How much do you save?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
£1000 a month is a lot to save each month. What are you saving up for? House/holidays/kids? Do you not have a pension? I'm not sure I see the point of saving so much money (probably why I'll never be rich!!).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Nothing. Currently living rent free, thanks to my partner's father, to enable us to pay £1,000 a month off debt. See post #31 in the "How much debt are you actually in?" thread.

I am thinking of setting up a standing order each month for Christmas 2020 although Christmas just gone, we actually did alright and didn't put anything on credit card for the first time in ten years except hiring a car plus a few other expenses (we had to go abroad for a non negotiable family event) and we have already paid that off.

I saved £20 this month and was so pleased with myself! But now my daughters school bag has broken and I'm trying not to get it back out of my savings 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 6
£1000 a month is a lot to save each month. What are you saving up for? House/holidays/kids? Do you not have a pension? I'm not sure I see the point of saving so much money (probably why I'll never be rich!!).
no kids and we don’t want them either, have a small mortgage. we usually go on a big holiday once a year and will take some money out for that. We both have a pension, I guess we just don’t have a lot of outgoings.

Reactions: 4
Anywhere between £100-£300 monthly and then £50 goes into our sons account monthly too. I don’t work at the moment (SAHM) and my partner doesn’t earn loads. After bills we have around £600 left over for the month.

Reactions: 2
Nothing at the minute. Currently on mat leave 😳 As soon as I start back and earning a decent wage were going to try and save most of my wages a month (weve been ok, not in overdrafts but being sensible) and try and save up for a buy to let. At this rate the way houses are going up and up our kids will never be able to get on the ladder. Hopefully it will give our kids a good start.

Reactions: 1
We save £1500 a month, my husband earns a very good wage in a full time job and I am part time.

• Heart
Percentage wise I save 12% of my salary annually and we overpay our mortgage by 10% (the maximum before charges occur) annually too. I pay 9% of my salary into a pension and it is matched by my employer.

My husband and I have lived frugally for years as we had kids young whilst studying and then accrued more debt than most as our degrees are longer than average. So our priority was paying down our debt and once we paid that off we continue to live frugally as our next aim is to pay off our mortgage by 45 (we are both 36).

It’s worth having a read of something like the money saving expert forums for ways to save and cut back.

I’ve just added one of those change saver things to my Lloyd’s bank account. It rounds up every pound you save and saves the change. I’ve already saved £12 this week with that method and I didn’t have to do anything.

I save nothing 🙈 I used to have savings due to inheritance and bought my home so I’m mortgage free. However, my bills, child care etc just make it all disappear each month. Quite depressing really when you think about it 😭

I'm 28.

I don't save a set amount each month per se. I'm still studying for my second degree and have one more year left to go before I can start working, but I saved £25 a month over 10 years which I can finally access now and have just under 3.8k in another account which I want to use to buy my own home.

I spend a lot on therapy- though my T does see me for £30 less than his usual hourly charge fee.

Percentage wise I save 12% of my salary annually and we overpay our mortgage by 10% (the maximum before charges occur) annually too. I pay 9% of my salary into a pension and it is matched by my employer.

My husband and I have lived frugally for years as we had kids young whilst studying and then accrued more debt than most as our degrees are longer than average. So our priority was paying down our debt and once we paid that off we continue to live frugally as our next aim is to pay off our mortgage by 45 (we are both 36).

It’s worth having a read of something like the money saving expert forums for ways to save and cut back.

I’ve just added one of those change saver things to my Lloyd’s bank account. It rounds up every pound you save and saves the change. I’ve already saved £12 this week with that method and I didn’t have to do anything.
We are mortgage free. Best feeling in the world. SECURITY.

• Heart
We don’t save as such (although we have about £12k in savings which came from inheritance, house sale, etc ) but we pay around £1k into our pensions each month. We also pay £160 each month into our kids savings accounts (there are 4 of them so it’s not that much each).

We are mortgage free. Best feeling in the world. SECURITY.
This is what I can’t wait for.
We are very sadly about to lose a relative and will inherit money from him, he has told us to “stuff it in the bloody mortgage, it will feel amazing”, bless him.

Why do people not want to say how much they save because it will reveal who they are? My sleuthing skills are obviously not very good. Lol

I save £700 a month, straight out on payday. Move my ‘disposable’ income to a different account and leave enough in my main bank account for all my direct debits / bills. I’m fortunate enough to still live at home for free, which I know makes it much easier than for most.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Why do people not want to say how much they save because it will reveal who they are? My sleuthing skills are obviously not very good. Lol

I save £700 a month, straight out on payday. Move my ‘disposable’ income to a different account and leave enough in my main bank account for all my direct debits / bills. I’m fortunate enough to still live at home for free, which I know makes it much easier than for most.
I personally didn't want to say as I don't think it would make those struggling feel good 🤷

I read somewhere that a good place to aim for with your monthly is:-

50% needs (bills etc)
30% wants
20% save

I don’t live by this but check myself against it every so often to see how I’m doing