How much debt are you actually in?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is relatable to me as a single parent to a teenager. I am always around 3 grand in debt at any given time....clear it and then it’s Christmas again. I always put his presents on either my argos or very account with the interest free option. He loves a gadget and I’ve always got him the same as his friends have who have 2 parent households.

I have a mortgage too and a car on finance which will be paid next year but will be getting a new one. These are essentials to me so don’t class as debt.
I hear you big time, luckily her dad does all the gadgets. It’s difficult trying to keep up with peers and them not feeling left out in the social structure. my debt is just years of every day stuff really being a single parent, sometimes the food shop and petrol had to go on it. the plan is to seriously try and pay it off after our first ever abroad holiday in 2020 as currently saving my bum off to pay for that (and not add it to the CC)
Good luck getting yours paid too ☺

Reactions: 1
No debt apart from a large mortgage. About 340k outstanding on a house worth £650k. Am 31 years old. Currently on maternity leave and living off savings, when I go back to work I won’t have any personal savings, but about 8k in a joint savings account with husband. I guess I have around 1k disposable income once I have paid 60% of my salary into mine and my husbands joint account each month. Need to get much better at saving. I have had a lovely time buying pretty much whatever I want for the last 8 or so years.... big wedding, house renovation and several holidays. I use my credit card but always clear each month. Reading this has made me reialise how lucky I am and that I need to save more. I have definitely got better at buying less/ buying once and buying well. 2020 is the year that I am wanting to get this nailed. Would like to try for baby number 3 next Christmas and would like enough savings to be able to afford to take a full year off again.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I think I need to grow up in terms of my position, whilst it’s getting better, it’s far from ideal and sometimes I just cry and despair at what I’ve gotten myself into. If I could I would enter an IVA I think but my occupation prevents me from doing so. It will get better though

I dislike this as they make you feel, or me at least, like I should do it or that I’m ‘entitled’. It’s poor on their part in my opinion
Have you looked into a DMP if an IVA isn’t an option with your job? Used to work for a debt management company and could be something to look into.

Reactions: 2
I hear you big time, luckily her dad does all the gadgets. It’s difficult trying to keep up with peers and them not feeling left out in the social structure. my debt is just years of every day stuff really being a single parent, sometimes the food shop and petrol had to go on it. the plan is to seriously try and pay it off after our first ever abroad holiday in 2020 as currently saving my bum off to pay for that (and not add it to the CC)
Good luck getting yours paid too ☺
I probably could reign things in a bit. We’ve been to Orlando twice in the last 3 years but then I think you only live once...he’ll be 18 next year so won’t want to come on holiday with me and I’m glad we’ve had some amazing experiences

Reactions: 5
Have about 7k on credit cards but they are only for when we have made big purchases and instead of taking money out of savings (which is earning reasonable interest) we stick it on a 0% credit card and pay it off before it becomes interest bearing.

Mortgage on the house and then husband has his student loan. Before I was on mat leave we would overpay the maximum we could on our mortgage every year and will continue to do so once I go back to work.

Reactions: 3
Absolutely tit tons of debt. Embarrassing amounts.

We’ve recently changed bank accounts that has lots of helpful things with it so for the past few months I’ve been running our current account much better and so I really think 2020 is the year we take a good chunk of it off and move forward.

It breaks my heart to think of the lovely things we could be doing with the payments we make on it each month 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Absolutely tit tons of debt. Embarrassing amounts.

We’ve recently changed bank accounts that has lots of helpful things with it so for the past few months I’ve been running our current account much better and so I really think 2020 is the year we take a good chunk of it off and move forward.

It breaks my heart to think of the lovely things we could be doing with the payments we make on it each month 😩
There are alot of charities that can give you useful information. When i took on too much debt there was a company called Step Change (Citizen Advice also good) they were brilliant and informative, i didn't go with them as i had a management plan with the creditor in question so didn't require their help.

Reactions: 2
Age 31
Mortgage 46k
Credit card £1800
Personal loan £2900
Owe my mum £1750 from when she helped me buy out an ex a while ago
I definitely regret a lot of credit card purchases and don’t buy anything new on it, just slowly clearing it.

£88,000 on my mortgage,no other debts. No credit cards or store cards and no overdraft.

It's a very long story of how we got into such a mess but here is the short version (which is still quite long 😂)

All my debt of £20,000 with various creditors (loans/credit cards/store accounts) was written off on medical grounds when I had to give up work five years ago due to a serious, chronic, lifelong illness.

My partner has almost £30,000 worth of debt, which is over half his annual salary, on three credit cards. None of them are on any kind of balance transfer and we are so hopelessly overcommitted, he cannot get another further credit.

We have been living beyond our means for years and I also developed a crippling spending addiction, which is barely under control even now. I am really trying though but it is HARD. Instagram has fuelled it too big time. We were trying to make inroads into his debt but getting nowhere.

Earlier this year, we had to finally admit defeat, after all his credit cards were finally pretty much maxed out, and we moved from our rented flat into a house owned by my partner's father. He's letting us live here rent free in order to sort ourselves out. We are saving well over £1,200 just on rent and my boyfriend's travel costs alone. His father has actually repaid two of the credit cards, to avoid the interest payments, and is deferring paying him back until we clear the other one ourselves (which we are doing by £1,000 a month) We are only spending what we have in our current account now.

We don't smoke, drink or take drugs. We eat out rarely and get a takeaway a couple of times a month. We are not extravagant at all really except for my compulsive spending. I also suffer from depression/anxiety/agoraphobia and my partner is effectively my carer even though he's never here as he works long, long hours. The last three years have been pretty grim and I have barely left the house. I was seriously thinking about suicide about eighteen months ago.

But it is a massive relief having a bit of breathing space every month now and we are even starting to having a bit of a life again. His parents are supportive of this and I'm told there will be "no judgement" from them about what we spend our money on. I think having had a snapshot into our lives, since living here, when they have stayed with us, has really opened their eyes to how bleeping tit things have been. They told me recently they wished my partner had said something sooner so they could have helped earlier.

I have been awarded standard rate PIP (hoping this will be increased to enhanced at an upcoming tribunal) and I also have a very small pension. I am determined to do something nice for both of us every month next year and have a few things booked already. I have realised I need to have something to live for, for my mental health, and my partner needs a break from work (he is a workaholic and never takes leave unless I book something and effectively force him to) We are going to lose my Mobility car in March - hoping to win that back at tribunal - but his parents have also indicated they will help us out with that too if we don't get back on the scheme. They are not particularly demonstrative people - upper middle class, stiff upper lip types - but I honestly cannot thank them enough for what they have done for us. I realise we are VERY lucky to have had this help.

Hopefully, all being well, we will be debt free by May 2022 and I am determined not to ever get into this situation again. His father has also put some money aside to help us with a deposit for our own home but that is a long way off and I have no idea what or where we'll even be able to afford by then.

Edit: just remembered we owe his parents another £3,500 from when he changed job a couple of years ago and didn't get paid for three months due to an administration issue and they had to sub us. They haven't mentioned that though! 🙈

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
From my teens unti my 30s I had loans and store cards ! Hate to think how much I spent
.I won 6k 9 years ago . It enabled me to clear my 1k overdraft and have extra maternity leave . Apart from a mortgage and car I owe nothing .
I claimed for ppi and a bank acc package charge & received 12k in total. It paid for much needed work on my house and a holiday . I'd been living off overdrafts until I was 37 ! Always got paid very well but I was stupid with money.

Zero debt.
We have a mortgage though. What is mad is our bank approved us for a mortgage for one million dollars for a house but we didn't take it as we didn't want to be "house poor." Our house cost 600+k and our downpayment was half of that. My fiance is very savvy with money and has spreadsheets for everything.

• Wow
No debt. My house was inherited so no mortgage and I didn’t have student loans. We have a credit card for emergencies if we ever can’t use a debit card, but that’s it.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Eeeeek too much!!
We’ve just brought a new house so have £210000 mortgage, my husbands car has £5500 left of finance, £10500 loan (joint which is also being overpaid) and £7000 on a credit card (also joint) which was mainly from our wedding and house purchases (0% thank the lord)
We also owe my parents £15k but I work for them so is being paid back in overtime and I have about £30000 worth of student loan .... yippeeeeeee 🥺 I like following the debt free community on Instagram it’s quite helpful. When I think of how much money goes to debt every month it makes me sick! I can’t wait for the day we can actually have that money to save!

Student loan around 9k
Leased car 3,3k to pay

We're getting mortgage of around 340-400k in the next year or so.

No other debts.

Reactions: 1
My ex was totally toxic and left me in the tit with money when we split up. I have ended up paying back a loan he took out and other debts he had racked up, by myself. There is only a couple more payments to go until I am free of it and I can’t wait. I now have a small overdraft which I have reduced massively over the years. It used to be massive when with him, I would barely manage to get out of it each month but now it’s so small and manageable. I have one credit card 0% interest with about £200 on it which I plan to pay off once Jan payday comes. No mortgage yet but I have savings and hopeful to get on the ladder in 2020. I have my student debt too but I don’t see this as am paying back directly from my salary and have been since I graduated years ago.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
US student loan debt (SO and I both have doctorates so they are hefty loans, but we pay an income driven repayment every month like clockwork) and our mortgage. Everything else we pay cash and work to save as much as possible so we can make bulk end of year payments against our student loans while also keeping about 6 months' pay in our savings account (God forbid we ever need it). We live pretty frugal - never have the latest phone or best phone plan, almost never buy clothes unless something wears out, take one holiday a year and it's usually a camping trip, etc. Feel very blessed to live this way.

Reactions: 4
Just my student loans!

Never had an over-draft as its too risky 🙈

Don’t have a mortgage yet

Own my car out-right ☺