How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't really track calories as I find it super time consuming and also disheartening, but do occasionally log meals into myfitnesspal. I thought about having a food diary where I just log everything I eat as that might work better for me - but maybe if I do properly track calories for a couple of weeks it'll give me an idea of whether or not I'm in a true deficit? I always thought I had a good, balanced diet so chances are it's probably not as balanced as I like to believe! Thanks for the input!

I personally find macros SO confusing! I understand the basic idea that calories in must be lower than calories out to be on the right track to achieve weightloss, and I use a TDEE to get a rough idea of where I need to be. Thank you!!

This leads me to admit I'm probably not pushing myself as hard as I could on my walks. Maybe picking up my pace would encourage a difference. I don't have a smart watch but have contemplated it on and off over the years. Could you recommend one - I always looked at the fitbit charge 3? As I'm saving money on gym memberships at the moment maybe it's finally time to invest! I also can't wear it at work (I work 8-10 hours a day full time constantly on my feet) but would it still log steps if it's in my pocket or does that defeat the point? Super helpful response!
What type of smartphone have you? Samsung has a tracker on it.. samsung health.. you can count steps.. km per hour everything with it without buying another gadget

Lost 3 pounds this week! Granted half of that is probably water weight but I’m pleased the week of cutting back has paid off. Feel a bit more motivated to stick with it now.

Reactions: 11
Calorie deficit and daily walks helped me lose four and a half stone over a 18 month period, I lost it slowly and steadily instead of crash dieting and it helped me understand my relationship with food as I was a binge eater when under stress or feeling down.
I’ve naturally put some weight on from being on lockdown and going through furlough but I have started couch 2 5K and it’s really helping my mind and hopefully I will lose the extra weight I’ve gained.
For years I did SW, shakes, even weight loss pills and in the end, the only thing that actually worked for me long term and didn’t make me scared of certain food groups and restrict binge was the calorie counting and eat better move more approach.
What exactly is calorie deficit ? Is it eating set amount of calories per day

Reactions: 1
This leads me to admit I'm probably not pushing myself as hard as I could on my walks. Maybe picking up my pace would encourage a difference. I don't have a smart watch but have contemplated it on and off over the years. Could you recommend one - I always looked at the fitbit charge 3? As I'm saving money on gym memberships at the moment maybe it's finally time to invest! I also can't wear it at work (I work 8-10 hours a day full time constantly on my feet) but would it still log steps if it's in my pocket or does that defeat the point? Super helpful response!
I used to have a Fitbit charge and loved it. I’ve got an Apple watch now which I also love. Just had a quick look at the charge 3 and it looks like it has all the basic features eg Measures heart rate, walking pace. They’re a great investment, I use mine from the minute I wake to the minute I sleep and it constantly motivates me. Not sure about it working in a pocket, it may well do. I know if I forget to put my Apple watch on but have my iPhone in my pocket it counts steps on that too... Fitbit may have something similar through the app. I’d definitely recommend one even just for tracking walking and workouts, I love reading the stats afterwards!

I’m thinking of doing 30 day shred but I am a complete novice, have no clue about exercise what so ever and really feel the pain and muscle aches after trying any so struggle to go back. Any advice.
Don't know if anyone else has answered you yet as haven't read all replies. I LOVE the 30 day shred and I've done it a few times! I don't really need to lose weight as I'm 5'7" and 9st12 but used to be slimmer so sometimes feel a bit chubby and the 30 day shred is insane for even just toning up honestly.

I'm doing it again now and I'm on day 12. Honestly give it a go, by day 5 you'll be feeling so good about it!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I haven't read all the comments but I am coping by a good walk each day and really taking a long time planning and cooking our evening meal, after a light breakfast and lunch. I appreciate not everyone has the interest or ingredients, but I find really focussing on one good meal (nearly!) stops the snacking cravings. I sort of channel it all into that. Healthy and hearty.
So bloody easy just to sit around eating crisps though.

What exactly is calorie deficit ? Is it eating set amount of calories per day
A deficit means you burn off more than you eat. There’s a way of working it out call TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) in which you enter your height and weight and it will give you the amount of calories you need to maintain that weight.
In order to lose you would take that figure and subtract calories to reach a deficit. For example if your maintenance was 2000 and you wanted to lose some weight, if you cut down to 1500 a day over a week that would give you a deficit of 3500 which would be about 1lb fat loss. As a general rule a lb of fat = 3500 calories.

I don’t know if I explained that very well but it is simple once you look into it.

Reactions: 2
Thank you 👍
The app my fitness pal is a godsend if your interested. There is truly no quick fix for loosing weight, I laughed when one of my friends has posts up on Facebook now joined some slimming thing where you drink coffee or something, I havnt asked the ins and outs for a know for sure it's a sham, same girl on snap chat of garlic Kiev and 10baby potatoes with fried bacon threw it... yeah sure have a coffee after thatll wash it all away.. shame ppl get stucked so far with nonsense, dieting is one of the biggest money industry ie. Gyms, fitbits, juices, foods, diet plans, pt's. you can do it without gadgets if you want to.. but you HAVE to want to and do it, it's for you no1 else. Believe it or not mary across the road doesn't really give 2 fiddlers if you are size 10 or 20

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I've been walking an hour a day and calorie deficit is my aim.
I am loosing between 1-2 lb a week.
Can also recommended my fitness pal for tracking food and calorie intake.

Reactions: 2
I can’t reccomend a Fitbit enough, seeing the numbers prompts me to do more steps, more active minutes, it can tell you how much you burned during a work out and what your heart rate was. It also tracks sleep and you can track your food (calories and macros). You also get a weekly report of how much exercise you’ve done and it’s good to challenge yourself to do better than the week before.

Reactions: 5
I don't really track calories as I find it super time consuming and also disheartening, but do occasionally log meals into myfitnesspal. I thought about having a food diary where I just log everything I eat as that might work better for me - but maybe if I do properly track calories for a couple of weeks it'll give me an idea of whether or not I'm in a true deficit? I always thought I had a good, balanced diet so chances are it's probably not as balanced as I like to believe! Thanks for the input!

I personally find macros SO confusing! I understand the basic idea that calories in must be lower than calories out to be on the right track to achieve weightloss, and I use a TDEE to get a rough idea of where I need to be. Thank you!!

Can you wear it round your ankle ? I know it sounds silly but if you wear trousers and it's just your wrists you need to keep clear, you can get adjustable straps in assorted sizes 🙂

Can you wear it round your ankle ? I know it sounds silly but if you wear trousers and it's just your wrists you need to keep clear, you can get adjustable straps in assorted sizes 🙂
I could wear it round my ankle if this would work!! Thats a fab idea

• Heart
In terms of home workouts Whitney Simmons has been my holy grail on youtube and on instagram

So I did a swap around from my winter wardrobe to my summer wardrobe this weekend - mainly just to give me something to do - no one is going anywhere at the moment are we?

So I tried on all my summer dresses from last year and half of them no longer fit/very tight 😞

So it’s the kick up the bum for me to change some habits. I know my issues are not staying hydrated, too many snacks and not enough fruit and veggies so going to focus on those for now but I really want to add some exercise into my day. I feel like such a slob being at home. I used to do around 14,000 steps a day commuting into London and just generally being out and about but even with my daily walk I’m not even hitting 10k. I was thinking about maybe trying a 30 day plan for the month of May as a kick start - does anyone have any recommendations? I saw a few people mention 30 day shred - is that the same exercises every day?

I’ve just bought scales. So will see how it goes. I’m going to start tracking again. I’ve been cooking amazing meals but not thinking about what I’m eating. Not to mention all the booze. So the MFP pants are back on.

After my lashings of toast and butter with the vodka soda.

• Haha
So I did a swap around from my winter wardrobe to my summer wardrobe this weekend - mainly just to give me something to do - no one is going anywhere at the moment are we?

So I tried on all my summer dresses from last year and half of them no longer fit/very tight 😞

So it’s the kick up the bum for me to change some habits. I know my issues are not staying hydrated, too many snacks and not enough fruit and veggies so going to focus on those for now but I really want to add some exercise into my day. I feel like such a slob being at home. I used to do around 14,000 steps a day commuting into London and just generally being out and about but even with my daily walk I’m not even hitting 10k. I was thinking about maybe trying a 30 day plan for the month of May as a kick start - does anyone have any recommendations? I saw a few people mention 30 day shred - is that the same exercises every day?
With the 30 day shred you'll do 10 days on 3 different levels which get harder as you go along, but usually after 3-4 days of each level you get used to it!

There's 3 circuits and each circuit includes 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minutes of abs and you won't do any exercise for longer than one minute so it ends up going quite quickly. There are also "beginner" versions of most moves which you can do if you struggle with any.

You'll ache like hell the first few days but it'll lessen and I swear by the shred whenever I want to tone up quickly! You can either get the dvd online or just google "30 day shred level 1" and you'll find the video online 🙂