Huw Edwards #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think we’ll ever see Huw on TV again and if we do it won’t be on the Beeb. I think this has probably broken him.
I can’t imagine him going back to his job at the 10 o’clock news. There’s the reputational damage and yes, there’s also maybe just the toll this has taken on him and his overall health. And the shame! It’s all too sad.

eta: I’m tried to be vague but may as well just say it: there could be lasting brain damage for all we know. 😟 plus heavy medications etc

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
They did go to the Police, that has been confirmed.

However, their concern wasn't necessarily that they thought a crime had been committed. They just wanted large amounts of money to stop being paid (by Huw) to their son, essentially funding their child's drug habit. The criminal aspect came later and was possibly (in my opinion) twisted slightly by The Sun.

*caveated with the usual 'allegedly' etc.
Yeah, I think the Sun intentionally manipulated the story too.
---
Yeah, that's a reasonable question. The BBC said they tried to get in touch, but couldn't. Yes, they probably should have tried more than they did, but it doesn't sound like the parents were making much effort either.
It doesn’t sound like they made any effort to get back in touch. If they had the BBC would have spoke to them when they rang, and if they had avoided their calls the Sun would have definitely reported that.

Reactions: 7
I can’t imagine him going back to his job at the 10 o’clock news. There’s the reputational damage and yes, there’s also maybe just the toll this has taken on him and his overall health. And the shame! It’s all too sad.
But he got caught out.. He would in all likelihood be carrying on with his online activities if the parents hadn't involved a tabloid.
---
Is a potential suicide attempt in these circumstances unexpected? Is it a tragic act or a way to escape shame and dishonour?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
If he has anxiety alongside depression, then definitely.
He's in a position to be able to live his life as he wishes now..away from the media despite the public shaming. I don't feel too sorry for him I'm afraid.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

eta: I’m tried to be vague but may as well just say it: there could be lasting brain damage for all we know. 😟 plus heavy medications etc
Am I missing something? There’s been zero reporting that I’ve seen, on Huw attempting to take his own life. His wife said his mental health has suffered. That’s not the same.

Where have you gotten suicide attempts and brain damage from?! Have I missed something?
Has a recent statement been released..?![/QUOTE]

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Am I missing something? There’s been zero reporting that I’ve seen, on Huw attempting to take his own life. His wife said his mental health has suffered. That’s not the same.

Where have you gotten suicide attempts and brain damage from?! Have I missed something?
Has a recent statement been released..?!
It seems to have come from someone somewhere claiming to have inside information. So, charitably, someone pulled it out of their arse.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I haven’t read up to date but - just as I think the young person’s alleged drug habit and sexual images shouldn’t have been made public information by someone else - I think HE’s alleged suicide attempt shouldn’t have been made public information by someone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I haven’t read up to date but - just as I think the young person’s alleged drug habit and sexual images shouldn’t have been made public information by someone else - I think HE’s alleged suicide attempt shouldn’t have been made public information by someone else.
Yeah agreed. A lot of people on her Twitter saying just that to her. I really think people need to learn when stories are and aren’t theirs to tell.

Reactions: 9
Yes, absolutely. Reading between the lines I think a lot of us gathered there may have been a suicide attempt, but I’ve no idea why that woman has tweeted about it. True or untrue it’s totally inappropriate.

Reactions: 19

Has a recent statement been released..?!
[/QUOTE]
Yes I was wondering about the suicide rumours, his not in good health mentally but it doesn't mean he tried to kill himself, his wife never said that. I doubt if he will come back to the BBC the shame and embarrassment would be too much for him and the mickey taking would be never ending. I was so proud of him that he had become so well known and respected and I was very proud of his achievements. He also did some excellent documentaries about Wales, such a sad end to a great career.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I wasn't stating a fact at all with what I thought could medical consquences of attempted suicide: just catastrophizing 😨 No specifics have been released by HE's camp about his condition.

Reactions: 6
I was so proud of him that he had become so well known and respected and I was very proud of his achievements. He also did some excellent documentaries about Wales, such a sad end to a great career.
I totally get you. It’s not about defending him, but when you like and respect a famous person for their work and then they do something in their private life that you don’t agree with it’s so disappointing and makes it hard to enjoy the work they did.

Not comparing HE to Michael Jackson but there are a couple of MJ albums I really like and I must say I find it a lot harder now to enjoy his music for what it was without thinking about allegations against him. You end up almost mourning the music or content (what ever it may be) that you enjoyed because of what they’ve been up to in their private lives and the end of their career is just tragic from a personal standpoint.

Reactions: 16
I totally get you. It’s not about defending him, but when you like and respect a famous person for their work and then they do something in their private life that you don’t agree with it’s so disappointing and makes it hard to enjoy the work they did.

Not comparing HE to Michael Jackson but there are a couple of MJ albums I really like and I must say I find it a lot harder now to enjoy his music for what it was without thinking about allegations against him. You end up almost mourning the music or content (what ever it may be) that you enjoyed because of what they’ve been up to in their private lives and the end of their career is just tragic from a personal standpoint.
Agree totally I am not defending him and he should have been very aware that as a well known and respected figure someone would trip him up and get a vile rag like The Sun involved, no way was his sordid little secret going to be kept safe for ever.

Reactions: 11
I wouldn't wish anyone to be in a situation where you consider suicide BUT he must have known what he was doing would come to light eventually, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Also regarding the victims parents I imagine they were probably at their wits ends and didn't know what else to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Agree totally I am not defending him and he should have been very aware that as a well known and respected figure someone would trip him up and get a vile rag like The Sun involved, no way was his sordid little secret going to be kept safe for ever.
I don’t think that should even have been his mindset you know.

it shouldn’t be a case of Huw thinking, “man, my career spanning decades could go tits up. I should just not do this because it’s not worth my career”.

it should be the case that Huw thought to himself “hmm, I’m in contact with a young person/teen who has a lot less power and agency than me. I might be actively harming them by using them to fulfil my sexual desires and whims. Maybe I should extend some empathy and humane decency and get my sexual kicks from someone on a more level plying field as me”

His career means duck all to me, frankly. There are lots of high achieving journalists and professionals in the U.K. someone will come in and fill Huws shoes and do just a good a job of it. We have a ton of high achievers who generate huge wealth and influence for themselves. That’s no great contribution to humanity.

We need people from all walks of life to be more empathetic and less apathetic.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I never liked Michael Jackson music , same with Sam Smith and the artist 'Prince' they all have that strange high pitch childish feminine sounding singing voice that goes right through me - its not pleasant to listen to .
I do struggle though to understand what Huw Edwards was regarded and respected for ? ??? he was just another face on telly reding an autocue - i think most tv people are generally like robots and over-paid. Schofield and Naga Munchetty are no different .

Reactions: 5
I never liked Michael Jackson music , same with Sam Smith and the artist 'Prince' they all have that strange high pitch childish feminine sounding singing voice that goes right through me - its not pleasant to listen to .
I do struggle though to understand what Huw Edwards was regarded and respected for ? ??? he was just another face on telly reding an autocue - i think most tv people are generally like robots and over-paid. Schofield and Naga Munchetty are no different .
I agree. I was watching the Westminster panorama investigation and thought it was great. They managed to speak to a lot of relevant witnesses and build a clear picture, and Naga presented it and did the interviews. But the real graft and journalism surely happened behind the scenes? Reaching out to these people, identifying them and getting them to speak on camera?

journalists that probably Will have to wait decades for the Huws, Nagas and Clive’s to retire before they get a chance at a break. They are dead wood at the top who collect huge salaries, endorsement deals and become more celebrity than journalist, becoming complacent, entitled and arrogant in the process.

I don’t think that should even have been his mindset you know.

it shouldn’t be a case of Huw thinking, “man, my career spanning decades could go tits up. I should just not do this because it’s not worth my career”.

it should be the case that Huw thought to himself “hmm, I’m in contact with a young person/teen who has a lot less power and agency than me. I might be actively harming them by using them to fulfil my sexual desires and whims. Maybe I should extend some empathy and humane decency and get my sexual kicks from someone on a more level plying field as me”

His career means duck all to me, frankly. There are lots of high achieving journalists and professionals in the U.K. someone will come in and fill Huws shoes and do just a good a job of it. We have a ton of high achievers who generate huge wealth and influence for themselves. That’s no great contribution to humanity.

We need people from all walks of life to be more empathetic and less apathetic.
ok just don't swear please. But did HE actually start this person off on his chosen career path of exposing himself to older men? Was it HE who approached this lad with all the tech equipment at the ready and asked him to "perform". Was HE the only client that used the services of this young lad? Maybe HE did get his "sexual kicks" from men on a level playing field as well, who knows?

I can’t talk for the Welsh because I am not Welsh, but I believe a lot of Welsh people regarded him well before all this due to that fact that Wales is quite an impoverished part of the UK and having someone from Wales, with a Welsh accent (instead of your average RP) speaking for the UK in such a high up position was just a nice thing to have. He did at least one documentary on Wales, he spoke Welsh fluently and clearly felt very strongly about his country and he was well liked for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.