Instagram

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

A general thread for Instagram.

Their "revolutionary" take a break feature comes in today. So every so often it'll as you if you want a break, and you can just click close. Well that's a game changer 🙄.

It's like when the Wii told you every other hour the outside existed😆

--

Take a break
In his blog post, Mr Mosseri announced the launch of the "take-a-break" feature, which he had tweeted about in November.
It will be launched on Tuesday in the UK, Ireland, United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, he said.
"If someone has been scrolling for a certain amount of time, we'll ask them to take a break from Instagram and suggest that they set reminders to take more breaks in the future," Mr Mosseri wrote.
The feature would also show them tips from experts to "help them reflect and reset", he said.
01_264416118_655941602230750_7942810033641418285_n.jpg
IMAGE SOURCE,INSTAGRAM
Teenage users will get notifications to turn on break reminders, he said.
Instagram also said it will launch a new tool for parents in March 2022, which will let them see how much time children are spending on Instagram, and set time limits for the app. Another companion feature will allow teens to opt-in to a system that will notify parents if the teenager files a report against an Instagram user.
Time limits already exist on Instagram - users can voluntarily set a time limit per day and receive a notification when that limit is hit.

Reactions: 2
It’s like when Netflix asks you if you’re still watching and you’re like well duh

2DAA6355-3CDA-4F03-AF3A-551A12BE2B49.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I do like instagram and stories. But all the ads, suggested posts, influencers, paid partnerships trying to be all platforms in one with igtv and vid calls and reels and the shop/marketplace has made it annoying. Would rather a simple app with no ads or algorithms which just has grid posts, stories and maybe vids.

Ofc reels and tiktok style formats are designed to keep people scrolling and turn trends over super fast but I feel like it's damaging in quite a few ways (e.g. even more consumerism if that was possible, micro fashion trends, even less organic music popularity etc etc)

Reactions: 10

Yel

Would rather a simple app with no ads or algorithms
The ads and algorithms are how Instagram makes all its money! They make 3 times more per user than Facebook user. That won't be going anywhere

Facebook did start off with a whole seperate app for the tiktok features they were copying (it was called lasso). But decided it would be better integrating it into Instagram rather that a competing app.

When you open the app and see a post you want to read and it suddenly refreshes so you lose it and spend ages trying to find it đŸ€Ż is there a way to stop that?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Perhaps I'm following the wrong people or perhaps it just Christmas so the prime time for it but it feels like people are push push pushing ads non stop lately.

Reactions: 6
Has anyone noticed the ‘free trade’ app that some influencers are talking about? Where you invest £1 and make a load of money (mostly by people using your link I think)- surely this constitutes as advertising? Hollie Evelyn and The fit mummy official both posting links to it.

Reactions: 1
Hate the new scrolling down insta stories.

Why do they keep messing with things that people enjoyed!? If I wanted to view videos like tik tok then I would be on tik tok! Are they trying to lose their users?

I’m still not over them removing chronological posts đŸ˜©

Reactions: 5
Hate the new scrolling down insta stories.

Why do they keep messing with things that people enjoyed!? If I wanted to view videos like tik tok then I would be on tik tok! Are they trying to lose their users?

I’m still not over them removing chronological posts đŸ˜©
Same!! I also don't seem to see posts from half my friends which is annoying, they never seem to come up on my feed.

Do teens use Insta ? I thought that was old fashioned now mine are always on Snapchat .TikTok or Discord .

Does anyone know why I have a profile on my insta stories that shows up twice on the list of viewers? It's happened over my last few stories

Followers/Following Q:

Person A shows on my Instagram following list (picture 1)
However when I type in Person A’s exact Instagram handle into my ‘following search bar” (pic 2) they do not show up. Does anyone know why this is?
sorry do you mean you can’t find them on your following list? If so they may have removed you from
Following them but they are still following you

its not like fb where if you remove a friendy you disappear from each others friends list

I only use it to follow some friends an post my art/craft stuff, but not sure I like all this recommended showing up, if I wanted to see all those people then I'd follow them, usually if I do a search as well I'll look at recents, would much rather like the smaller accounts than all these influencers

sorry do you mean you can’t find them on your following list? If so they may have removed you from
Following them but they are still following you

its not like fb where if you remove a friendy you disappear from each others friends list
So I can see Person A on my followers list (their @ and picture) But when I type their @ to search my followers (pic 2) they do not appear

So I can see Person A on my followers list (their @ and picture) But when I type their @ to search my followers (pic 2) they do not appear
They may have blocked you if their name is not showing when you type ,or have you restricted on their account...make another account and see if they show on that then you'll know for sure if you're blocked.

Last edited:
Apparently there was a 'bug' that meant Instagram could watch you through your phone camera. Not sure if it's legit or paranoia but I wouldn't put it past them!

Facebook Accused of Watching Instagram Users Through Cameras
By Robert Burnson
September 18, 2020, 1:16 AM UTC Updated on September 18, 2020, 1:21 AM UTC
User of photo-sharing app files privacy suit in San Francisco
Company blamed bug, which it fixed, for false notifications

Facebook Inc. is again being sued for allegedly spying on Instagram users, this time through the unauthorized use of their mobile phone cameras.

The lawsuit springs from media reports in July that the photo-sharing app appeared to be accessing iPhone cameras even when they weren’t actively being used.

Facebook denied the reports and blamed a bug, which it said it was correcting, for triggering what it described as false notifications that Instagram was accessing iPhone cameras.
In the complaint filed Thursday in federal court in San Francisco, New Jersey Instagram user Brittany Conditi contends the app’s use of the camera is intentional and done for the purpose of collecting “lucrative and valuable data on its users that it would not otherwise have access to.”
By “obtaining extremely private and intimate personal data on their users, including in the privacy of their own homes,” Instagram and Facebook are able to collect “valuable insights and market research,” according to the complaint.
Facebook declined to comment.

In a suit filed last month, Facebook was accused of using facial-recognition technology to illegally harvest the biometric data of its more than 100 million Instagram users. Facebook denied the claim and said that Instagram doesn’t use face recognition technology.
The case is Conditi v. Instagram, LLC, 20-cv-06534, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco).
(Updates with Facebook declining to comment.)
Have a confidential tip for our reporters?
GET IN TOUCH

• Wow
When you open the app and see a post you want to read and it suddenly refreshes so you lose it and spend ages trying to find it đŸ€Ż is there a way to stop that?
I would love to know this too! It’s like a surprise challenge every time to see whether or not I can reign in my ADD đŸ˜©

Otherwise, I like the app because when I’m okay with indulging my ADD it truly is THE place to be. So many artists, musicians, birds, and inter species animal friendships to fall head over heels in love with đŸ„°

• Heart