How much do you earn?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Eek... go on then, I’ll play.
I only work 20 hours a week as a proofreader/ copy editor but as I also have a share holding in the business and also receive dividends from property we rent to another business, my gross income last year was £76,000. My husband has his own business but we tend to keep our finances separate.
I wish I could work full time bad sadly I’ve been pretty sick these last few years; just being alive is a bonus and I get to enjoy my 8 year old son a bit more.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
But you’re not just “sitting at home on your laptop”, like you said you studied hard and worked hard to get where you are! And your job is needed just as much. Yes people like me (Nurses etc) don’t earn massive money but we knew that when choosing this job (or career if I can). The over time for extra money and long days on our feet etc are just part of the job. However it is nice to feel valued / hear people think we do a worthwhile and somewhat underpaid job, even if it has taken this awful pandemic to bring that to light. But anyway what I’m trying to say is you deserve all you have worked for! It’s nice to understand others situations though isn’t it.

However I do agree on “influencers”, a complete insult to any hard working person.
Thank you

I’ve worked in finance for around 15 years (AAT) I’ve always been stuck around £25k a year as a finance assistant. I’ve just started studying for my CIMA (am in my late 30’s), if you don’t mind me asking - which industry/sector do you work in? Thankyou for the insight, has confirmed to me I am doing the right thing spending the time and money on my education x
Sorry for my late reply.
I work in the the Pharma industry, in the South East.
Pharma and IT pay the best.
Best of luck with your exams, they are tough but well worth it.
When I am recruiting and see people have done these exams, it is a big plus from me.
All the very best. X

Reactions: 1
This is the going rate in Cornwall, my oh, self employed fully trained mechanic,could only get £20 ph, that was providing his own vehicle, tools, and public liability, now he's on £12 ph driving a machine in a mundane job.

Also If you’ve been there a few years you’d get a decent redundancy- if you move it’s last in, first out.
Is that the norm, 'last in, first out?' If so I feel very lucky to still be there 9 years later! I joined my company just months before things went bad and redundancies happened. I was last in. Our company chose people based on sickness record, appraisals, disciplinaries, etc so I was saved.

This is such an interesting thread. I work in finance doing 28hours a week and earn roughly £70k a year.

Ps. Sending lots of love to all the key workers out there ❤

Reactions: 2
Just totted up my earnings for October, and it was just shy of £6k.

The last few months have been very busy, probably due to a lot of people working from home and wanting new hardware and software set up, along with needing out-of-hours support.

So am pleased, but definitely long & frustrating hours at times.

Reactions: 3
My salary has changed ever so slightly since I last posted it. Now base salary just under £22k - senior level, East of England. Yearly salary somewhere around £26k with all the overtime I do (most of my overtime is not optional, as I work with animals, I have to work 2 weekends a month), weekends are double pay. Not the best salary, but my hubby and I (he has the same job, same pay) manage to save at least £1.5k a month so it's more than enough for us, and we enjoy what we do, for the most part!
You also have the option to work Christmas day and New years day, which is paid at X 3.5 times (you only work about 5 hours on those days, so home for Christmas dinner)!

My salary has changed ever so slightly since I last posted it. Now base salary just under £22k - senior level, East of England. Yearly salary somewhere around £26k with all the overtime I do (most of my overtime is not optional, as I work with animals, I have to work 2 weekends a month), weekends are double pay. Not the best salary, but my hubby and I (he has the same job, same pay) manage to save at least £1.5k a month so it's more than enough for us, and we enjoy what we do, for the most part!
You also have the option to work Christmas day and New years day, which is paid at X 3.5 times (you only work about 5 hours on those days, so home for Christmas dinner)!
My teenage daughter would love to work with animals but says the salary is too low...

My teenage daughter would love to work with animals but says the salary is too low...
That is true. I don't want to go into details about my job for reasons I can't say, but I wanted to work with animals since I was small. This exact job was never what I wanted to do or saw myself doing. The pay is probably one of the best in the animal field, apart from the veterinary route - I couldn't be a vet, veterinary nursing I considered, but from people I know who've done it, the pay does not seem worth the stress!
I do adore the animals. Any job with animals obviously requires empathy, and I just enjoy caring for them, and my colleagues are all like-minded so we are like a big family.

Reactions: 4
That is true. I don't want to go into details about my job for reasons I can't say, but I wanted to work with animals since I was small. This exact job was never what I wanted to do or saw myself doing. The pay is probably one of the best in the animal field, apart from the veterinary route - I couldn't be a vet, veterinary nursing I considered, but from people I know who've done it, the pay does not seem worth the stress!
I do adore the animals. Any job with animals obviously requires empathy, and I just enjoy caring for them, and my colleagues are all like-minded so we are like a big family.
That is a lovely post.

I take home £2300 a month (London, office job).

I was getting £3500 in my previous role (same employer). Strangely, I got promoted and took a massive pay cut. But work/life balance is much better.

And I’ve got a relatively stable life/job. Have my own place etc Pay cut just meant less handbags!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I take home £2300 a month (London, office job).

I was getting £3500 in my previous role (same employer). Strangely, I got promoted and took a massive pay cut. But work/life balance is much better.

And I’ve got a relatively stable life/job. Have my own place etc Pay cut just meant less handbags!
I hope you don't get many more promotions, or you'll end up paying them to work there.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I work for a charity. I’m a head of department and earn 27k in the south east of England. Never had a pay rise. No one ever goes into the charity sector for the money but it’s getting hard to live on now. I absolutely love my job it’s so rewarding and my colleagues are (on the whole) brilliant people, but I am going to look to move on next year as I know I am worth more now.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve worked in finance for around 15 years (AAT) I’ve always been stuck around £25k a year as a finance assistant. I’ve just started studying for my CIMA (am in my late 30’s), if you don’t mind me asking - which industry/sector do you work in? Thankyou for the insight, has confirmed to me I am doing the right thing spending the time and money on my education x
I'm a qualified accountant (CIMA) in the South. Earn 53k plus 10k average bonus. I did AAT first aswell. CIMA will boost your earnings no doubt!. Iv been qualified for 3 years now. Earnings were 22k with AAT alone and have gone up to 53k in 6 years.

Reactions: 2
I'm a qualified accountant (CIMA) in the South. Earn 53k plus 10k average bonus. I did AAT first aswell. CIMA will boost your earnings no doubt!. Iv been qualified for 3 years now. Earnings were 22k with AAT alone and have gone up to 53k in 6 years.
I am in the South East and now on c.£73k (ACCA), my job is very easy and I feel very fortunate.

I am in awe of some of these wages. I’m embarrassed to say mine so I won’t. I do an office based job (usually, except covid has changed that), full time, my workload has increased a lot as to when I first started but the wage hasn’t. I have no qualifications and not much experience other than this job and I felt lucky to have it but now reading here, I don’t feel lucky or appreciated at all. I would like to study for a qualification but I have no idea what “in” 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.