How much debt are you actually in?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
None!
And I rent my home because it works out cheaper than buying and maintaining one.
I don’t earn tonnes of money but I’m careful with what I have.

Reactions: 1
But what happens when you retire?
That’s why I pay into a private pension and invest in things that make me money! I invested the money I had for a deposit to make me more money, a house I live in wouldn’t make me money, I’d just die and the government would take it away from any next of kin I might have.

Reactions: 3
Why has someone reacted with a sick face because I've said that I've got no debt or mortgage?! 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Why has someone reacted with a sick face because I've said that I've got no debt or mortgage?! 😂
I don’t think it’s that uncommon? My mum is in zero debt herself. She’s actually in credit with most things 😂

Reactions: 4
Hahahaha standard jealousy probably! Anytime I try and show someone the maths of why I rent and not buy (there’s a £300 a month difference as in cheaper to rent, before you add in any maintenance etc) they just don’t get it because they’ve been programmed that you’re a fail if you don’t own a home. I’m not going into the nitty gritty on here but I’m personally much better off renting than buying. Not the same for all I know but no one understands how it’s possible.
I’m with you, I don’t have debt because personally if I can’t afford to buy something outright then I don’t have it. Only thing I’ve had on finance is a £10k car, which I paid off within a year so I didn’t pay the interest on it.

Reactions: 9
Hahahaha standard jealousy probably! Anytime I try and show someone the maths of why I rent and not buy (there’s a £300 a month difference as in cheaper to rent, before you add in any maintenance etc) they just don’t get it because they’ve been programmed that you’re a fail if you don’t own a home. I’m not going into the nitty gritty on here but I’m personally much better off renting than buying. Not the same for all I know but no one understands how it’s possible.
I’m with you, I don’t have debt because personally if I can’t afford to buy something outright then I don’t have it. Only thing I’ve had on finance is a £10k car, which I paid off within a year so I didn’t pay the interest on it.
In my area, it is much cheaper to buy than to rent, but each to their own I guess. Plus, I don’t like the idea of paying a landlord every month. And there are many benefits to owning a home. I find it interesting, and of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Also, investing is not guaranteed and you cannot pass anything on if renting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
In my area, it is much cheaper to buy than to rent, but each to their own I guess. Plus, I don’t like the idea of paying a landlord every month. And there are many benefits to owning a home. I find it interesting, and of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Also, investing is not guaranteed and you cannot pass anything on if renting.
I can’t pass bricks and mortar on no, but I can pass money on. I don’t just invest in banks etc, I invest in items too.

Reactions: 2
I'm 29 and have never had any debt, other than my mortgage. I used to work for am insolvency practitioner and it scared me half to death 😔

I owe £140,000 mortgage on my house, that's worth about £320,000. It's my second house and we borrowed a little extra for the building work we had done.

Never borrowed for our wedding or cars, but the lack of a decent pension scares me half to death.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Credit cards with £7,500 ☹ Is it worth taking a bank loan to pay them off? Anyone know how this will effect my credit score.. currently only managing min payments on them but really want to get them gone? Feel like a consolidated loan and closing the accounts may help?

Credit cards with £7,500 ☹ Is it worth taking a bank loan to pay them off? Anyone know how this will effect my credit score.. currently only managing min payments on them but really want to get them gone? Feel like a consolidated loan and closing the accounts may help?
Yes, I’d recommend a bank loan and consolidate. That’s what I did, and I’ll have it all paid off in 5 years. As long as you can afford the monthly repayment. I’d recommend using comparison websites to find the best deal. I used money saving expert, but ultimately went to my personal bank as they’d written to me prior to offer a loan.

Last edited:
I owe 6k on my car but I don’t see that as a debt as such. It’s a 4 year pcp agreement and I could just give it back in a year and be done with it. I won’t tho, I’ll swap it for another car 😂 I owe £100 on a student credit card I’ve had for about 10 years and pay £5 a month off it. Everything else is short term debt... like I have a next card and I will spend one month but pay the full balance off the next month.
Why won't you just pay off that 100?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Aside from my mortgage, I've got about £15k in a bank loan racked up through a very leechy ex. In hindsight I was such a mug 🙈

But I start a new job on Monday with a good pay rise so I'm going to start overpaying whenever I can to pay it off sooner 😊

Joint mortgage with the husband, he pays it but its technically my debt as well.

Personally just a bit on the credit card which im fine with.

• Wow
Roughly £50k student debt and £150k mortgage. But I’m not counting them!!

I don’t count my mortgage - yes it’s borrowing and repaying but that’s just my preference.

£1k on a loan
£7k on credit card
£2k wedding borrowing

Using the snowball method to clear it, paying more off the loan when I can, the credit card is cut up so can’t add to my debt too so can only decrease. It’s not been nice saying no to doing or buying things but just thinking, one day I’ll be clear to save what I’m paying off and have nice things I’ve earned rather than borrowed on credit or an overdraft for!

Roughly £50k student debt and £150k mortgage. But I’m not counting them!!
Good grief, what sort of uni course means racking up £50K of student debt? Genuinely interested, not being critical. I know some courses take years - veterinary surgeon 7 years, for example.