How much do you earn?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As an accountant, I have to speak with banks and colleagues from all over the world. Favourite part of my job. Tell your sister that we do not sit in a darkened room with an abacus.....
That made me laugh. I’m wondering if she wants the career to herself as due to being same age people always compare us. X

Reactions: 1
Can I ask if anyone has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. My daughter is doing her A levels this year, and wants to do this degree; and then join the RAF. Any opinions anyone? Thanks.

That made me laugh. I’m wondering if she wants the career to herself as due to being same age people always compare us. X
Ha ha. Some people really think us accountants are boring.....

I love hearing about all the different jobs!
I have posted this before but I am a teacher on around £36000
I love hearing too. It is such a taboo subject. My cousin is married to a solicitor. He is now a judge and on a fantastic salary. I occasionally google his name and giggle at his pronouncements about people who have misbehaved whilst drunk. I remember a wedding we went to and he was drunk as a skunk, granted about twenty years ago. He was gracious enough to say that accountancy exams are so much harder than law exams..... he puked up over my shoes the next night!! Lol.

Last edited:
Can I ask if anyone has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. My daughter is doing her A levels this year, and wants to do this degree; and then join the RAF. Any opinions anyone? Thanks.
Jump at the chance and don’t look back. Constantly evolving career as she’ll have to retrain regularly as they phase out and bring in new aircraft. Never be bored, a career for life. Be aware it is a way of life, too.

I earn 50k + bonus & benefits. I’m 30, can’t disclose my industry.

I’m so conflicted. I’ve considered accountancy as my sister does it. She likes to tell me I’m too much of a “people person” and she’s the one suited to it.

I was a PA for a few years and would love to get back into it and struggle now as lost the experience. I work as civil servant so do have transferable skills. I’d love to to be a private PA for a HNWI or family x
Having worked for a HNWI i would say its like all jobs - personality is so important. I've worked for people that have treated me like dirt and people that have treated me like a respected professional, ally and confident. when you work for a HNWI you don't keep your own schedule - you work to their schedule, you're always 'on'. I used to get phone calls on Sunday morning at 4am because his driver in Argentina (or wherever) hadn't come round the corner yet. But the perks can be amazing - you travel with them often and deal with some interesting and powerful individuals. Its a job best suited to people without any family commitments in my opinion xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Mechanical engineering is a superb qualification to have and it opens up a lot of doors in a lot of industries.

Having worked for a HNWI i would say its like all jobs - personality is so important. I've worked for people that have treated me like dirt and people that have treated me like a respected professional, ally and confident. when you work for a HNWI you don't keep your own schedule - you work to their schedule, you're always 'on'. I used to get phone calls on Sunday morning at 4am because his driver in Argentina (or wherever) hadn't come round the corner yet. But the perks can be amazing - you travel with them often and deal with some interesting and powerful individuals. Its a job best suited to people without any family commitments in my opinion xx

When I was a PA I often had to manage private diaries as well and I found this to be a completely different challenge.

I once got a call on a Saturday evening because one of my bosses had flew into London and the wifi in his 5* hotel wasn’t working quick enough. Had to arrange a hotel move.

I’m single with no massive commitments still which is one of the reasons I fancied the role again.

Reactions: 3
I would never have the balls to ask anyone this in real life, but since we are all anonymous and I'm a nosy bugger, why the hell not😂 you don't have to answer if you don't want to!

I'm a secondary school teacher and earn £40,000. How about you?

Will soon be graduating as an allied health professional, starting salary will be just under £25,000.

Legal secretary on £18,500 - hoping for a payrise soon as I've taken on a fair bit more responsibility in recent months so I'm hoping that will be noticed in my appraisal. I feel a bit cheeky asking directly for one though!

hoping for a payrise soon as I've taken on a fair bit more responsibility in recent months. I feel a bit cheeky asking directly for one though!
That’s sadly true of a lot of women, but strangely doesn’t seem to bother men 🤔 I’d be ready to set out your case for the additional work you’ve taken on. Make sure you have examples of meeting or exceeding deadlines and if possible, any positive feedback you’ve received (preferably in written form). Look at the rate of inflation, consider any changes in tax and then make a sensible % suggestion. The worst they can say is no and give a reason, but the legal trade won’t have been badly hit by Covid I’d expect.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I start my new job next month. After the 10 week training period I’ll be on £24,700. My last job as a bar manager literally paid me less than £1000 a month so I’m beyond excited to be earning a proper salary 🤩

Reactions: 11
I’m an administrator, I’m on 18.3k at the moment. My fiancé is an IT engineer and he’s earning 37k. We are 25 and 27 respectively.

the area we live in though is lower wages and lower costs of living.

Reactions: 2
I've started a new job which pays a lot less than I was earning before. I now make around £22,000 for my band. I am actually happy at work now though!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Band 2 administrator for the NHS - £18K
Depending on the years of service salary will increase slightly.
I know I can’t complain because I have a stable job but I get down sometimes thinking other people my age are on much higher salaries with the same skillsets.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.