How much do you save?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Easy as the title suggests. How much are you saving? I’m 33 and left a good job in the UK to move abroad for my husband. I now live in a non English speaking country and while I know the language it’s not good enough for a high up job so to speak. So with his job and my (low pay) job, we are managing to save about £800- £1000 a month. Is this pretty similar to others? I have no idea. We try to live off his wages and save mine. I always feel like this isn’t enough for people our age. Please let me know where you’re up to. I’m curious!

Easy as the title suggests. How much are you saving? I’m 33 and left a good job in the UK to move abroad for my husband. I now live in a non English speaking country and while I know the language it’s not good enough for a high up job so to speak. So with his job and my (low pay) job, we are managing to save about £800- £1000 a month. Is this pretty similar to others? I have no idea. We try to live off his wages and save mine. I always feel like this isn’t enough for people our age. Please let me know where you’re up to. I’m curious!
Most people are in debt so -minus every month. I'd say you are doing well 👍

Reactions: 12
I'm 24 and earn around 1,400 each month. Have been saving £50 per month but realised how completely tit that is compared to what I earn so aiming for £300 this month (y)

Reactions: 8
Absolutely nothing. Lucky if I still have £1 to my name the week after payday.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I'm 24 and earn around 1,400 each month. Have been saving £50 per month but realised how completely tit that is compared to what I earn so aiming for £300 this month (y)
I wish I had started saving more at your age, you definitely won’t regret it! Mine used to be wasted on buying lunch everyday. My mum would make me a sandwich and I’d always throw it away. Now I live abroad I’d give anything to have some homemade food by my mum.

Reactions: 8
Nothing. It's bad, I run out of money and don't know how. But I do have savings which mainly comes from family

Reactions: 1
Some months are better than others. Recently savings have been used for house stuff and replacing items etc so they are sitting at £150. I aim to save £325 a month if I can but last year I had to withdraw it almost every month. I've dropped money in my new job so may need to reassess that. My share of the bills is £1000 a month. That doesn't include petrol, union fees, mobile phone, registration fees for job though.

Some months are better than others. Recently savings have been used for house stuff and replacing items etc so they are sitting at £150. I aim to save £325 a month if I can but last year I had to withdraw it almost every month. I've dropped money in my new job so may need to reassess that. My share of the bills is £1000 a month. That doesn't include petrol, union fees, mobile phone, registration fees for job though.
I think even if you’re having to withdraw it, at least the momentum is there to save and the intention. We have to dip into ours frequently too, and things are really expensive where I live compared to in the UK. I’m still in Europe.

I think even if you’re having to withdraw it, at least the momentum is there to save and the intention. We have to dip into ours frequently too, and things are really expensive where I live compared to in the UK. I’m still in Europe.
I put money away every month for my daughter and that never gets touched. So in a way I'm saving but for her future, not mine. Once I've paid off my home renovation loan I'll be able to focus on saving more. Where are you living?

I wish I had started saving more at your age, you definitely won’t regret it! Mine used to be wasted on buying lunch everyday. My mum would make me a sandwich and I’d always throw it away. Now I live abroad I’d give anything to have some homemade food by my mum.
I wish I had started saving years ago!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I put money away every month for my daughter and that never gets touched. So in a way I'm saving but for her future, not mine. Once I've paid off my home renovation loan I'll be able to focus on saving more. Where are you living?
I’m currently in Belgium. It’s an expensive place to live, even clothes for example are all imported in so we pay a lot more. One example being Superdry, a hoodie over here will cost about 90 euros for an equivalent in the UK that is around £40. We pay a lot of tax over here on salary and we don’t have shops like dunelm, home bargains, next, b&m. So whereas in England I could go stock up on home cleaning products and go to dunelm and get nice bedding, cushions, kitchenware for a good price. Here everything is an independent store and we don’t have a huge amount of chain shops, so then you pay more. They’re used to it here but when me and my husband come back home I bring back fairy liquid and alsorts with me 😂

Reactions: 3
nothing at all!! my bf loves to spend! but ive told him this year is a saving year. I play on saving £400 a month but this is all out spare money after bills ect. I have allowed for £40 each a month spare but I can see him spending my £40 as well as his, I never spend money on myself EVER. its always the house, him or the cats my money goes on but I want to have a fund in place for car emergencies, if one of us is off sick from work(we don't get sick pay) ect x

Reactions: 6
I’m currently in Belgium. It’s an expensive place to live, even clothes for example are all imported in so we pay a lot more. One example being Superdry, a hoodie over here will cost about 90 euros for an equivalent in the UK that is around £40. We pay a lot of tax over here on salary and we don’t have shops like dunelm, home bargains, next, b&m. So whereas in England I could go stock up on home cleaning products and go to dunelm and get nice bedding, cushions, kitchenware for a good price. Here everything is an independent store and we don’t have a huge amount of chain shops, so then you pay more. They’re used to it here but when me and my husband come back home I bring back fairy liquid and alsorts with me 😂
😂😂😂😂 Can only imagine, never been myself. Been to Reykjavik and the price of some stuff was a joke 😂

• Haha
Previously last year nothing as used all savings buy a house and renovate.
I hate it as makes me feel insecure but it's a struggle to save.
It means we reguarly use credit card for emergencies.
Been reading Dave Ramsey and want to build up 1k emergency fund.
Also I say most years I'm saving for Xmas and never do then get annoyed with myself.
Signed up for Lloyds save the change account.
Started another local savings account for Xmas.
We still want to do stuff around the house.
The kids have some trip expenses coming up that we are aware of so doing the penny challenge to see if that can find majority of the trips.
Would also love to save a birthdays/back to school funds as again it's like Xmas it's and time every year and then we struggle those months.
The car is costing a bit lately and mot is due for spring as find it's the random things each month broke washing machine, new tyres that push us into the red.
Would love family holiday abroad next year.
My initial plan not started until next month as Jan pay awful is try and cut back on spending to allow us to save more.
Also try and up income with side hustled and possibly some part time work in autumn.

Previously last year nothing as used all savings buy a house and renovate.
I hate it as makes me feel insecure but it's a struggle to save.
It means we reguarly use credit card for emergencies.
Been reading Dave Ramsey and want to build up 1k emergency fund.
Also I say most years I'm saving for Xmas and never do then get annoyed with myself.
Signed up for Lloyds save the change account.
Started another local savings account for Xmas.
We still want to do stuff around the house.
The kids have some trip expenses coming up that we are aware of so doing the penny challenge to see if that can find majority of the trips.
Would also love to save a birthdays/back to school funds as again it's like Xmas it's and time every year and then we struggle those months.
The car is costing a bit lately and mot is due for spring as find it's the random things each month broke washing machine, new tyres that push us into the red.
Would love family holiday abroad next year.
My initial plan not started until next month as Jan pay awful is try and cut back on spending to allow us to save more.
Also try and up income with side hustled and possibly some part time work in autumn.
I’m doing a save the change too, I started in October and already got about £70 in, not much but I don’t notice it going out.

Reactions: 2
I’m doing a save the change too, I started in October and already got about £70 in, not much but I don’t notice it going out.
The lady at the bank said she saved 200 without even trying hopefully if link to mine and my husbands accounts we can save some money without too much hardship.
Same with penny challenge.
Also this year might try use cashback sites more and see if there's a nice sum in there end if year to buy something we need for the house .
Actually talking lump sum from wage and putting it in separate account doesn't work too well.
Trick is standing order on pay day so it's gone and I might force husband to do this as we recently negotiated for next 6months £50 savings on phone.
Sharesaves can be great way to save if employer offers that option.
Credit unions have Xmas savings which seems better than park as more flexible can vouchers.
Post office also do Xmas savings but thats voucher.
Did shops still do food stamps but most moved onto gift cards.
Think tesco Morrisons Iceland and farmfoods still do stamps to save towards Xmas shop.

My expenses are higher than my wage so I usually end up having to borrow money.
That’s fun.

• Sad