Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

newtoyou

VIP Member
Sometimes when I wake up at 5.30am and it's dark and cold, I feel like the only person in the world that has a long commute. So I want to bond with fellow long commuters.

How long is yours, or how long was your longest ever one? Over the past 10 years, these have been mine (time is one way only)

Job 1) 10 minute drive (I was so lucky! :oops:)
Job 2) 35 min drive, 25 min train, 10 min walk
Job 3) 1 hour drive
Job 4) 35 min drive
Job 5) 45 min drive, 20 min train, 10 min walk

Eternally jealous of anyone that travels less than 30 mins, or can walk to work!

Reactions: 5

spiderpig

4 minute drive :) About a 25 minute walk but I have to get home to the dog at lunch so always drive :(

Reactions: 1

Bumblebee

Chatty Member
I have a 15 minute commute if I can get down the country lanes. They are quite often flooded at the moment though and so it takes 50-60 minutes via the main roads.
Used to have a 2 1/2 hour commute on the m4 because it was rich hour traffic. A journey that would normally take 20-30 minutes. Used to be m4 junction 10 to Slough to work at wexham park hospital. Was so glad when I moved to a hospital closer to home.

leoladyxo

VIP Member
My commute is an hour each way and I don’t mind really. I can get a good podcast on and relax into the drive!

Chunkeylaydee

VIP Member
I normally work between 10-20 minutes away from home. My longest commute was an hour and 45 minutes. Hated it!

Meh

Chatty Member
I am 15 minutes normally about 20/25 mins on a “busy” traffic morning. Pop onto a motorway and drive straight for 15 then off and directly into my work. Ideal.

the other half lives 4 miles from work. He gets up at 7am and is showered, dressed and in work for 7:30am. After years of horror commuting he’s still happy with this “new” scenario after 5 years 😂

newtoyou

VIP Member
So at the moment I leave at 6:15 and arrive at work at like 7:55.
So it is 10 minutes walk, 20 minute bus, 25 minute wait in town, 25 minute train and then a 15 minute walk. I think?

Then home I leave work at like 4:55, 15 minute walk, 25 minute train, 5 minute wait 25 minute train and then 10 minute walk so I get home at like 6:30.

It is a bit of a killer but I use the time to get stuff done. And twice a week I can leave earlier. But tbh my previous job was just as bad I just got an extra half hour in bed I’m the morning so 🤷‍♀️
not sure I could deal with that 25 minute wait! Unless it was indoors. My train station hasn’t got an indoors

Sabbie

VIP Member
Used to be over an hour, sometimes 2 with signal failures despite living only a few miles from central London. Thanks BR. Train ride plus walk to Covent Garden.

Moved countries and had a 5 minute bike ride to work.

Moved again and it's a 2min walk to home office.

Love the commute now, but hate the isolation.

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
1.5 hours door to door each way. Combination of Walking, Bus and Train. Don’t mind it, Netflix, iPlayer and my Kindle make it enjoyable

Pandafeet

30 min drive each way. Used to be an hour but that was way too long for me and cost a fortune in petrol. I've made a rule that 30mins will be my max now that I have kids

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I'm still studying and I complain when I have to travel 35 mins to the other hospital, but when I worked in a pharmacy part time it was literally less than a 6 mins walk away.

• Heart

Lalalalaaaaaa85

VIP Member
25 min walk to station (quick pit stop dropping my child off on the way), 45 min train (stood up as never any seats), 7 min tube, 5 min walk to office

my Fitbit says I walk 7 miles a day 😫

101d

VIP Member
Job 1 - half an hour drive, but then I moved, and it took around an hour
Job 2 - an hour on a good day, even though it was closer, hated it and left after one month
Current Job - 20 minute drive, quicker on the way back! :)

• Heart

Hobbitsies

So at the moment I leave at 6:15 and arrive at work at like 7:55.
So it is 10 minutes walk, 20 minute bus, 25 minute wait in town, 25 minute train and then a 15 minute walk. I think?

Then home I leave work at like 4:55, 15 minute walk, 25 minute train, 5 minute wait 25 minute train and then 10 minute walk so I get home at like 6:30.

It is a bit of a killer but I use the time to get stuff done. And twice a week I can leave earlier. But tbh my previous job was just as bad I just got an extra half hour in bed I’m the morning so 🤷‍♀️

• Sad

Web30

VIP Member
15 mins walk. We moved to this area mainly for that as I don't drive and it was 2 buses before.