How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With the 30 day shred you'll do 10 days on 3 different levels which get harder as you go along, but usually after 3-4 days of each level you get used to it!

There's 3 circuits and each circuit includes 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minutes of abs and you won't do any exercise for longer than one minute so it ends up going quite quickly. There are also "beginner" versions of most moves which you can do if you struggle with any.

You'll ache like hell the first few days but it'll lessen and I swear by the shred whenever I want to tone up quickly! You can either get the dvd online or just google "30 day shred level 1" and you'll find the video online 🙂
Thanks so much for this definitely think I’m going to look into it and start 1st May! 😊

Reactions: 1
Hello - Long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm currently trying to lose weight (A LOT OF WEIGHT) and was doing great until the lockdown (18 lbs since New Years Day). Unfortunately I'm on the NHS shielding list so I'm unable to leave my property which really restricts what I can and cannot do. Before lockdown I was aiming for 500 kCals, 30 minutes and 5000 steps of exercise per day as a minimum with a quite loose diet.
On the plus side, I've been able to get up and down the stairs in my small terraced house about 20-30 times a day and although I can no longer do the 5k steps a day, I'm still losing about 1lb per week which is something.
Ps. For anyone wanting to lose weight, I cannot recommend a fitbit or an apple watch enough. I got an old 1st generation Apples watch last summer for about £100 and it's been a life changer. Before that I was a yo-yo weight loser and now it's coming off and staying off.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’d like to join in too 👋
I’ve put on so much weight during lockdown but have been eating healthier using MFP for the last 3 days. I’d like to lose 2 stone by September but have about 4-5 to lose.
I’ve got an underactive thyroid and find it incredibly hard to lose weight so might just have to focus on my measurements instead as it gets really demotivating seeing no loss week after week. Coupled with a lack of energy I do find it hard. But I am going to try my best.
I did have a fit bit and loved it but it broke so need to replace x

I tried every diet over the years and have always been a yo-yo dieter. I’ve kept it off for 2 yrs now and can honestly say that the book (and accompanying CD) ‘I can make you thin’ by Paul McKenna changed my whole approach and attitude to food. I know it sounds corny, and I scoffed at it too at first. A friend recommended it to me and I only bought the book bcos I figured well at £9.99 that was only a week or two of Slimming World membership (so I could put off going back for 2 weeks) and what harm could it do? I chuckled with my husband that I was reading such utter rubbish. But do you know what, I read the book, followed the techniques, listen to the CD, and the weight fell off and I was eating food I loved!

I know I sound like an ambassador or influencer but I’m not; it just changed my attitude so profoundly and I would never go back to any diet now.

His ethos is essentially that every diet out there is a fast-track to long-term failure, and it makes you address WHY you over eat. For example, one of the exercises in the book encourages you to put a post-it note on your snack-drawer/fridge/food cupboards saying “What do you REALLY want?”. Of course the humorous part of me would answer “A bleeping biscuit!”, but the exercises I the book help you to delve deeper and I can honestly say that taking 30 seconds to consider that question brought me to tears in the first week. Because you know what sometimes I was lonely and needed a hug, sometimes stressed and wanted to hit something, often just bored, but SO often I was just filling that void with food. I guess it’s different for everyone but his book helped me to address the root causes more than any other system in my 40 yrs on this earth!
I might try this, thank you.
My teenage self listened to Paul McKenna’s ‘how to be confident’, bless - I think it worked 🤣

Hello 1st of May starters! May I join?

I've weighed in.. I have 1 stone to lose. For my build if I lost more I'd look too gaunt.

I'm not weighing until 31st May. Reading all the comments I'm going to try the 30 day shred. Not changing my diet though, I value food too much lol.

Good luck guys

Reactions: 4
I’ve decided to Join in today and start.

mum going to do Slim in 6 on YouTube
Plus use the upstairs or downstairs toilet depending where I am in the house.

Reactions: 2
Hope everyone’s day 1 went well! I’ve been sticking to diet / exercise for about a week and a half now solidly and feel good for it! I was a bit naughty yday and ate 2 cookies but went on a brisk walk in the evening to make up for it 😂

Hi all. I've put on at least half a stone since lock down. I was a stone overweight anyway and I'm only 5ft so I look huge. I can't stop snacking and eating to try and cheer myself up. Has anyone got any advice please. I used to run which helped my fitness but after having a baby a year ago my pelvic floor doesn't like running very much! 😭😢

Any tips would be great. Thanks x
You need to be honest with yourself. Track everything you eat on an app like my fitness pal. Move more. Burn more calories than you consume. That is the ONLY way to lose fat. You can do it xx

I had a baby five weeks ago and I know I should cut myself some slack but it’s my 3rd and the weight isn’t falling off like it did with the other two. I’m not skinny anyway but I went Bach to my starting weight quickly with the others. This one I’m 1 st 10 above my starting weight... lockdown isn’t helping because I’m not doing school runs and generally running about like I would have been. I do ok all day and then when everybody is asleep I treat myself for getting through the day! I’m combi feeding so I’m probably not even burning that many calories through that. Part of me is like cut yourself some slack you’ve had a baby in lockdown and have two other kids and a husband who’s on conference calls all day just get through this sane and the other part is that’s not excuse not to eat well. I’m not talking about really restrictive. I’ve followed sw in the past and you’re allowed extra hex when you’re feeding although they’ve just told me to work out how many my body can cope with and still lose because of combi feeding rather than full feeding. It’s ok in lockdown to look fluffy .... I’m fluffy anyway but I have a fluff level I’m happy with and one I’m not 😂

I tried every diet over the years and have always been a yo-yo dieter. I’ve kept it off for 2 yrs now and can honestly say that the book (and accompanying CD) ‘I can make you thin’ by Paul McKenna changed my whole approach and attitude to food. I know it sounds corny, and I scoffed at it too at first. A friend recommended it to me and I only bought the book bcos I figured well at £9.99 that was only a week or two of Slimming World membership (so I could put off going back for 2 weeks) and what harm could it do? I chuckled with my husband that I was reading such utter rubbish. But do you know what, I read the book, followed the techniques, listen to the CD, and the weight fell off and I was eating food I loved!

I know I sound like an ambassador or influencer but I’m not; it just changed my attitude so profoundly and I would never go back to any diet now.

His ethos is essentially that every diet out there is a fast-track to long-term failure, and it makes you address WHY you over eat. For example, one of the exercises in the book encourages you to put a post-it note on your snack-drawer/fridge/food cupboards saying “What do you REALLY want?”. Of course the humorous part of me would answer “A bleeping biscuit!”, but the exercises I the book help you to delve deeper and I can honestly say that taking 30 seconds to consider that question brought me to tears in the first week. Because you know what sometimes I was lonely and needed a hug, sometimes stressed and wanted to hit something, often just bored, but SO often I was just filling that void with food. I guess it’s different for everyone but his book helped me to address the root causes more than any other system in my 40 yrs on this earth!
I’m trying this at the minute... well half heartedly. I’m listening to the hypnosis at night and really trying to be more mindful when I’m eating. It’s hard though when we’re eating in shifts because the baby wants to be held so I’m ramming the food down so I can take over and my husband can eat

I had a baby five weeks ago and I know I should cut myself some slack but it’s my 3rd and the weight isn’t falling off like it did with the other two. I’m not skinny anyway but I went Bach to my starting weight quickly with the others. This one I’m 1 st 10 above my starting weight... lockdown isn’t helping because I’m not doing school runs and generally running about like I would have been. I do ok all day and then when everybody is asleep I treat myself for getting through the day! I’m combi feeding so I’m probably not even burning that many calories through that. Part of me is like cut yourself some slack you’ve had a baby in lockdown and have two other kids and a husband who’s on conference calls all day just get through this sane and the other part is that’s not excuse not to eat well. I’m not talking about really restrictive. I’ve followed sw in the past and you’re allowed extra hex when you’re feeding although they’ve just told me to work out how many my body can cope with and still lose because of combi feeding rather than full feeding. It’s ok in lockdown to look fluffy .... I’m fluffy anyway but I have a fluff level I’m happy with and one I’m not 😂

I’m trying this at the minute... well half heartedly. I’m listening to the hypnosis at night and really trying to be more mindful when I’m eating. It’s hard though when we’re eating in shifts because the baby wants to be held so I’m ramming the food down so I can take over and my husband can eat
Definitely cut yourself some slack, wowzers. 😘

You sound like a Wonder Woman to me x
Thank you! I’ve tried in the past and not succeeded so currently I’m aiming for us to be in some sort of clean clothing, teeth and hair brushed and fed. If I manage that I given myself a high five 😂

Thank you! I’ve tried in the past and not succeeded so currently I’m aiming for us to be in some sort of clean clothing, teeth and hair brushed and fed. If I manage that I given myself a high five 😂
I’ve only got to manage that for myself 🤣

• Haha
I've also gained some weight so I started intermittent fasting like 10 days ago. I'm only eating between 11 am and 7 pm but will probably shift it to 12 to 8 pm. First days were hard and I was usually very hungry but it's going well now . I'm not counting calories but noticed that I eat a bit healthier. I still eat chocolate though. Haven't really checked if I've already lost weight but haven't gained more I think. I'll also try to go on daily walks and take the bike whenever I can (like tomorrow 10km to the hairdresser, instead of taking public transport .. Yes they'll open where I live)

I can’t reccomend a Fitbit enough, seeing the numbers prompts me to do more steps, more active minutes, it can tell you how much you burned during a work out and what your heart rate was. It also tracks sleep and you can track your food (calories and macros). You also get a weekly report of how much exercise you’ve done and it’s good to challenge yourself to do better than the week before.
I also started using my fitbit again. You can also do "challenges" with friends. That really motivated me two years ago. If anybody wants to, we could also do a challenge for motivation / encouragement. Just have to find out if it's possible to connect without giving your full name. 🤔

Last edited:
I've also gained some weight so I started intermittent fasting like 10 days ago. I'm only eating between 11 am and 7 pm but will probably shift it to 12 to 8 pm. First days were hard and I was usually very hungry but it's going well now . I'm not counting calories but noticed that I eat a bit healthier. I still eat chocolate though. Haven't really checked if I've already lost weight but haven't gained more I think. I'll also try to go on daily walks and take the bike whenever I can (like tomorrow 10km to the hairdresser, instead of taking public transport .. Yes they'll open where I live)

I also started using my fitbit again. You can also do "challenges" with friends. That really motivated me two years ago. If anybody wants to, we could also do a challenge for motivation / encouragement. Just have to find out if it's possible to connect without giving your full name. 🤔
How are hairdressers open where you live out of curiosity? The government said they should be closed to adhere to social distancing? Bit ridiculous some are still open and blatantly flouting the rules in my opinion 🙄

How are hairdressers open where you live out of curiosity? The government said they should be closed to adhere to social distancing? Bit ridiculous some are still open and blatantly flouting the rules in my opinion 🙄

Germany. They are allowed to open tomorrow. Masks are mandatory. Disposable capes... and you have to write down your contact details so they can track you down quickly in case another customer tests positive... I have needed a hair cut since February. Due to different circumstances, I couldn't do it back then, then lockdown came and now I look like a clown.

Reactions: 3

Germany. They are allowed to open tomorrow. Masks are mandatory. Disposable capes... and you have to write down your contact details so they can track you down quickly in case another customer tests positive... I have needed a hair cut since February. Due to different circumstances, I couldn't do it back then, then lockdown came and now I look like a clown.
Ahhh sorry I assumed the U.K.!! 😂 do you feel safe going for it? Not sure how I’m going to feel having one once we’re allowed in the UK

Ahhh sorry I assumed the U.K.!! 😂 do you feel safe going for it? Not sure how I’m going to feel having one once we’re allowed in the UK
I'm a bit nervous but I'm also feeling relatively safe... we will both wear masks, he will wear gloves, they'll disinfect the chair after each client... And it's the first day they are open and I have an early appointment so I'm maybe the third customer.... They won't offer drinks, waiting area is closed, no magazines to read... Bigger distance between chairs / clients... I think I'm more at risk on the street when some morons don't keep enough distance and don't wear masks.

Reactions: 3
I'm a bit nervous but I'm also feeling relatively safe... we will both wear masks, he will wear gloves, they'll disinfect the chair after each client... And it's the first day they are open and I have an early appointment so I'm maybe the third customer.... They won't offer drinks, waiting area is closed, no magazines to read... Bigger distance between chairs / clients... I think I'm more at risk on the street when some morons don't keep enough distance and don't wear masks.
To be fair those measures sound really good! I hope places here do it in a similar way whenever they reopen. Good that you’re an early appointment too, I’d never have thought of that. Hope you stay safe anyway 😊

To be fair those measures sound really good! I hope places here do it in a similar way whenever they reopen. Good that you’re an early appointment too, I’d never have thought of that. Hope you stay safe anyway 😊
Did you hear gove say that a degree of constraint would be needed for some time but they wanted to get us back to a reasonable normal.,. I expect it will be these sorts of measures by which they’ll do it. I have a mobile hairdresser but I think I feel better going to a salon like it’s described above than having somebody in my home.