How much debt are you actually in?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
£180k mortgage on a house worth about £360k
£500 on one credit card , my personal one
We got an interest free credit card to pay for my car , we know this will be paid off before the interest free runs out in about 2 years
8k I think loan .
All are manageable , we both have to work tho to make sure it all gets paid but we don't go without either

Good grief, what sort of uni course means racking up £50K of student debt? Genuinely interested, not being critical. I know some courses take years - veterinary surgeon 7 years, for example.
My daughter is currently at Uni and will leave with 50K debt. It's now £9,250 per year for the course then she gets quite a high maintenance grant (which is dependent on our income) so that brings it to around 50K.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My daughter is currently at Uni and will leave with 50K debt. It's now £9,250 per year for the course then she gets quite a high maintenance grant (which is dependent on our income) so that brings it to around 50K.
Wow, I don't have children so I'm not really in the loop about uni costs. Seems wrong to saddle youngsters with such huge debts when they're only just starting out.

Reactions: 5
Wow, I don't have children so I'm not really in the loop about uni costs. Seems wrong to saddle youngsters with such huge debts when they're only just starting out.
It is a lot and there's interest on top of that but they only start paying it back when they're earning £25,000. It's written off after 30 years. The debt is not taken into account when applying for a mortgage.

80k mortgage
8k car loan
4k credit card
1k Next store card
£500 Argos card

It gets me down and I worry about it a lot, but slowly we chip away at it while trying to make the most of what we have.

Reactions: 3
This year we really struggled with debt, my husband has a very well paid job but I was on maternity leave & we bought a new house before that. We failed to adjust our lifestyle & racked up some serious debt, credit cards, loans, leasing a car & other store finance. It was a very tough time & even after I returned to work part time, we never had enough money to make ends meet. Eventually I contacted step change, realising I was never getting anywhere paying the minimum amount. It was so bad they suggested I declared myself bankrupt.. which does put your house at risk so that was never an option. We both worked so hard to buy our house, we wanted to do everything & anything to protect the house. We reduced as many payments as possible & got rid of one of our cars which meant we could finally be accepted for the DMP. It has been a weight off, we actually feel like we can enjoy like again. When we worked it all out, it came to approx £43,000 for the both of us. We now pay £550 a month which means we can afford to pay our mortgage & bills. It’s still hard to budget because we live in an affluent area we do sometimes feel the pressure of keeping up with the neighbours. My husband will receive a dividend from his company at the end of the tax year & we hope we can then pay a lump sum off the debt. It’s really tit.. realllllyyyy tit but there is help out there. It does feel good to only buy things with our actual money now. The day we become debt free will be a good day!
Just keep in mind that when he gets a dividend he needs to keep some money aside for his self assessment tax bill! Lots of people get caught out by that. We get billed in January and July

Reactions: 2
I have a mortgage of about 90 grand. I'm in my overdraft by 600 pounds. No car in finance and no credit cards

I'm in my late 20s and have a 130k mortgage on 50% of our house as its shared ownership, hope to buy more of it soon when remortgaging. I have probably about 20k student debt (but that doesn't count 😂).
Not really saved much since buying our house, but we don't have overdrafts and we pay credit cards the same month if used, and no car finance. Any money we do save goes towards holidays, which isn't the best idea but I like to have something to look forward to!

I have £100 on and amex, I use it as you earn cash back and then the end of the week I will pay it all off.
I’m lucky as we have no debts, even the mortgage us paid off.
However I’m 38 and my partner is 50. For a long time we drove really tit cars, had cheap holidays and did not live extravagantly. Simply so we could clear the mortgage etc.
Now our income is simply disposable. However about half is given to both our families to help out

I have student loans through SFE but I don’t seem to be making a dent in paying that back - it will be written off in like 26 years and I doubt I’ll gave paid it back before then. Seems like a bizarre system.

My car is on finance but I have no mortgage, overdraft or credit cards.

My partner is in about 4K worth of debt with pay day lenders and it’s crippling her trying to pay it back quickly. If I’m honest it really worries me as we are starting to head towards living together.

I have a small house deposit but am finding it really tricky to actually start the moving out processes. I go into a massive panic anytime I even start to look at mortgage rates etc 😰

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that when he gets a dividend he needs to keep some money aside for his self assessment tax bill! Lots of people get caught out by that. We get billed in January and July
Oh thank you. Yes, My husband knows to sort that out. Im not surprised people forget that though & spend it all!

Reactions: 1
Exactly this! It was just a journalism course. I doubt I’ll ever pay the majority of it back

Wow I’m quite shocked at all the debt. I went to uni in the 90s before tuition fees came in but I borrowed £5k plus in student loans for living costs over 3 years. I paid it back when I was 30.

After uni, I got a job 30 miles away so had to buy a car. I got a graduate loan but the car was old & tit & after throwing more & more money at it, I got a bigger loan & bought a nearly new little car. I paid it off over 5 years.

The above both put me off loans & borrowing money in general. We have a mortgage but that’s it. We used to always buy my husband’s car (he drives a lot for his job) on a 0% credit card & pay off the minimum each month then more if/ when we could. He doesn’t buy fancy/ expensive cars. Now we save up for it. We don’t go on holiday unless we have the money or buy anything we’d have to borrow for.

I was brought up poor & I think it skews your attitude towards money. It’s definitely made me a bit weird 😂

I was brought up poor & I think it skews your attitude towards money. It’s definitely made me a bit weird 😂
[/QUOTE]

I was brought up poor too, salt and pepper sandwich anyone? But was also brought up to not ask for help as my mum never would, hence my husband is sitting with about 5k savings on his account and I'm in my overdraft yet I won't admit it to him or ask him for help as I see it a failing. I know im messed up

• Sad
Reactions: 11
A few ex's left me in the tit when it came to money (I was always the higher earner in the relationships) so I started my 30's in about £18k worth of debt and nothing to show for it. A happy, grown up relationship and 3 kids later and I now earn 1/4 of what I did but only owe £3800 through Step Change and £1400 on a credit card.
Card will be paid off this year and DMP is due to be completed Nov 2021 - honestly I'm counting down the payments!!

Reactions: 4
I’ve learned my lesson the hard way. Got into debt with store cards and credit cards and luckily my dad was able to bail me out to the tune of £10k as my repayments were as much as i earned back in 1994/5. (Worked in a bank whilst at uni earning £500’a month)

Have been careful ever since but still have put about £250 on clearpay over Christmas. Mainly things I wasn’t sure if we would keep or ordering multiple items for the teens thinking we would return most of it and of course as it was Christmas feeling generous and letting them keep most of it. Will pay most of it before it’s due this month as don’t like having it hanging over me.

I have an emergency credit card locked away. And I still don’t allow myself credit as I can’t be trusted. I just like to shop so have to remove temptation.

Anyone got any tips on paying my overdraft back? It’s only £600 but I’m on a really low income using a seperate bank account at the moment

No personal debt...except for a mortgage of £430,000 on a house worth £800,000 plus
We are over paying our mortgage monthly and hope to clear it in 9 years unless we move again!

Last edited:
Anyone got any tips on paying my overdraft back? It’s only £600 but I’m on a really low income using a seperate bank account at the moment
How much is the overdraft costing you? Depending on the rate you might be better off getting a small personal loan to cover it and then pay the loan off