House Prices #2 Property market, buying and selling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don’t forget even the new build will probably have a little on the meter so make sure you takes readings going in too and don’t rely on the developer. Every bit counts with the way electric is at the min
Also take a note of your meter number when setting up your new account.

Reactions: 2
I couldn't find a better thread to ask on - but we finally after a billion years managed to get a house for a not-insane price. But it needs a TON of work before it's going to be liveable, so I wondered if anyone else here had recently had a new kitchen put in (B&Q, Ikea, Homebase anything not super pricey) and what the waiting times are like for delivery and install? I've heard that John Lewis has a four month wait list for kitchens :(

• Wow
I couldn't find a better thread to ask on - but we finally after a billion years managed to get a house for a not-insane price. But it needs a TON of work before it's going to be liveable, so I wondered if anyone else here had recently had a new kitchen put in (B&Q, Ikea, Homebase anything not super pricey) and what the waiting times are like for delivery and install? I've heard that John Lewis has a four month wait list for kitchens :(
Don't know about kitchens but I'm trying to do a bathroom and it's at least a 2 month wait

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I don’t know about a wait but I would 100% choose Howdens and an independent fitter. Their stock is generally available within 24 hours.

Reactions: 7
I second about bathrooms being long waits.

My fitter is currently booking in for the new year!!

Our bathroom starts in 4 weeks. Delivery is only a few days for the items but we had to book our fitter in months ago.

I second about bathrooms being long waits.

My fitter is currently booking in for the new year!!

Our bathroom starts in 4 weeks. Delivery is only a few days for the items but we had to book our fitter in months ago.
We do have a friend who installed his own kitchen and just got someone out to do some of the harder bits (gas/plumbing I assume?) and he has offered to install ours if we can't get a fitter. I'd prefer not to go down that route as it seems like a big weight on a friendship to ask them to do something that big even though he's offered! But if the delivery time is reasonable and the fitting isn't that'll be the route we go down.

I would not have bought a house that needs a new kitchen asap but the way prices and offers are right now, it seemed like too good an opportunity to waste just for the hassle of a kitchen install. Come back to me in 2 months and I'll be regretting this :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
I'd highly recommend Ikea kitchens, we were really impressed at the quality for the price and how quickly it was delivered. Can't comment on fitting though as my father-in-law and husband did most of the work and just got gas/electric done by the professionals. The ikea kitchen design service was pretty helpful too.

Reactions: 4
A woman I work with has waited 18 months for her bathroom to be fitted, crazy!
It took us almost 4 months to get the garden done.

The contractor said that he had so many contracts at the moment that he is juggling based on the materials that he received. Since he never knows when they'll be shortages again, he tried to work as fast as possible on every property.

Some builders also stopped taking new jobs because they simply don't have basic materials to even work with. Or the cost is so high that they can't pass it on customers.

It took us almost 4 months to get the garden done.

The contractor said that he had so many contracts at the moment that he is juggling based on the materials that he received. Since he never knows when they'll be shortages again, he tried to work as fast as possible on every property.

Some builders also stopped taking new jobs because they simply don't have basic materials to even work with. Or the cost is so high that they can't pass it on customers.
It’s totally crazy. With the way prices and availability has gone at the moment we’ve ended up buying our next house because it doesn’t need bathrooms or the kitchen replacing! I just can’t be bothered with the hassle!

I'd highly recommend Ikea kitchens, we were really impressed at the quality for the price and how quickly it was delivered. Can't comment on fitting though as my father-in-law and husband did most of the work and just got gas/electric done by the professionals. The ikea kitchen design service was pretty helpful too.
I second that. We had our ikea kitchen fitted five years ago. Still looks brand new. The units are guaranteed for 25 years and the appliances 5 years. We had units, worktops, sink, tap, two ovens, fridge freezer, hob and extractor including fitting was 10K.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I second that. We had our ikea kitchen fitted five years ago. Still looks brand new. The units are guaranteed for 25 years and the appliances 5 years. We had units, worktops, sink, tap, two ovens, fridge freezer, hob and extractor including fitting was 10K.
Did you get your own fitter or use ikeas?

Reactions: 1
Did you get your own fitter or use ikeas?
My stepdad has fitted a couple of IKEA kitchens and says they are really good quality, but what will make-or-break it is the quality of the fitting. I’ve never used IKEA’s fitters but we’re thinking about a new kitchen and I’m leaning strongly towards getting the base units from IKEA, getting some doors/handles etc. from Superfront and finding a really good local fitter. The Superfront doors aren’t cheap but my space is pretty small so it’s a definite possibility.

My stepdad has fitted a couple of IKEA kitchens and says they are really good quality, but what will make-or-break it is the quality of the fitting. I’ve never used IKEA’s fitters but we’re thinking about a new kitchen and I’m leaning strongly towards getting the base units from IKEA, getting some doors/handles etc. from Superfront and finding a really good local fitter. The Superfront doors aren’t cheap but my space is pretty small so it’s a definite possibility.
That's true of any Kitchen. A great fitter will make any Kitchen look good.

I used theirs. They were really good. They rushed on the last day as they had to go to another job the following day. The kickboards weren't fitted properly. We called ikea and they sent another guy the next day.
Lovely kitchen 😍

That kitchen is stunning, but the windows probably cost £25k+ 😬

I think you could put any kitchen in that room, with that natural light and it would look amazing. (Not knocking ikea, just saying that the windows are what makes that)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.