How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve done slimming world and lost a few stone but never long term, always gained again.

During lockdown I have started calorie counting using an app called calorie counter. It’s amazing! I am loving calorie counting so far. I don’t deny myself anything I really want but I am making my self accountable by RECORDING EVERY THING! It’s so easy to chomp your way through a whole packet of biscuits! But if you at least write it down you are being accountable for your actions...

it’s not so much About ‘calories’ for me but other things - you get to track how much protein, fibre, etc you are getting. I quickly realised I am hungry a lot because my diet is carb heavy. I started eating more protein. I still have ‘bad’ things - I will never give up Lurpak butter, but I have less, and I balance it out across the day (lurpak on toast = fine, but no chocolate later 🤷‍♀️). I finally feel like I am learning about what’s in food and what I should be having. You don’t restrict yourself like you do on SW so it’s more sustainable long term

Reactions: 4
Hi guys, hope you don’t mind me joining in mid May 😂 I need a kick up the bum and really think joining in this thread will help my motivation!
I’m about to turn 30 and wow my weight is stubborn now. I remember being 22 and eating and drinking whatever I liked and had the body of Victoria secret model (ok maybe not quite that 😂) but I hit 26 and it’s slowly crept on and I need to sort it out! I weigh about 11 stone and I’m 5’5, would ideally like to weigh 9ish.
to be honest it’s not really the scales that bother me, it’s my clothes. Nothing fits, I feel bloated and miserable.

I’ve just started intermittent fasting (eating 12-8) and cutting out snacks and wine (😭)

I’m a bit of a nightmare and struggle to stick to any diet, I get bored of distracted but I really want this to work!

sorry for the rambling!!

Reactions: 2
Forgot how great ice pops are as a sweet treat! Found some vimto ones in Poundland they are literally 18 calories. Always forget how low cal these things are.

also if you crave pizza like me I found the NICEST pizza in Iceland. It’s microwave but doesn’t go soggy at all! It’s 350 calories and so bloody nice I was so surprised just how yummy it is. To me it’s tasted like Pizza Hut!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Forgot how great ice pops are as a sweet treat! Found some vimto ones in Poundland they are literally 18 calories. Always forget how low cal these things are.

also if you crave pizza like me I found the NICEST pizza in Iceland. It’s microwave but doesn’t go soggy at all! It’s 350 calories and so bloody nice I was so surprised just how yummy it is. To me it’s tasted like Pizza Hut!
I love this pizza 😍😂

Reactions: 1
Has anyone got any snack ideas which are fairly filling but low cal?
I do rice cakes with small amounts of cream cheese and yoghurt with berries but I’m bored of both

I do rice cakes with small amounts of cream cheese and yoghurt with berries but I’m bored of both
might be a bit weird but I make a big bowl of veggies. Brussels sprouts or broccoli usually and then I make up a small amount of gravy to put on top. it’s only about 100 calories and totally yummy 😂

popcorn is always a good shout you can have quite a lot without going mad on calories!

i like raw carrots and celery with salsa dip too. Salsa is so low calorie!

New York bagel company do a thin bagel tomato and herb flavour which is amazing and I think about 120 calories! Love those will a dairylea triangle on.

I really like Asda own brand fibre one bars they are so much nicer than the original. Or Alpen light bars.

apples with a small amount of peanut butter or nut butter.

Sometimes i mash a banana and and some porridge oats and bake them in the oven to make little cookies. They’re nice with some yoghurt.

reddit has been a great source of snack ideas. The subs 1200 is plenty and 1500 is plenty are so good and helpful!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
might be a bit weird but I make a big bowl of veggies. Brussels sprouts or broccoli usually and then I make up a small amount of gravy to put on top. it’s only about 100 calories and totally yummy 😂

popcorn is always a good shout you can have quite a lot without going mad on calories!

i like raw carrots and celery with salsa dip too. Salsa is so low calorie!

New York bagel company do a thin bagel tomato and herb flavour which is amazing and I think about 120 calories! Love those will a dairylea triangle on.

I really like Asda own brand fibre one bars they are so much nicer than the original. Or Alpen light bars.

apples with a small amount of peanut butter or nut butter.

Sometimes i mash a banana and and some porridge oats and bake them in the oven to make little cookies. They’re nice with some yoghurt.

reddit has been a great source of snack ideas. The subs 1200 is plenty and 1500 is plenty are so good and helpful!
thank you for all of those! Great ideas! 💛

I’ve started doing something I saw Jamie Oliver do when I want a sweet treat - freeze some cut up banana, then in a food processor or nutri bullet blitz with some Greek yoghurt and cinnamon and it’s just like really creamy ice cream.

My weight slowly creeped up after a trip travelling around the world eating/drinking whatever I want and throughout lockdown and I would now like to loose 1 maybe 2 stone.

Does anyone have any good meal ideas especially for lunches that are cheap and easy to prepare?

I have found myself eating a lot more carbs during lockdown due to the cheapness of bread and pasta etc

I’ve been trying to eat better than i did before lockdown here are some snacks/meals i love that are some what healthy:

porridge with nut butter and fruit
super noodles 20p a pack at asda
avocado with poached eggs and salmon
salads i usually mix it up like pineapple chicken mango and rocket for a colourful one
healthy smoothies like spinach lemon and apples

I completely agree with the cheapness of certain foods lidl’s are very good for healthy foods

I love an omelette, great for using up bits in the fridge too. Frozen veg is a great saver as nothing goes off, I tend to stick peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots into 5% mince with some tinned tomatoes for a slag Bol or add spice and kidney beans for a chilli. The more veg the further it goes. Nice big salad so less pasta/rice.

My weight slowly creeped up after a trip travelling around the world eating/drinking whatever I want and throughout lockdown and I would now like to loose 1 maybe 2 stone.

Does anyone have any good meal ideas especially for lunches that are cheap and easy to prepare?

I have found myself eating a lot more carbs during lockdown due to the cheapness of bread and pasta etc
.Do you mean to take to work or eat at home? Aldi is very cheap for salads, fruit and veg.

1st June tomorrow, and a Monday. So hopefully will get people raring to go again.

How was May for everyone? I lost.... nothing LOL. I maintained. However I exercised for 15 mins a day, for I think 25 days (TOTM set me back). I really enjoyed exercising. I went for runs too. My body shape has changed despite no weight lost.

Bread bloats me so I have cut it down (Not out). I love to snack so that's my downfall. But I'm looking forward to continuing.

Reactions: 5
I’m doing terribly. I can’t bare to weigh myself. Been cutting back for three weeks now but I know I’m lying to myself about what I’m actually eating. 😶

• Heart
1st June tomorrow, and a Monday. So hopefully will get people raring to go again.

How was May for everyone? I lost.... nothing LOL. I maintained. However I exercised for 15 mins a day, for I think 25 days (TOTM set me back). I really enjoyed exercising. I went for runs too. My body shape has changed despite no weight lost.

Bread bloats me so I have cut it down (Not out). I love to snack so that's my downfall. But I'm looking forward to continuing.
I gained hugely! Hoping to lose it in June!

• Heart
I'm also struggling, I have gained nearly a stone. However I am still working but walking to work everyday which is 20 minutes each way. I honestly don't think my eating has been all that bad but clearly it has. I've also been drinking a lot more than usual and drinking wine. I've struggling with an ED in the past which has led me to have an up and down relationship with food where have been on on both ends of the scale. Binge etc. I'm now at my heaviest I have been in years and my mood is very low. I've decided to come of my pill and to stop taking my antidepressants to see if that helps as so much of my mood is focused on my weight but sometimes I cant find motivation because of my mood, its a bad cycle. There's not a day or hour goes by that I don't obsess, I've gone 6 months without dieting and maintained a good weight so scared to fall back into a diet trap. But I feel I need to track to lose. Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of my self! My husband said I should go to drs and talk about coming of my anti depressants - but I've just stopped myself? I'm 5"7 and 13.8 this morning usually around 12.7 and was 10 st when I developed my ED.

• Heart
I'm also struggling, I have gained nearly a stone. However I am still working but walking to work everyday which is 20 minutes each way. I honestly don't think my eating has been all that bad but clearly it has. I've also been drinking a lot more than usual and drinking wine. I've struggling with an ED in the past which has led me to have an up and down relationship with food where have been on on both ends of the scale. Binge etc. I'm now at my heaviest I have been in years and my mood is very low. I've decided to come of my pill and to stop taking my antidepressants to see if that helps as so much of my mood is focused on my weight but sometimes I cant find motivation because of my mood, its a bad cycle. There's not a day or hour goes by that I don't obsess, I've gone 6 months without dieting and maintained a good weight so scared to fall back into a diet trap. But I feel I need to track to lose. Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of my self! My husband said I should go to drs and talk about coming of my anti depressants - but I've just stopped myself? I'm 5"7 and 13.8 this morning usually around 12.7 and was 10 st when I developed my ED.
Not ranting at all! You sound just like me! It’s a new day and new month, starting fresh. I’m trying to have a healthy mindset instead of obsessing! Joined rwl as it was free for 3 months for nhs workers and I’m going to try and remain in Calories (not calorie count strictly as I get obsessed)
Isn’t it funny how if we word things differently we think differently!

• Heart
Is it still free? I am a NHS worker who has turned to wine! Good luck, I'm also starting today with that mindset!

Just a note about the antidepressants, depending on what you are on, dosage etc it is always recommended to talk with your doctor as sometimes there can be side effects as you adjust. Definitely worth having a chat with your doctor just to be safe