their cut so I’d be fucked in her salon.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Glad someone else has mentioned her mirrors, my own bathroom has a bigger mirror, she’s expecting someone to have their haircut in a mirror that would just about fit my head. People with long hair sometimes have to stand up for the first part of their cut so I’d be fucked in her salon.
I'd actually love a salon with no mirrors. That's the worst part of getting my hair done for me. Staring at my head in that hideous black cape!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'd actually love a salon with no mirrors. That's the worst part of getting my hair done for me. Staring at my head in that hideous black cape!
Same 😂
It's horrible. No matter how much the lighting is meant to be 'flattering'. It never is.

Reactions: 4
For me IDM has always given massive Changing Rooms/60 Minute Makeover vibes. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching it but I would never expect any of the designs to have any longevity.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
A VELVET bar???? Which will have drinks spilled down it!!!!
Looking on their Instagram it seems they have changed the bar and reverted back to what it was (along with changing the flooring). Which is a shame because I really liked what Jack did but the owner didn’t look too enamoured with the whole process - what did Jack do that went off the brief? The owner mentioned that but can’t remember what exactly it was.
I really liked both of their designs, there were issues with both (such as the picnic chairs in Monika’s pub) but overall I think they were great.
---
Maybe straight people need to stop painting everything one colour and actually have some imagination.

I’m still owed trauma therapy by the BBC for this season 1 design, by the winner no less, but I’m owed even more after being put through 8 weeks of Monika blaming everyone else but herself and then crying about her own cock ups, just for her to win the whole bloody show
View attachment 2127646
What. The. duck. Is. That.
Is there a reason it’s off centre?
---
I keep thinking of the transformer units in the shop refit challenge where it was obvious the table support had to be positioned just so or your wine and nibbles would be on the floor in no time.
From the photos I looked at that week, the owner got rid of those units.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Looking on their Instagram it seems they have changed the bar and reverted back to what it was (along with changing the flooring). Which is a shame because I really liked what Jack did but the owner didn’t look too enamoured with the whole process - what did Jack do that went off the brief? The owner mentioned that but can’t remember what exactly it was.
Well there was that odd bit where in the judging they kept saying 'well Jack really hasn't embraced the field to fork ethos of the pub' which implies rustic to me - which had never been mentioned before, to the viewer anyway.
So either it wasn't emphasised enough to Jack in the brief, or it was but he ignored it.

The pictures of the pub now make the bar look dirty and too manly, likes it’s just somewhere men meet up for a pint or two on a Saturday. Not somewhere I’d take the family of all ages for food, but maybe that’s just down to taste.
---
---

What. The. duck. Is. That.
Is there a reason it’s off centre?
---
I can’t remember, I watched series 1 about 3 years ago in lockdown and they had hotels and each room was a different chocolate theme of milk, white and dark. I just remember Michelle loving that one but I thought it was so hideous it sometimes still just randomly comes to my mind even now.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.