Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LT31514

Wow I’ve never even heard of some of these! Definitely need to broaden my horizons...

Reactions: 4

Bae56

I use morocanoil which costs about £50 for shampoo and conditioner but might switch as the hydrating shampoo is leaving my hair really knotty. My hair is coarse and Olaplex does nothing to it. Hairdressers never believe me but it doesn’t help at all, they just think you’re being tight not wanting to pay X amount extra for it. My salon used morrocanoil and I get a good finish with it but it’s all in the blow dry, clearly 😩 I swear you could use Alberto Balsam on my hair and it would look the same if it’s blown properly.

Who needs a nagging boyfriend who doesn’t understand hair/skincare prices hey, @Bae56 😂 I’m glad you’ve found something that works for you. I’ve spent over a 🐒 on skincare products in lockdown because I felt awful going out barefaced but too depressed to apply some makeup. My skin was clearing up nicely but now I’m too depressed to follow a proper skincare routine!
My hair was full of knots too, especially just after washing until I used Oribe. Yeah you know what works for your own hair!

I'm sorry you're feeling down 😢 it is difficult to feel motivated . Anything you do whether it's have a nice bath or shower, brush your hair. It's all a positive. You can introduce wee bits of your routine here & there until you feel like you just want to go for it ❤ I know it always gives me a wee lift when I've used one of the nice products, even just my good shower gel that I keep by for times in need. You deserve to feel nice 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Melmoo

Chatty Member
Thanks for being so judgemental & remaining off that high horse but I saved for that & bought it before the pandemic!!

When you're covered in bald patches because of psoriasis & the rest of your hair is falling off I think you're entitled to spend a bit more to help!
We all have things we can justify spending money on. I cut my own hair & I dont get tans, nails, lashes done. So thanks!
What people need to realise is that it's totally up to an individual what you choose to spend your money on. It's about priority Bill's first and then what's left is for treats that are nice or important or comforting to you. I am on a very high income but wouldnt spend that on shampoo or conditioner but not to say I dont understand when people do. The treats I buy myself most others might think blah thats not worth it but so what it's my money same as yours x

Reactions: 3

ChloChlo

VIP Member
I use Mane and Tail shampoo. It is around £3.50 a bottle from a local afro hair shop (I do not have afro hair but it is where I usually see it stocked, often cheaper than online). It's great, works better for my hair than more expensive brands. It made my hair grow thick and fast. It is reported it is actually the shampoo that is raved about rather than the conditioner. I can confirm as I have never used the conditioner.

For conditioner I use the Elvive thickening conditioner in the teal and pink bottle. My hair has improved drastically. Again around £3.50-£4 a bottle.

I also have Loreal Keratese that I sometimes use if I have the time. I cant remember how much it cost but it wasnt cheap.

I also use a leave in conditioner on my ends. Currently the Phil Smith Coconut leave in conditioner. I got several full size bottles which were in a discontinued range sale for only 20p a full sized bottle.

idk2

VIP Member
I use anything by Loreal Elvive - All of them absolutely divine. I have very thick curly hair (which I straighten every single time I wash it every 3 days). My hair has never been damaged or coloured, its my only trait I accept compliments on! I really want to get it coloured but I get so put off with all the horror stories! My sister has been dying her brown hair blonde for the last few years and right now she looks like someone has shat on her head with her blonde roots down to her ears :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Readread

VIP Member
Currently use the OGX biotin & keratin shampoo and conditioner (About £10 for each on offer at boots), with a occasional olaplex no3 (£26) treatment. If I feel I need a deep condition then I use the Garnier papaya hair masque which is about £3.50 when on offer.

I’ve just stopped doing the curly girl method which is a whole different ballgame🥴
Curly girl method seems like so much work. I wish I could be bothered haha.

theghosttown

VIP Member
Thanks for being so judgemental & remaining off that high horse but I saved for that & bought it before the pandemic!!

When you're covered in bald patches because of psoriasis & the rest of your hair is falling off I think you're entitled to spend a bit more to help!
We all have things we can justify spending money on. I cut my own hair & I dont get tans, nails, lashes done. So thanks!
The bloody cheek of someone judging you. If you want to spend £500 on shampoo then more power to you!!!! People probably think I’m mental for the amount I spend on make up and endless skin care but I couldn’t give a shit. You enjoy your shampoo!!! I love their volumising / texturising spray - I would deffo recommend!!

Back to the question anyhoo. I use Maui anti breakage shampoo, I definitely have noticed a difference in my hair. I’m currently at my mums and have had to emergency use treseme and my hair is SOOOOOOOOOOOO frizzy haha. I’m thinking of getting olaplex shampoo and conditioner for once a week.

Does anyone have any recommendation for hair loss? I’ve noticed a tonne of shedding at the moment - I have PCOS X

• Heart

Keepitw0nky

Chatty Member
Faith in Nature Shampoo & conditioner, it’s usually £5. It doesn’t have a lot of the chemicals, silicones, parabens Etc so I feel ok with all of us (children too) using it. On the lower half of my hair I use the Schwarzkopf pro bonacure repair deep conditioner because my hair is long, fine and splits at the ends. That’s £15 for a salon type bottle.

edit: also another reason we use the faith in nature is we can take it to our local zero waste type shop and have the bottles refilled.

under the ivy

VIP Member
I recently went blonde so I've invested in some 'good' shampoo - I use Maria Nila colour, L'oreal Professional Serie Expert Colour and Pureology Hydrate. I mix it up as I find my hair can get a build-up if I use the same shampoo/conditioner. I use a purple shampoo once a week to keep away warm tones (Maria Nila Silver). I've heard good things about the L'oreal Elvive Purple Shampoo which is on offer in Boots at the moment.

Keiffers pipe

I also use the lush bars, they cost around £8 each, and one lasts me around 6 months. Since using them the condition of my hair has improved no end, would highly recommend.
It did take me a few washes to get used to the conditioner bar as my hair is so thick but i wouldn't go back to bottled stuff now.
I will look at these as sound great to reduce plastic waste too

Bae56

What people need to realise is that it's totally up to an individual what you choose to spend your money on. It's about priority Bill's first and then what's left is for treats that are nice or important or comforting to you. I am on a very high income but wouldnt spend that on shampoo or conditioner but not to say I dont understand when people do. The treats I buy myself most others might think blah thats not worth it but so what it's my money same as yours x
Exactly, we're not all clones of each other. There are things we'll all spend our money on that others wouldn't. Pointing the finger is ridiculous. I'm great with money. £100 for shampoo & conditioner that's still going 6 months later is hardly a shocker. That's easily spent in a month on takeaways. Once it runs out I'll buy it again because it's worth every penny 😊 & yes I can still give to others!

It says more about the person passing judgement on someone they know nothing about. Think people need to get over themselves.

@Thecatsmother those microfiber turbins are amazing!
@lexle I had that exact same problem with my hair due to balayage which was over processed. My hair is straight & fine. Smooth on the natural root then frizzy/tangled all the way down. I also have psoriasis which causes the worst tugs. Rusk do an amazing conditioning mask. It might be called Deep Shine but I'll double check. Smells lovely & didn't leave my hair limp. They recently changed the packaging.

Loreal biotin inforcer mask is great too for frizz but it did make my hair limp. Oribe Gold Lust has been a miracle worker for me. I was constantly googling things to help & that kept coming up.
I seldom use any heat on my hair. I use those turbins mentioned above a lot, they make your hair dry so quickly.

Last edited:

Smca53

VIP Member
I’ve tried a lot over the years from the super cheap to the fairly expensive and I’ve never found the expensive ranges to be worth it. I’ve now used Pantene two in one shampoo/conditioner for several years and my hair is in better condition than it was in when I used expensive ranges.

Reactions: 2

Meh

Chatty Member
Agree with Lush bars; great environmentally and I love their wee tins you can get them in. Love taking one to the swimming as well; chlorine really lifts out the hair. Recommend them!

Lush also do good conditioners and treatments.

They do one called R&B - esp good for thick/wavy/natural hair peeps - use as a leave in conditioner. It’s amazing. The tub will last ages as it needs to be used sparingly and... importantly never ever put this near your roots!!! Orrrr your hair will be so lank and greasy feeling you will want to shave it off. 😂 but it’s immense for dry ends.

Olaplex: occasionally get a treatment at the hairdresser and it’s incredible. Bottles for home are about £25 each I believe so pricey. However, I believe they do last ages. I am going to buy the weekly treatment one and keep using my Lush bars as normal.

Shampoos that make me want to chop my hair off and cry:-

Aussie 😭
Treseme (I can feel the lankness just thinking anoint that Satan serum) 💔
Pantene, herbal essences, vosene (massive reaction when I was a kid, blisters and all.🤮)

basically most of the ones down the supermarket aisle.

Not intended in any snobby way; I envy anyone who can use them!! The ££ and ‘mare of a time finding good ones.

So yeah; Lush (most their hair stuff in fairness) and Olaplex.

When I’ve got my hair coloured I like Olaplex or Maria Nila. Absolutely no point paying for awesome colours (purples, reds etc) and using a sulphate laden shampoo. Just strips and dulls the colour right away and leaves hair brittle (well, it does to my mane anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️)

Not so much if a recommendation but I found the Aussie dry shampoo rubbish. I got a trial size of IGK charcoal & I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth the money, its probably only marginally better than Batiste. The smell is nice but maybe a bit sickly.
I hear you. Aussie leaves me hair feeling SO heavy and weighed down with product. Disgusting.

I’m not really into sweet smelling shampoos... attracts wasps and I’m liable to run in front of a f&cking bus trying to get away 😳😳

I have used all of them and never thought any of them made a difference, one of the girls at work uses Fudge shampoo, totally blonde I think it’s called, purple tube, used it tonight for the first time, amazing! Under a tenner on Amazon, I only wash my hair once a week, I wet it every day and use umberto giannini coconut jelly and scrunch it with a diffuser , it’s a beach wave bob.
I am not blonde- naturally very dark with usually dyed hair (purples, red, orange etc) Lush do a purple shampoo called Daddy-O. It is really good. I bought before realising it was for blondes 😂😂 smells really good and was an overall decent shampoo.

Realise I’ve plugged Lush a LOT in my posts here. Not a #ad 😂

Last edited:

Crazycatty

VIP Member
After using head and shoulders for colour hair for most of my life, I’ve just switched to Cantu. I’ve got naturally wavy hair and apparently this works well for curls and coloured hair. I paid around £3.50 per bottle for shampoo and conditioner as it’s on offer at Superdrug at the moment, but I think full price is around £6 a bottle.

Bangerz

I swap and change all the time because when I was a teenager that was the standard advice in J17 - so your hair didn't get "used" to a product 🤷‍♀️. My upper limit is about £20 a bottle, but I'll also use £1 stuff too.

For reference, I have coloured hair (an expensive balayage) which is prone to both grease and frizz so I usually try and get products which are fairly kind to my hair and if they're expensive j see it as protecting the money I've already spent on my colour. I wash my hair every other day or occasionally it's 3 days between washes. Anyway, my verdicts:

Tigi Bed Head - brilliant, but price can be variable so I wait until they're on offer. Good VFM though as huge sizes.

Lush solid bars - love the shampoo, especially the one that is good for psoriasis. I like the way my hair feels after using the conditioner but always find it a bit awkward to actually use. Hair feels super clean after using both.

Bleach toning shampoo and conditioner - about £6 each but can usually get on offer. I use the smokey blonde and it's perfect for livening up my colour in between hairdresser visits. Tend to use once a month, plus the Garnier Ultimate Blends mask (about £4).

Supermarket ones - Treseme, Herbal Essences, Alberto Balsam etc - much of a muchness. Fine as they go, but can tell my hair's not as smooth but not really a problem if I use a decent styling product too.

Bumble and Bumble - I like them, but not more than the Tigi ones I don't think.

Umberto Gianni - forgot about these! I used to leave them so thanks to the poster above who mentioned! Will look out for them in Home Bargains.

Aussie shampoo and conditioner - great, and decent value. I think these actually strengthen my hair too.

I do tend to spend on serum-type products. Bumble and Bumble's oil is good. I like Beauty Protector's Detangling Spray (think can only get via birchbox), Frizz ease and there's a solid coconut wax type thing in a tin from the Bodyshop that lasts FOREVER. You only need the tiniest amount to tame stray hairs.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I use aldis own, I'm a basic bitch. Occasionally I'll treat myself to a hair mask. I've got long auburn hair and it's shiny enough so I don't feel the need to spend more.

Thecatsmother

Curly girl method seems like so much work. I wish I could be bothered haha.
I fully committed to it for well over a year, all my curls literally dropped out to a wave at best when I’ve had tight curls all my life. Washed my hair with cheap shampoo and they all bounced back 🤷‍♀️ Curls are really loving the new routine!

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
I use TIGI Bedhead Urban Antidotes shampoo and conditioner. Can get both 750ml bottles together for £14 online and they last ages. They’re sulphate free and my hair has never felt better since using them.
I love mine too! I'm converted from Mark Hill shampoo that is like £7.50 a bottle for 250ml ... I felt a right mug 😆

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I switched to Oribe 6 months ago & in all honesty it's absolutely worth the price tag. The smell is beautiful.

The Gold Lust range has worked wonders is little over £100 for full size shampoo & conditioner. They do smaller sizes too.

I also use the volume shampoo & conditioner which is around £90. I use the maxamista spray. This stuff really works.
I completely agree with you with regard to Oribe ,😲😲😲it is the best brand despite the exorbitant cost , it transforms my hair. The thickening spray is brilliant and I cry when the bottles run out.