How far is your commute to work?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A half hour drive down country lanes, I work in the countryside with absolutely no public transport. My commute is often longer if I get stuck behind tractors, cyclists or horses. I like my commute - it is really beautiful and I tend to see a lot of weird/funny things! It's very scary in the dark though, heavily wooded and no streetlamps.

Reactions: 2
20 minutes drive. But having previously worked somewhere that was a 5 min walk I HATE it 🤣 But the job is perfect.

50 mins seems a lot. Could you see if they offer flexible working?

A half hour drive down country lanes, I work in the countryside with absolutely no public transport. My commute is often longer if I get stuck behind tractors, cyclists or horses. I like my commute - it is really beautiful and I tend to see a lot of weird/funny things! It's very scary in the dark though, heavily wooded and no streetlamps.
Mine is like this. I often end up tucked into hedges where a HUGE rich landowner has ran me off the road driving at speed 😬😬

First time posting a thread!

Just in the process fo applying for new jobs. I’ve seen one but it’s 50minutes away via train. How far does everyone else travel daily

(when working in the office pre COVID)
Is it just the one direct train?

My commute has always been no less than 1 hour and up to just over 2 hours.

What made the biggest difference to me wasn't necessarily the travel time, but how many trains, tubes, and buses I had to catch.

My shortest commute wasn't necessarily my best, as it involved a change at a key zone 1 station that was an absolute nightmare and so busy.

My favourite commute was almost 90 minutes, but it was just on one line so I got on, always got a seat and just sat and read, did emails, or napped.

5 minute walk to the station, 35 mins to Central London, can either walk or get the tube to the office which takes about 10 minutes

previously 10 mins drive between home and work, then 45 mins drive (as I moved house to live with family) now back upto 50 mins drive as there is so much traffic everyday. thought January would be quiet but nobody seems to be WFH. I cant so I understand that people cant. The traffic is just the same as it was this time last year now tbh i used to stay with family sometimes before the first lockdown and the commute is exactly the same now as it was then

Unfortunately it involves a change at either Oxford Circus. Alter as an alternative I could just walk a few more minutes in the morning (10) and get the Piccadilly line direct.

Pre COVID it could be anywhere between 50mins to over an hour each way depending on the time I go or if there’s tube delays or rail strikes. I remember one day going to the tube station and the tube was beyond delayed and the platform was packed and it was only going to get worse further down the line so I decided to go to the train station. Got to the train station which was also packed and every thing had 20 minute delays so I sacked it off and worked from home.
One thing about the current situation is that I definitely don’t miss the stress of commuting or being crammed into a carriage like a sardine but I do miss having that focus time before work.

I feel quite lucky, it's a 30-40 minute walk depending on my pace or again a 30~ minute bus ride but I have to change buses as there is no direct route. If I'm lazy and take a cab, it's like 10 minutes which is handy for mornings where I've overslept. Considering some of my friends who get stuck in traffic for over an hour or have to brave the hell that is rush hour metro, I'm very much okay with mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Unfortunately it involves a change at either Oxford Circus. Alter as an alternative I could just walk a few more minutes in the morning (10) and get the Piccadilly line direct.
I feel for you. I used to change at TCR and when it would stop at Oxford Circus it looked like carnage.

Reactions: 3
30 minutes on a direct bus. By far my easiest commute. Though I normally drive there in the morning (about 15 minutes) and my mum drives my car back as I haven’t passed my test. (The fates are against me there) and then get the bus home.
At the moment I’m WFH everyday except Friday which makes life easier.

Reactions: 3
I feel for you. I used to change at TCR and when it would stop at Oxford Circus it looked like carnage.
Alternatively I could change at Holborn!! Don’t know which would be worse. I don’t go through central atm

• Wow
It takes me about 1 hour. It can be a bit longer if traffic is bad. It use to take me over 2.5 hours to get to work.. That was 20 min walk to station .. Overground train and two tubes. I stopped working in London because of the commute. Also trains were so packed on the way home that couldn't get on them. Spent a lot of time trying to get on a train. Then once got groped on the tube:mad: I hated travelling on the tubes.,

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 4
Alternatively I could change at Holborn!! Don’t know which would be worse. I don’t go through central atm
Oh man, in my 10 years working in London, my worst changes must have been at Holborn and Bank (the bottleneck to get to the DLR is brutal).

15 minutes by car.
My job before was at the other end of town so depending on the time of day it took me 35 minutes (on a good day) but more often 45-65 minutes. Was definitely not worth it, considering it was only a student part time job 😅

20-30 mins drive now (about 10 miles). Last job was 40 miles away and would take around an hour. Hated it. I would commute longer if I could take public transport as driving home after a long stressful day is not fun