How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Civil servant, £42,000. Currently have very little to do currently and feeling quite guilty about it. Working in a new directorate that’s just been set up, everything’s still a bit up in the air, so peaks and troughs work wise.
Waiting to hear news of a promotion which would put me on £53,000 which I’d be quite happy to have.

Its not as simple as just leaving the civil service, you still need people to do a lot of these jobs. In the time Ive worked in the civil service, all Ive seen is experienced members of staff leaving which in turn means the general public aren't getting the service they need/require

We're often dealing with really vulnerable people and if you have no dealings with the Government or rely on top up benefits or disability benefits to survive you dont understand how bad things are at the moment.

Experienced members of staff are leaving due to the wage issue, my department has saw them leave in droves for better paid jobs and good for them but it leaves the issue who is stepping in and doing their job now?

There was a huge issue recently with delayed State Pension payments and its because they are so under resourced and under experienced.

Are there people who join the CS because theyre lazy? Absolutely but I also see people battling daily to try and make a difference for the people they serve. The majority of lower paid staff members have strict targets in their roles and it is managed if you dont meet them. The sickness policies are not overly generous like the media would have you believe, there are next to no civil servants these days sitting on paid sick for months and months on end and you will be managed out quite quickly even if you have a serious illness like cancer 😬😳

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Recently got a pay rise so now on 30k a year. I’m 24 so happy with that, my role is Monday - Friday 9-5 and I get good benefits like private health care! Including my bonus it brings my wage up to between 33-35k

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm curious do you think there's an income level you have to reach first before having kids?
No, its more to do with the bills you have to pay.

make sure you’ve got some savings behind you and your mortgage on a fixed rate, or a decent tenancy if you rent. If you're organised and you know what your costs are going to be then you can plan ahead.

children actually cost very little if you’re a SAHM, it’s the paraphernalia you'll buy in the early years, but you can get plenty of decent stuff second hand And of course days out, things to do, that’s what costs you money.

if you go back to work childcare will be a big outgoing.

—-

I currently earn zilch as I’m brushing up on my bookkeeping skills and going self employed. Hope to be on £24k this time next year, part time.
---
Just over £22,500 a year as a civil servant.
At least I know where my umpteenth mortgage increase will go - enjoy your bonuses bankers! 👍🏻
Did you not fix because you thought rates would stay low? Can you fix now?

Last edited:
Just got a new job as an accountant on £68k plus 10% bonus. Pay raise of 8k so happy with that. I'm 30 and about where I want to be money wise. Basically the most money I can earn with the least amount of responsibility. New role has no management responsibilities whereas I managed a team of 3 now.

Bf is 36 and earns 80k plus 20% bonus as a finance manager.

Reactions: 4
I think I need to unfollow this thread because it is depressing me so much to realise how little I make?! I'm being fucked 😫

Reactions: 15
Unsure if this is classed as off topic or not, but does anyone do / have any side hustles?

I'm a graphic designer part time so would love to know if anyone else does anything alongside their 9-5?

Reactions: 4
QUOTE="LifeOfMog, post: 15741367, member: 306382"]
Unsure if this is classed as off topic or not, but does anyone do / have any side hustles?

I'm a graphic designer part time so would love to know if anyone else does anything alongside their 9-5?

Would be a good idea for a new thread.
Trying to set one up...

Reactions: 2
QUOTE="LifeOfMog, post: 15741367, member: 306382"]

Would be a good idea for a new thread.
Trying to set one up...
[/QUOTE
I think there was one for side hustles but maybe I'm misremembering.

I think I've done it

• Heart
Reactions: 3
£30k in marketing (3 years experience) … work 4 day week. Can work In the office or from home. Work around the kids , so can do drop offs and pick ups. Pay day lunch, free parking and lots of other perks!

£30k in marketing (3 years experience) … work 4 day week. Can work In the office or from home. Work around the kids , so can do drop offs and pick ups. Pay day lunch, free parking and lots of other perks!
I was in marketing.. then got fired from my first job after a month and a half.. lol off topic but any advice?