Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
i’ve posted in here before but i got promoted!
so from an enquiry manager at 22k, i’m now officially in my first marketing role! only at 24k for now but as my skills increase, as will the pay.
if anyone if unsure on what they want to do as a career and they are creatively inclined, i’d highly recommend marketing. i love my job.

p.s. i’m 22 :)

• Heart
Reactions: 13

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
£27k, but only 35 hours per week, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays, easy stress free job, no dependants, small mortgage of £450 per month. Bliss.

Homebird44

VIP Member
We've just had a pay rise. Our union had to get involved as it wasn't happening. I've now gone from 20k to 26k with 36 days annual leave. It's an extra £350 a month in my pay which is amazing but with food prices and train fares I haven't spent a penny of it yet. I'm not complaining as I'm in a better position then a lot of people.

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Dad that grew up with nothing that wanted to give his children everything and there is nothing wrong with that.
I will do the same for my children for as long as I need to or can. I often get this exact reaction but I would like you to know there isn’t a single thing wrong with it. I still choose to work and invest my money correctly though I do not need to.
I completely agree.

I don’t work (full time student), my dad pays for my uni accommodation, bills, food etc.

There’s nothing wrong with your parents providing for you if they are happy to do so. Don’t understand the backlash at all tbh 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
Son's just been accepted on to a grad scheme with a global bank and will be starting on a salary of £40k +£5k starting bonus ( aged 22!) he's got a 2:1 BSc in Geography and Environmental Science ....I have 30+ yrs nursing experience and don't get paid that much
If I may give some advice, he should make sure he is contributing as much as he can to his pension (maxing his employer match if that's how his scheme operates - it's tempting in London to prioritise saving for a house which is not a bad approach but those early contributions will really grow), he should also try to avoid lifestyle creep as his salary grows. The City lifestyle isn't for everyone for life and so making the most of your earning power while you can to build your pension pot and save for a house is so important as it really will pay dividends later.

Reactions: 12

Shinythings

VIP Member
Christ, looking at this thread you'd think the UK average salary was 60k. Seems like there's a disproportionate amount of high earners here. Not that I'm insanely jealous or anything 🤔🙄

Emlo

This is insane to me. My partner is within the Band 8 scale in the NHS. Works 37.5 hours per week and earns in excess of this.

I am so sorry :(
Thank you! Of course the hope is that future earning potential will be better.

For context I have been a fully qualified doctor since 2017 but am still one of those so called “junior doctors” and will be for at least 2 years more. And bear in mind the “NHS payrise” earlier this year didn’t include us!

Also so far this year I have had to pay for GMC registration (£161), defence union (£85), RCGP membership (£291), exams (£470 this year and then if I pass next years exam costs over £1000, any failures will pay again).

Not to mention my £76,000 worth of student debt 🙃

• Sad
  • Heart

Rxt156

VIP Member
It's funny that most people don't want to discuss salary. It's always so taboo! Maybe because it can come across as bragging?

I haven't said what I earn on here, even though it's anonymous. It doesn't feel right for me to say it. 😂
You say it’s funny people don’t want to discuss then you won’t discuss 🤣

• Haha

Homebird44

VIP Member
Once again, I am going to sound harsh, but in my opinion cutting holidays and cutting parking spaces is better than cutting jobs.
I get 25 days annual leave a year. I have to use them as its contractual. Parking isn't their problem, especially as the managers have kept their spaces. I have requested a day off in two months time and as a few others are off I can't have it. Its a special event, not just a day at home. They don't care, just see a list of people all requesting the same day and I'm on the bottom of the list. I now have to miss my family event, or its a disciplinary. They have given me no option to leave.

• Sad
  • Wow

elloelloello

VIP Member
Base salary is 26k a year working in customer services WFH. Not where I want to be in life in my late twenties but I suppose it could be worse, but I feel like I have no real qualifications or prospects atm. Considering studying to get into HR. My partner on the other hand earns 120k and he’s 30. Everything he earns we save so we live how we have always lived before he earnt the money he’s on now.
He’s hoping we can save enough so he can quit his job and start his own business in the sector he works in. I’m hoping this all works out and I can be part of this, helping him with payroll/admin side of things so we can eventually work together and have a family business 🤞🏼

• Heart

pandysbox

I didn’t go to uni and I don’t need anyone to feel sorry for me. I had and still have a fantastic social life

jstrawberry1234

Dental nurse £21000 a year. Severely underpaid and overworked. Many dental nurses are choosing to leave the career as there is no room for progression, paid minimum wage, overworked, and can get paid more per hour working at a supermarket. Ridiculous to say we have to pay for CPD, registration and train for 2 years to be able to do the job.

• Heart
  • Sad

tagliatelle

New job — same sector but a competitor — and I now earn £83k + bonus. Honestly I feel like a fraud.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

abc i like tea

150k, studied dentisty in london (was paid for by my parents which definitely helped since I came out of uni with little debt). Did a pg in dental surgery. Worked in nhs for 3 years till I found somewhere to practice privately. Was able to open my own clinic in London after 7 years of experience. I do bring in extra money by editing videos for some advertising companies at a lower rate tHan some would ask. For those looking to bring in extra money- look at side hustles that you enjoy!

• Heart
  • Wow

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
This is the dream! An excellent salary with very reasonable hours and hopefully you like your workplace as well.

This might be a stage of life thing but I've also found that as I entered my 30s, the disparity in income and lifestyle between my old friends and I have widened considerably and it's definitely led to some tensions, even though I never share my salary or talk much about my work unless it's stuff like a tough client or long working hours recently. People will always assume based on what you do and my partner also can't help but sometimes share how proud he is of me for my professional accomplishments, and that definitely makes things awkward with some people in his circle as well.
Get better friends.

Tabitha

VIP Member
I think everyone has to remember that those who earn the most usually shout about it the most on these types of threads. I see it on Reddit all the time.
Although it doesn’t seem like it, those who earn high amounts here are still in the country’s minority. There are literally people here in the top 1%. It’s incomparable to the normal person.
48A2E2C2-F4A0-4E25-BB24-27716FD2C1E9.jpeg

This pyramid excludes anyone on less than £16k/earn nothing which is a lot of people, so it is still not completely accurate.
Anyone who is earning something is doing ok.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow